RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Looking for recommendation for Electric Bikes...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Looking for recommendation for Electric Bikes...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/19 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with the fast ones is they won’t be legal on most state and federal trails.

There is talk of registration and license plates and basically categorizing them as electric motorcycles.

Don’t get me wrong. I like them too. But I get that the purist pedal only mountain bike crowd doesn’t want 2-3 hp e mountain bikes spewing gravel at them on uphill trails.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

The problem with the fast ones is they won’t be legal on most state and federal trails.

There is talk of registration and license plates and basically categorizing them as electric motorcycles.

Don’t get me wrong. I like them too. But I get that the purist pedal only mountain bike crowd doesn’t want 2-3 hp e mountain bikes spewing gravel at them on uphill trails.

Most states require electric bikes 750 watts or more to be licensed as a moped or motorcycle and may have to have insurance, I don't have my 1000 watt licensed or insured and never will, most cops don't know the law or even know where to look on the motor to tell its watts, when I see a cop I just slow down and pedal fast as if I am doing all the work, to find the watts listed on my bike it has to be flipped upside down and it has very small print, thinking of grinding that part off so if ever caught they wont find the watts listed..

Breaking the law is Fun...
[emoticon]

">][image]

32 mph without pedaling

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/19 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree we’re in the Model T phase of laws and light enforcement.

As popularity grows and the number of bikes multiply and trails start to get more crowded and a few extreme riders cause issues THEN enforcement starts. Follow California laws.

They usually pave the way for the rest of the country.

Florida is regulating by watts that I know of but by speed.

If it goes over 20 it’s not legal on bike paths or sidewalks.

I’m going to end up with two. A 750 Watt beater and probably
A Motan Addmotor 1000W Bafang mid drive. Fat tires
100 mm adjustable dampened fork 1500w peak
Rated for 350 pounds.

It’s a beast.

Xflyhighx

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I have two bikes that are setup with BionX rear wheel motors. The best think is that they have a big dealer repair base not that I have had any issues the only issue is they are made in Canada so it could be a few extra days if parts are needed. The battery is installed in the middle with a lock and you can take battery of with a turn of the key. The best investment we did in a long time.

2019 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EL
TrailAir Pin Box
Hensley TS3 trailer saver
2017 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 dually
14' Porta-bote
Honda 3000is or 2 Honda 2000’s
Life is good in the good old USA

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/19 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

I agree we’re in the Model T phase of laws and light enforcement.

As popularity grows and the number of bikes multiply and trails start to get more crowded and a few extreme riders cause issues THEN enforcement starts. Follow California laws.

They usually pave the way for the rest of the country.

Florida is regulating by watts that I know of but by speed.

If it goes over 20 it’s not legal on bike paths or sidewalks.

I’m going to end up with two. A 750 Watt beater and probably
A Motan Addmotor 1000W Bafang mid drive. Fat tires
100 mm adjustable dampened fork 1500w peak
Rated for 350 pounds.

It’s a beast.

I have the 1000 watt Bafang with a 52 volt battery pack and it gets up and fly's, you can upgrade the 30 amp controller to 50 amp and it will get up to 45 mph, seen it done however it will over heat the motor, the wattage law on electric bikes is not the issue on bike paths and such its the speed you drive, you can just hold back your speed when people/police are around and when its clear just let her rip.

My next bike will be 5000 watts, it can do 60+ mph.. [emoticon]

">][image]

old people ride 250 watt slow lame bikes [emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/04/19 10:55pm by timmac *

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speed is the issue and it’s not just e bikes. We had a bad accident on a trail near hear last year when avid young cyclists were pumping hard, came around a corner on a trail and plowed into a slow moving family with young children.

irishtom29

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/19 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I put Tongsheng 500 watt TSDZ2 mid drive pedal assist kits on a pair of Treks. Cost was about 700 bucks a bike—kits, batteries and all. They were great; the Tongshengs have torque sensors and the motor responds to how hard you pedal—makes you feel like Superman. The bikes were stolen.

Now we have a pair of tadpole trikes, an ICE and a Catrike. 750 watt TSDZ2s are on the way.. Security has been increased.

RedRocket204

Colorado mountains - Got trail?

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

There are four classifications of e bikes. Three are tentatively allowed on designated bike trails.

Are you talking bike trails or paths? There is a difference and no, trails in places like Colorado are generally only going to allow class 1 e-bikes on them, not the 3 designations you are referring to. One must check the regulations first because even though Colorado may have many places that allow class 1 e-bikes on trails, certain places, Boulder, do not allow ANY e-bikes on trails. This is just one example, every state may very.

One must first verify if it is legal to ride an e-bike on a trail and even a path here in the US.

BTW, OP, Trek and many other major cycling companies are starting to make e-bikes.

I love me some land yachting

macjom

Fl

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Populo Sport. Not the most comfortable ebike you can get but it is light and not expensive.

beachcomber_1

Alton, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went with a GOGO with larger wheels,4 wheel version. Wife is lung cancer survivor and is on dialysis ,PD type which we can do on the road. The GOGO can travel most trails.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Looking for recommendation for Electric Bikes...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS