|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Help with a salvage title situation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With many insurance companies, a vehicle with a 'salvage' title cannot be insured.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delete

* This post was edited 01/20/19 07:08pm by DutchmenSport *

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/19 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You bought it, you own it! You have the awning you wanted. Take it off and install on your old trailer, scrap the rest and get as much of your money back as you can and look for another project for dad. Lesson learned.

thurat2099

Jeffersonville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport,
Well, the awning is already removed and installed on my camper. I don't think it appropriate to just trash the whole thing as it has a good working refrigerator and stove and sink in it plus the tables and cabinets and everything else are undamaged. The only damage is to the floor.

Before I would just junk the whole thing, I would strip it and sell or reuse all the components in something else and use the frame to build a lowboy type trailer.

Still, it would be nice if it could be used in its original configuration because it is a very nice trailer if it was undamaged. After all it is a 2004 aerolite cub hybrid. Literally everything else in it is in good working order except for the damaged floor.

* This post was edited 01/06/19 05:06pm by thurat2099 *

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could still use it in place rather like a cabin, for the quiet and solitude.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thurat2099 wrote:

I would have bought it even with the salvage title but I would have liked to know it.
So you are back in the same place that you all ready accepted. If you knew it was possible and was that big a deal this is something to verify before the purchase.

Since you would have bought it anyway... try to just get over it and move on.

Get ready for this... no matter the title, the RV will only be worth 10 cents on every dollar of materials and labor you put into it. Just part of RV ownership.

The real value is the memories of actually using the RV. Go hit the road and have some fun.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyemunson wrote:

With many insurance companies, a vehicle with a 'salvage' title cannot be insured.

It can be insured for liability purposes, but not full coverage.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

bstar1952

Bandera, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went thru the exact thing with a used car, dealer didn't disclose a salvage title. Well I found out that was illegal and when I questioned the dealer they bent over to make it right, claimed they didn't know about the title but the onus was on them and they knew it. This was in Texas but I suspect there's a similar law in the KY. I'd get with that CW's GM and demand they fix it somehow. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2017 Ford F-150 XLT; 3.5 Ecoboost; Max Tow
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thurat2099 wrote:

DutchmenSport,
Well, the awning is already removed and installed on my camper. I don't think it appropriate to just trash the whole thing as it has a good working refrigerator and stove and sink in it plus the tables and cabinets and everything else are undamaged. The only damage is to the floor.

Before I would just junk the whole thing, I would strip it and sell or reuse all the components in something else and use the frame to build a lowboy type trailer.

Still, it would be nice if it could be used in its original configuration because it is a very nice trailer if it was undamaged. After all it is a 2004 aerolite cub hybrid. Literally everything else in it is in good working order except for the damaged floor.

A friend of mine did that once. He sold all the stuff out of the Travel Trailer to me and I have gotten use out of most of it over the years. Then he striped it, sold the siding for aluminum scrap, and converted the frame into a snowmobile trailer that he sold. It is easy to get a homemade title around here for something like a snowmobile trailer. He made good money doing this in his spare time.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bstar1952 wrote:

I'd get with that CW's GM and demand they fix it somehow. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Just what/how EXACTLY would you expect them to "fix it"? They can't change the fact that it's a salvage title. What would they do, give him back another dollar so that he only paid the fees, and they didn't sell it for a "profit"?

Or maybe they take it back? Then he has to put the awning back on it and return it back to the "condition" it was in when he "purchased" it

Heck, maybe they'll give him a Good Sams membership extension.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Help with a salvage title situation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS