|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Solar panels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/19 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

azrving wrote:

You need enough to replace what you are using plus roughly 10%

How much was that for you? I'm about to install 400 watts on my rig to get started.

When you say get started that means you need to plan and research further so you don't box yourself in or buy components a second time.

I did pretty good with my original 520 watts of cynergy panels and four GC2. When I went to a resi fridge I added a second bogart controller and three 160 w cynergy. Both controllers work well with the bogart trimetric but if I knew that the system would be this large I would have used MPPT controller. 12 volt panels to work out good on my FW because they are on the edges and provide walking paths.

Lwiddis

near La Cuesta Encantada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Portable panels..what a great idea! Set up every morning. Take down when you leave to site see or go out to lunch. Put back out when you return. Move as the sunlight moves. Put away at dusk. Fun!

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/19 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm running led lights, resi fridge, satellite, 40 in led television. I don't invert to heavy loads so some of my heavy amps go back in during AM coffee generator time.

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regardless of what you decide to go with, one consideration that should enter your calculation is the security of your situation. A few years ago I was camping on BLM land along the Colorado River north of Yuma. An adjacent camper relayed stories about low life's stealing generators and solar panels in the southwest, particularly in the southern California/Arizona area. He had lost a generator that had been chained down with 3/8" hi test chain and knew of specific folks who had lost solar panels. (not third or fourth hand stories) I was using 2 135W panels on the ground so I paid particular attention. Depending on how far from neighbors you camp and where, it might be something you need to consider. I'm using 6 panels on my Bus but moved them to the roof quicker due to what are evidently not isolated instances.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero, when you finish the project, put some pix up. Very interested on that size set up.
Thanks.....

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

How many amp controller are you using? The kit that is being delivered tomorrow has a 40 amp kit. 400/12 = 33, so not much cushion there and the next biggest controller was pretty expensive.
Morningstar MPPT-60. In hindsight the 45 would have been fine. You do not need a cushion with MPPT (generally). MPPT controller will limit amps to max rating. Would be very rare to actually get 400w out of 400w panels mounted flat on the roof and have battery low enough to need that much.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP?

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oldpop55 wrote:

Looking at adding portable solar panels. Have a 2019 26 ft trailer, any ideas on how many watts i would need? And reliable brands.

Depends on how much power you use, how dead your batteries are, how much sun you typically get and how fast you want to recharge.

100 watts is a pretty common size portable setup

Bob

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When figuring your wattage needs I suggest a watt meter. They’re cheap and easy to use. It gives a quick and easy way to know what several, not all, appliances require. Figure out what energy you’re currently drawing then get a larger system than you think you’ll require. I used Renogy. Their install instructions were almost nonexistent but their tech dept is really good. Especially Tylor!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Solar panels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS