RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Trip planning help - Dakotas and Minnesota National Parks

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Trip planning help - Dakotas and Minnesota National Parks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going to add this link to my brief trip report about my 2017 Badlands, Black Hills and Solar Eclipse trip. You might find something in it worth considering or visiting.

Badlands, Black Hills, and Solar Eclipse trip, 2017.

Charles

2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar.

RVman3252

Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree... Rafter J, in Hill City, SD is a nice park! There sure is a lot to do in that area too.

RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member

Addy15

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I second the idea of the Lake Angostura area at the south end of the Black Hills. Didn't camp there, but we had a lovely time visiting there.

Voyageurs is pretty remote, and I am not too familiar with the actual Voyaguers area because we don't usually go quite that far north and haven't been there, but this place is right on Lake Kabetogama about a mile from the Voyageurs Visitor Center. It looks like a nice place, though a little on the spendy side...

Pines of Kabetogama

You could also take a look at this place:

Voyageurs Sunrise Resort

We stayed two nights at the Medora Campground when we visited TRNP. It's OK. A little tight and packed in. Our site had a beautiful view of the ridge. I don't think we were able to put out our awning. Sites are packed dirt so could be really muddy if it rained (we were lucky...) Suprisingly enough, there isn't much for campgrounds in that immediate area.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Angostura might be a good spot to do both Wind Cave and Badlands NPs. There is a nice RV park in Wall which is 10 minutes from Badlands, and Custer SP would be a very good one to see Wind Cave from, plus it will get you much closer to Mount Rushmore NM. There is a campground in Wind Cave, but sites are small, and there are no hookups or dump. It is very quiet and peaceful.

FYI, while at Wind Cave, drive the back roads. There is much more to that park than the cave. You will see bison (100%, no cattle DNA), pronghorns, and very possibly elk. Also there won't be traffic jams to see them like in Yellowstone.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
1992 S&S 11.5 TC

fanrgs

Mile High City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/19 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

FYI, while at Wind Cave, drive the back roads. There is much more to that park than the cave. You will see bison (100%, no cattle DNA), pronghorns, and very possibly elk. Also there won't be traffic jams to see them like in Yellowstone.
We agree on that back road. We drove through several herds of bison along the road and we were the only vehicle in sight.

A couple of places we had cows and calves right in the borrow ditch along the road not more than 6-8' from the truck. We DID NOT STOP in those places, but did stop a safe distance away a couple of times for photos (from the truck!). The most interesting sight was seeing bison rolling around in the dirt taking dust baths just like you see on TV.

You can also see bison in Custer SP, but usually farther away and always with a crowd of other vehicles and people (more like Yellowstone). This herd is not purebred and excess animals are auctioned off every fall.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel

dewey02

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/19 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I lived in Northern MN for 25 years. Unless you have a decent boat you are pulling with you, I would pass on Voyageurs NP. It is almost solely water-based and there aren't any top notch RV campgrounds in the immediate vicinity.

Instead, travel to the north shore of Lake Superior, which is chock-a-block with 8 beautiful state parks, lots of great waterfalls, Superior National Forest, Grand Portage Natl. Monument (so you can still visit an NPS area!) Lots of state park, USFS and private campgrounds but best to get a reservation early. Burlington Bay CG (Two Harbors, Mn) and Grand Marais CG are town operated rv campgrounds right on lLake Superior.

* This post was edited 01/14/19 06:03pm by dewey02 *

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The town of Custer is right in the heart of it and we spent 4 days there last summer. Wind Caves is just south, Custer State Park is just east and Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse is just North.

Our Road Less Traveled

dewey02

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fanrgs wrote:

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

We agree on that back road. We drove through several herds of bison along the road and we were the only vehicle in sight.

A couple of places we had cows and calves right in the borrow ditch along the road not more than 6-8' from the truck. We DID NOT STOP in those places, but did stop a safe distance away a couple of times for photos (from the truck!). The most interesting sight was seeing bison rolling around in the dirt taking dust baths just like you see on TV.

You can also see bison in Custer SP, but usually farther away and always with a crowd of other vehicles and people (more like Yellowstone). This herd is not purebred and excess animals are auctioned off every fall.

X3 on this. Great experience, and not a single other vehicle in sight!

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roy&Lynne wrote:

The town of Custer is right in the heart of it and we spent 4 days there last summer. Wind Caves is just south, Custer State Park is just east and Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse is just North.

Custer's Gulch, which is Just outside Custer, is where we stayed and we loved it as every trip provided great Landscapes and made each day even better. So Yes Custer is IMHO the Center of it all.

[image]---[image]---[image]---

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Busskipper wrote:

Custer's Gulch, which is Just outside Custer, is where we stayed and we loved it as every trip provided great Landscapes and made each day even better. So Yes Custer is IMHO the Center of it all.

Once again, I could not agree with Busskipper more. Custer's Gulch is right where I would go back.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Trip planning help - Dakotas and Minnesota National Parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS