|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Travel Trailer Tow Vehicle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will testify to the fact my little ole 3.5L F150 w/ HDPP pulled my 6500# trailer all over the Rockies, from NM to CO, to ID, to WY, to MT, and to SD Black Hills with no problems what so ever. And I never felt unsafe nor on an unpleasant drive.

Some of the mountain passes, and steep grades and hair pin turns made me unpleasant at time, but that would have happened even if in a F250/F350.

marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

In my personal opinion if your trailer is at or over about 6000lbs and you only tow on the flats under 3000ft elevation then a properly equipped max tow 1/2 ton should be “ok”.

If you tow in the mountains and over 6K then a 250/2500 or 350/3500 would be the safer option and a more pleasurable drive.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While a 3/4 ton will generally out perform a 1/2 ton of the same era, todays full size 1/2 tons will easily perform on par or better than yesterdays 3/4 ton.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The short version of all this is that the size trailer you are contemplating puts you squarely on the edge between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton truck. I would go with a 3/4 ton because one, you won't have to worry about how many people or how much extra junk you take along, and two, you can go bigger on the TT later without having to replace your truck.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

KC10Chief

Oklahoma City, OK

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a half ton 2018 F-150 with the intention of using it to pull a travel trailer. I chose the 3.5L Ecoboost motor as it is the most powerful motor you can get in ANY half ton truck other than the F-150 Raptor. It outperforms the V8s and the diesel motors that are in half tons now. I absolutely LOVE my F-150.

That being said, Ford inflates their numbers on a lot of things. Tow ratings and gas mileage are the big two. My truck can tow 13,200 pounds according to Ford! If I were to tow a trailer that big though, I'd easily be over my payload capacity. Make sure you check for that. I have no doubt that this truck has the power to pull that much weight. I'd definitely be overloaded though. I used to have a 2002 F-250 with the 7.3L Powerstroke diesel. My new F-150 has almost as much power as that truck had.

The gas mileage is advertised at 17/23. You might be able to get 23 mpg on the highway if you are going 55 mph the whole time. I just took an 850 mile trip in mine and was taking it easy at 70 mph most of the way. I averaged 18 mpg. I knew all of this going in to buying this truck.

I could have bought any truck I wanted. I looked at the F-250s and F-350s. But I won't be towing my trailer all the time. I commute 25 miles each way to work. The super duty trucks just don't ride as nice. They're still very good though. My F-150 is by far the most comfortable and the quietest vehicle I've ever owned. Lots of creature comforts in it. I have the Lariat. The higher trim packages will reduce your payload capacity as well. Stuff to keep in mind. When you are looking at truck on the lot, the payload capacity is on a sticker on the driver's door jamb. That is the main number that matters. It also takes into account something like two passengers at 150 pounds each or something like that. It figures in 300+ pounds in people and stuff and the leftover number is the additional weight you can carry. That includes additional people and your hitch weight. Figure in 15% of the total trailer weight plus the hitch.

Like I said, I knew all of this going in. I'm going to buy a 7,000 pound trailer soon. I'm also getting a ProPride hitch to help but I'm not worried about it. Half tons are pretty much the new 3/4 tons. The F-150 is a great all around vehicle. Especially for driving around when you're not towing! Parking a 3/4 or 1 ton is like docking a cruise ship in comparison.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Travel Trailer Tow Vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS