RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Four Season Travel Trailers Quieter Inside?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Four Season Travel Trailers Quieter Inside?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
bjkb1f

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a Coachmen Apex Nano 193 BHS this year and had a blast. It’s a perfect first TT for us. It’s helped me learn the ropes. We will probably keep it for at least another year or two, but we’re enjoying it so much we’d like to be able to use it year round. So I think our next TT will be a Lance or other rated for four season use.

My wife and I were talking about it and she asked me if the added insulation and insulated windows of a four season camper would make it quieter inside. I would assume so, but is this correct? We’ve been at some campgrounds near highways and the traffic is definitely noticeable in ours. Would it be better in a four season TT or is this more a matter of just a higher quality TT?

Thanks all! I wish I could express how much you all have helped in our search for and enjoying our camper.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on the brand, the added insulation is in the roof and floor and not so much in the wall so I don't know that they would be any more quiet. With my Arctic Fox I have dual pane windows and it seems like that makes a nice difference.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dual pane windows will be a big help. But at a cost. There really is no such a thing as a four season trailer. Most all are built using 2x2 wall studs. That leaves very little for insulation. If you could find an RV that used block foam instead of fiberglas that would be a bonus. Also remember to get a somewhat 3 season trailer weight will go up considerably. Meaning you will need a more substantial tow vehicle.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only extra insulation would be the roof, floor and front cap? The floor has no bearing on sound. Extra insulation in the roof only helps for rain or jets flying over. The front cap depending on the type (Fiberglass or Filon) some extra insulation may or may not help.
That leaves the walls. Most walls are only 1.5"-2" Styrofoam. No difference there between a 4 season or 2 season. Most sound travels thru the windows. Dual pane is about the only way to get a quieter trailer.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/19 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned many fiberglass and aluminum sided RV'S and my experience fiberglass trailers are quieter and easier to heat and cool. They are also more expensive and heavier as well. As others have said dual pane windows will make a difference as well.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/19 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My FW is a supposed 4-season, and is well insulated. It is much more quiet than my previous RVs. Mine does not have dual pane windows, but the glass is thicker than previous models I've owned. I have a lot of large window space, so I think the window quality and thickness of glass makes a difference.

Before purchasing current model, it seemed like each time I bought a newer model, the noise level inside was worse. I was impressed with how quiet this model was, right from the start, as it was one of the first things I noticed. I have camped with it, with temps in the low 20s, with no issue, but I'd guess that camping near 0 degrees would not be the best experience.

Jerry

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/19 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had 4 different trailers. The first two were wood frame, batted insulation, aluminum skinned and no slide outs. The third was a 3 season trailer, aluminum framed, foam board insulation, fiberglas skin and had 3 slide outs. All three were comparatively quiet inside, and outside. Meaning, we could blast the television or music inside and was not noticeable outside ... that was until we got a sound bar with a bass woofere in our last camper and the bass rumbled the entire camper. It was GREAT! That boom, boom, boom from the bass could be heard outside.

Our current camper is a fifth wheel, aluminum framed, foam board insulation, fiberglass skin, 4 season, rated to zero degree weather, and has 4 slides. The trailer is much, much taller than all the others. There are many more windows on this camper. And I've not noticed any outside noise difference. However, when either television is on, front or back of the camper, it can be heard outside penetrating the wall. However! Both televisions are on some pretty impressive sound bars right now. So maybe that's the difference.

As far as outside noise coming in, I've not noticed anything real dramatic between any of these campers. In the Summer, if you keep an air conditioner running, you'll never hear outside noises anyway. If it's cool enough you don't run the air conditioner, you'll probably open windows and the sound will come in for sure.

If you are camped along a rail road track, even if you were inside a sound proof room, you'd probably still hear the train blowing the whistle, feel the vibration of the train through the floor, and hear the clicketty-clack of the cars as they go by.

You will never have a camper that can block everything out, unless you create white noise inside the camper that drowns it out, like an air conditioner running or a television playing.

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
2 dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks, lots of love.

And yes, it really does have a door on the opposite side:

bjkb1f

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all! I guess I didn’t realize the walls would have little if any additional insulation.

Lwiddis

Death Valley!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s aggressive marketing, bj. Judge Judy would call it “puffing.”

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've heard it mentioned that the noise is muffled pretty well from inside Bigfoot brand travel trailers.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Four Season Travel Trailers Quieter Inside?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS