|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Carrying 2 bikes - Motorhome and Car Dolly

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on our last rig, back when we used a tow dolly, we tried to use a hitch mount on the back of the toad that we already had and used when we weren't traveling in the motorhome. Didn't allow for the slope of the toad on the dolly which made the bikes ride too low to the ground. Just something to consider.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

harley-dave

ummm, where are we again..

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a Swagman like this between our toad and the RV. Fits on the shank of the towbar and with the bikes lifted there are no space problems. Been using it for years. Have a 2" square iron tube for the rack when we are not towing. Also have used the rack on a regular hitch when we are towing a trailer.

Dave

2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/19 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't have bikes, but when we take grandkids along, we put their bikes in the motorhome. I simply drop the table in the dinette and secure them there.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry 3 bikes two in the basement storage areas and one in the trunk of the tow car. I have two pass thru storage bays one for a ladder, table, fishing rods and other long stuff and the other for bikes. I remove the front wheel and slide one in from both sides so the front forks are almost touching. For the tow car I also remove the front wheel and put it in the trunk. I also have a bike rack that I can put on the back of the tow car to transport bikes locally or on top of a mountain and my GS and I will coast down while my wife takes the car back down the mountain. I don't use the bike rack to travel with. The bikes stay much cleaner and out of the rain than storing them on the outside.

willald

GA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had same issue several years ago. Needed to carry 4 bikes, wanted to carry them on the toad so that could take bikes places didn't want to have to bring the motorhome. For a while, carried them on a hitch mounted receiver on back of the toad. Did not like it, though, for various reasons - no access to trunk, couldn't see them back there, and always afraid one good bump was gonna rip them off there or ding up the trunk (the latter actually happened). Soooo, ditched the hitch mounted bike rack, and went to a roof mounted rack on the toad. Works soooooo much better, love it. Wish would've gone that way from the get go. Yes, it's more $$, but you can frequently get a lot of the parts for a roof rack off of eBay or Craig's list for much cheaper. Thats what I did, and saved hundreds that way. Still using the roof rack today, highly, highly recommend this approach.

* This post was edited 01/09/19 10:42am by willald *

Will
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Carrying 2 bikes - Motorhome and Car Dolly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS