|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Travel Trailer Tow Vehicle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

It amazing that so many people want to buy "just enough truck" to pull their current trailer. Most people go through many different RVs over time. The cost of a 3/4 or one ton is not much different than a 1/2 ton. I agree that buying a larger truck is a "no brainer."
Not really amazing at all. The larger truck doesn't come with the 3.5 ecoboost and 10 sp transmission. When used as a Daily Driver and a Sometimes tow vehicle, and used within its ratings, this combination is the real "no brainer".

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm gonna be the guy that says nearly ANY current half ton will work well. Just make sure you get the tow package. Even the 2.7 Ecoboost will drag that trailer around with no problem. I know the small number scares people but that little engine is a serious work horse. Payload is of course important, and the tongue weight of the trailer, as well as the occupants of the truck count against it.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

MitchF150 wrote:

old guy wrote:

all I can tell you is a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 is like night and day difference. I used to tow with a 1/2 ton and with the trucks passing you or the wind in general, power, and the truck being able to perform, a 3/4 will not let you down in satisfaction and safety. I would only buy a 1/2 again if all I wanted was to haul a sheet of plywood. I believe in my 3/4 ton that much

Really.... Man I thought I was out of touch with things...

Mitch

I actually agree with this. I wouldn't have a household without a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup truck. Buying a 1/2 ton truck knowing that you're going to be trailering is not well advised. 1/2 ton trucks are designed for people who mostly want a truck, but do not need a truck. While they have become more capable over time, they lack the features that come standard on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks for trailering.

Do 1/2 ton trucks work for trailering? For the right trailer, sure. But can you honestly say you would rather tow 8000 pounds with a max payload package 1/2 ton vs. a random 3/4 ton? The 3/4 ton comes with heavier springs, a full floating rear axle, lower gears, a heavier duty transmission, maybe overload springs, and E rated tires. And that's without specifying any additional options!

To me that's a no-brainer.

I think I was referring more to the his comment about a 1/2 ton "only able to haul a sheet of plywood".

I agree that once you start getting over #8000, that's 250/350 territory..

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my personal opinion if your trailer is at or over about 6000lbs and you only tow on the flats under 3000ft elevation then a properly equipped max tow 1/2 ton should be “ok”.

If you tow in the mountains and over 6K then a 250/2500 or 350/3500 would be the safer option and a more pleasurable drive.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeez Louise! I can't believe this. My trailer is a little north of 6000 and is no issue to tow in the mountains at all. I mean like almost zero extra input required by me. Nearly all of my towing is in the mountains. I wouldn't hesitate to push 8000 lbs if I just had to have that trailer.

On edit, I should point out that I drive a wimpy Ram 1500.

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 3.5 EB F150 as my work truck, now with 54,000 miles. Great vehicle with one major flaw. Spin up those turbos while towing (which they will) and it sucks down gas like a fire hose. Get a 3/4 ton diesel and you’ll be happy.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many of you guys that advocate a 3/4 or 1 ton truck drive your truck daily? If its a dedicated tow vehicle i could agree that bigger is better. If it's a daily driver all year long with a few trips with the camper id say 1/2 ton as long as the numbers match up.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We first got into RVing in 2012 and 6 years later I am on trailer #3. Think about the future because you will eventually either get out of RVing all together OR want a bigger trailer and I will bet on the bigger trailer scenario. We started out with a 24ft. StarCraft then moved up to a 30ft. Coleman and today its a 37 ft. beast Keystone Laredo travel trailer. Had a Chevy Avalanche for the first one then a 1500 for #2 and now its a 2500 GMC. Huge difference in all of them.

All that said, how are you going to use your trailer? Weekends? Hunting camp? See the Nation? Its a big investment for all that is needed and to get into RVing and only use your trailer one weekend a year is not expense justified in my opinion. On the other hand, if you plan on seeing the country and being gone weeks at a time then comfort is a necessity. How many people are going to occupy that small space at one time? Things can get close real fast on a bad weather day. Lots to consider and only you can figure it out.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

In my personal opinion if your trailer is at or over about 6000lbs and you only tow on the flats under 3000ft elevation then a properly equipped max tow 1/2 ton should be “ok”.

If you tow in the mountains and over 6K then a 250/2500 or 350/3500 would be the safer option and a more pleasurable drive.

Actually the 3.5 EB will pull better than the 6.4, 6.2 or 6.0 in 3/4 tons.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/19 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't need to split hairs on spec's. The most expensive mistake is needing to buy a different truck in the future. Get a 3/4 ton and you won't have any regrets on those mountainous days.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Travel Trailer Tow Vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS