|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch storage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

My new hitch doesn't come apart into 2 pieces and is too heavy to remove by myself. I do exactly what the OP described:

[image]

That said, I priced out the Mopar Curt hitch and it seemed awfully expensive for what it is. I'd consider a different puck-mounted hitch.

I have a Trailer Saver as well... I use a tractor, place on my little trailer, store in the barn! The trailer tongue is removable, to conserve space!

A small A-Frame would serve the same purpose as the tractor...lift hitch out of truck, move truck, roll the trailer under hitch, place on trailer, put in storage!
[image]

* This post was edited 01/06/19 08:02am by memtb *

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have left my 5th wheel hitch hanging on the pin many times. Especially if I am going to be at a campground for several days or weeks and want use of the bed or cover the bed with my Tonneau cover.

As for putting the hitch back into the pucks I do not find it any more difficult than hitching a conventional ball hitch trailer. With the help of the DW to guide me I am usually spot on.

I use the guide points I have in my rear window and windshield mirror and the center line on the trailer to guide me back. Then all the DW has to do is tell me when to stop backing.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/19 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LIKE2BUILD wrote:

Ernie,
Yes, you can certainly leave the hitch hanging from the kingpin. The tough part is going to come when you try to back up under the 5er and line up the hitch with the 4 pucks in the bed. My guess is that will be a very tricky endeavor.

Actually pretty easy...

Back up as close as you can drop the hitch till it's sitting in the bed and then release the jaws and pull forward to get some room. At that point you just have to pull it into position without lifting it from ground and over the tailgate.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla does the same as I. [emoticon]

I cannot see getting into a big stew over this issue.

TazFord

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just use an engine hoist to get mine out. Works fine for me

Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHS—2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

got you all beat, use the forklift at work! Rigged up some 1/8 cables as chokers, slip them through the hitch then onto the fork legs and lift it right out. I have a Reese slider so too heavy for one person. Then set it on piano dolly and stash it in the shop.

My BIL uses a modified camper shell winch hanging from his garage rafters, drives in, lifts it up to the ceiling and drives out.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

got you all beat, use the forklift at work! Rigged up some 1/8 cables as chokers, slip them through the hitch then onto the fork legs and lift it right out. I have a Reese slider so too heavy for one person. Then set it on piano dolly and stash it in the shop.

My BIL uses a modified camper shell winch hanging from his garage rafters, drives in, lifts it up to the ceiling and drives out.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nearly 62 and I have no issue taking out or installing by hand my B&W RAM puck hitch. I do break it into two parts. Work smarter NOT harder!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Nearly 62 and I have no issue taking out or installing by hand my B&W RAM puck hitch. I do break it into two parts. Work smarter NOT harder!

Working smarter is taking it out by ways other than muscle. At 61 you're still a pup. LOL

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Until last summer we had a 20K, Reese 4-Way Articulating which broke down into two pieces. At 65, it was not a problem. Last summer we bought a TrailerSaver TS3.....at approximately 290 pounds, it exceeded the “load capacity” of my back fusion! [emoticon]. To remove the hitch from the truck (leaving on the 5er is not practical for us).....the tractor was necessary!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch storage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS