|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch storage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/19 01:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

It is a two part hitch, get a friend or a young stud to give you a hand.

Just have the young stud do it all. Will help him build up muscles for local high school football team. LOL

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/19 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

It is a two part hitch, get a friend or a young stud to give you a hand.

Just have the young stud do it all. Will help him build up muscles for local high school football team. LOL

Gym rat son-in-law works, too. I buy the beer, he lifts, we drink beer. [emoticon] Before the s-i-l, I got a cheap engine hoist ($100, sold the engine stand for $50), extended the boom a bit, and used that to lift out my Companion in one piece. Dropped it on a $10 Harbor Freight furniture dolly.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My new hitch doesn't come apart into 2 pieces and is too heavy to remove by myself. I do exactly what the OP described:

[image]

That said, I priced out the Mopar Curt hitch and it seemed awfully expensive for what it is. I'd consider a different puck-mounted hitch.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/19 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

op wrote:

Really just wanted to know if my idea was ok.

Only Mopar or Curt that supplies your warranty can tell you if its ok to leave their hitch hanging from its jaws.

Two of the four hitch brands I've used their mfg said they didn't recommend leaving the hitch hanging from the jaws. Give them a 1-800. Who knows they give it a thumbs up.
For sure it won't hurt the trailers pin box and attach area.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/19 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"That said, I priced out the Mopar Curt hitch and it seemed awfully expensive for what it is. I'd consider a different puck-mounted hitch."

YEP the Mopar is just a relabeled CURT and YES there are FAR better hitches available that won't cause Chucking that this style causes with the heads pivot point several inches below the kingpin connection.

Besides it's Made in China. Doubters simply read Curt's product origin statement.

OP hang it from your pin box! FACT is there are at times lifting forces far greater when towing that can occur.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ernie Fergler wrote:

Traded tv awhile back , and the new one came with a factory hitch. Haven't needed to remove the hitch yet but the day will come. The shipping weight of the hitch is over200 lbs; too much for me to lift/ carry by myself. Was wondering if anyone ever left their hitch hanging from the kingpin on the trailer.? Simply release the frame latches, lift the landing gear, and drive away. Seems like alot of weight to be hanging,though. Anybody ever try it? The only other way i can think to get it out would be to disassemble it. Looks like it breaks down in 5 or 6 pieces. Vehicle is a '16 Ram dualie, 8 ft bed, w/ Mopar (curt) 25K hitch, 4wd. Anxious to hear your thoughts.
Ernie

Ernie,
Yes, you can certainly leave the hitch hanging from the kingpin. The tough part is going to come when you try to back up under the 5er and line up the hitch with the 4 pucks in the bed. My guess is that will be a very tricky endeavor.

I have the exact same hitch. My solution is similar to Hornet28 and I hung a chain hoist from a rafter in the garage. I sling a 1" wide nylon lift strap around the hitch handles and use the chain hoist to lift the hitch high enough to drive away. Next I lower it onto a furniture dolly I bought at Menards for $10 and roll it over to a corner of the garage.

The nice thing about the chain hoist is I don't have to be perfectly centered to reinsert the hitch into the pucks. I back up until close and then as I lower the hitch the chain has enough movement that I just push it in the right direction as it comes down and the pins slide into the pucks.

2012 Sandpiper 32QBBS
'14 Ram 2500 | Crew Cab Long Bed| 4X4 | Cummins TurboDiesel
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (18, 11, & 10)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/19 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Andersen is only 35# and can be hung on the wall.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I leave mine hanging but do support the majority of the weight with a jack stand. The jaws of my B/W hitch bound up once after hanging for a few months and I was afraid leaving it hanging may have caused it.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/19 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mtofell1 wrote:

I leave mine hanging but do support the majority of the weight with a jack stand. The jaws of my B/W hitch bound up once after hanging for a few months and I was afraid leaving it hanging may have caused it.

Most likely did not bind up as you needed to back against the kingpin and pin the hitch handle open and gently pull away.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/19 11:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

mtofell1 wrote:

Most likely did not bind up as you needed to back against the kingpin and pin the hitch handle open and gently pull away.

Yep, once I got it in the truck and was able to do that it released. I was just in a bit of a spot as I had to line it up perfectly to get it in the truck. Usually, I just back under it, lower the 5th until the hitch sits in the bed, release it, pull forward, lug it into position and latch it, then back up and hookup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch storage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS