|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Can I use a WDH on a DP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
frankdamp

Anacortes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd consider a two-axle trailer to replace the one you've got.

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (9 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frankdamp wrote:

I'd consider a two-axle trailer to replace the one you've got.

Guess you didn’t look at his signature picture.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've RVed for 40 years and I still don't know what the heck all those initials mean.

Jayco-noslide

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weight dist hitch and auto leveling on a DP will fight each other with no winner. Best bet is to upgrade your hitch to be safe. Manufacturers put ratings on for a reason. There is probably some extra strength included in the design, but why take a chance?

JMO

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

romore wrote:

wildmanbaker wrote:

Check with you MH manufacturer about using a weight distribution hitch. You will get guesses and onions here, not the actual answer.

ONIONS?[emoticon] I would be more concerned with towing capacity, it sounds like no amount of weight distribution is going to bring him anywhere near it.

Huh? 4600 pounds of payload plus the weight of the trailer to haul it is a good bit less than the 10,000 pound tow capacity of the postrr's motorhome.

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

romore wrote:

wildmanbaker wrote:

Check with you MH manufacturer about using a weight distribution hitch. You will get guesses and onions here, not the actual answer.

ONIONS?[emoticon] I would be more concerned with towing capacity, it sounds like no amount of weight distribution is going to bring him anywhere near it.
LMAF! Auto correct, what can I say? At least it didn't change it to Beets.

Wildmanbaker

Trumpet Player

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

I would have a heavier hitch put on the DP, or have a certified welder look at beefing yours up.

So, the ratings on the coach/receiver as required by Federal law can somehow be overridden/changed by a welder? How does a welder re-certify the coach/receiver after their work? Let me help with the answer... they can't. The end result is that you still have an overloaded coach/receiver. Nothing any welder can do will fix that. One thing you can do... have lots of liability insurance.

2012 American Coach Revolution

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My main concern was would a WDH have a positive effect on a DP. Replies from Ivylog, ScottG, Larrycad, ChrisBryant confirm what I was wondering.

It sounds like a WDH on a DP isn't going to have much effect and may even create a problem. That's probably why I have never seen a WDH on a DP. I will check the hitch for 2 crossbars and if not, have the hitch beefed up.

The trailer empty weighs 3300 lbs so my total towing weight with vehicles and misc. things is around 8000 lbs. My concern was tongue weight due to the axles behind center. Thanks for all the replies.

* This post was edited 01/07/19 01:38pm by hotjag1 *

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

hotjag1

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

I've RVed for 40 years and I still don't know what the heck all those initials mean.

I agree. [emoticon] The first time I saw WDH I thought it meant washer/dryer hookup...Lol
After reading a few more posts I finally figured it out.

hotjag1

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Would you like some advice from experience? My partner has the same DP you have and tows a 30ft double stacker with a dragster, a door car, a golf cart, and lord only knows what else in there and no WDH. 10,000lb rated hitch. I myself have a 32 ft tri axel trailer with a door car and an ATV towing with a Monaco with a 10,000lb hitch and no problem. I have used this set up behind 2 other DPs as has my friend. I travel about 20,000mi a year and he may rack up more going to races here in the East. If your hitch is rated at 10,000 a little extra tongue weight won't do anything but help control the trailer....to little and it will wonder all over the road. Hope this helps

Has your partner ever weighed his stacker trailer fully loaded and also tongue weight. It sure sounds like he would be over weight on both.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Can I use a WDH on a DP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS