|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Can I use a WDH on a DP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotjag1 wrote:

I tow a 22' enclosed trailer behind the DP in my signature. It has a 10,000 lb hitch with a 1000 lb tongue weight capacity.

I have been hauling a UTV weighing 1100 lbs in the front and a 3200 lb Suzuki Grand Vitara in the rear. I recently weighed the tongue with a scale (Sherline) and it weighed 1400 lbs...yikes!

Is 200 lbs over the tongue rating a big No No, or do the manufacturers allow for a little overage? If not, how do I use a WDH on a DP?

It has ride height valves(always sits level)no matter how much weight is on the hitch, so how can I know if I am adjusting weight from rear to front of the DP?

There are people a lot more knowledgeable than me on here so I welcome any options or suggestions.

You haven't provided enough information to answer your question.

You state you have a 10,000 lb. hitch. The general rule of thumb is that the tongue weight should be between 9% and 15% of the loaded trailer weight. Where did you get the 1000 lb tongue weight limitation? It could be a little light for a 10,000 lb hitch but that could be the chassis manufacturers limitation.

What is the empty weight of your trailer? Using a quick google search, . . . a typical enclosed dual axle trailer weight for a 8.5' x 22' trailer is 3400 lbs., your loaded total trailer weight is:

1100 + 3200 + 3400 = 7700 lbs. so you are good there. (as long as your trailer isn't overloaded - use tandem 5200 lb. rated axles)

.15% x 7700 = 1155 lbs. so you aren't too far off on the max. recommended tongue weight.

Not knowing your leveling system, you may be able to change the tongue weight by altering the ride height slightly. Check with the manufacturer(s).

Exceeding the tongue weight on a relatively light tow vehicle with a short wheelbase and a long overhang (behind the rear axle) could be a serious issue, but, that's not what you have. Just the opposite.

How does the trailer tow now? You might be closer than you think to being OK as long as you don't overload the rear axle of the MH and exceed the GCWR.

Chum lee

* This post was edited 01/08/19 01:59pm by Chum lee *

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotjag1 he has not weighed the stacker. I weighed mine once and it weighed just over 11,000lbs. My car empty weighs 2880. His stacker is all aluminum so I would say less than 15,000 loaded. We race a lot and this year he got a trailer toad but has yet to use it. I just keep on trucking because mine tows fine the way it is.

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 11:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

hotjag1 he has not weighed the stacker. I weighed mine once and it weighed just over 11,000lbs. My car empty weighs 2880. His stacker is all aluminum so I would say less than 15,000 loaded. We race a lot and this year he got a trailer toad but has yet to use it. I just keep on trucking because mine tows fine the way it is.

Is he not a little concerned that he is towing almost 15,000 lbs with a 10,000 lb hitch? If using the 10% ratio, he may have a tongue weight of 1500 lbs on a 1000 lb rated hitch.

What is a trailer toad?

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google Trailer Toad. It is one of those wheel things that supports the weight of the trailer tongue taking all of the weight off of the towing vehicle. Considering all the miles we have towed over the years I have seen no reason to worry about the 10,000lb hitch as neither of us has ever detected any signs of stress or failure of the hitch or the sides of our motor homes.....You need to roll into a drag race facility on race day, walk around and observe rigs that tow thousands of miles every year without a problem. Look at the smaller units to get a real world idea of what works-----not internet "experts".

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a rundown of receivers.
Class IV
~ Class IV hitches are weight carrying (WC) and weight distributing (WD) hitches depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications.
~ Not all Class IV hitches are rated to be both. See the specific hitch for that information.
~ Class IV hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1000 lbs.
~ Class IV hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 14,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1400 lbs.
~ A Class IV hitch usually has a 2" square receiver opening.
~ A higher class drawbar does not increase the towing capacity of the hitch. To use this class of hitch for weight distribution requires a weight distribution system.
~ Class IV hitches attach to the vehicle frame only.

Class V
~ Class V hitches are weight carrying (WC) and weight distributing (WD) hitches depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications.
~ Class V hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 12,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1200 lbs.
~ Class V hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 17,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1700 lbs.
~ Your ball mount and hitch ball need to both be rated for Class V to safely tow these weight loads. To use this class of hitch for weight distribution requires a weight distribution system.
~ A Class V hitch has a 2-1/2" square receiver opening.
~ Class V hitches attach to the vehicle frame only.

Wildmanbaker

Ernest

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/19 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with being overweight is "you're overweight"! That's why they have scales and commercial vehicles not only have a GVWR but they also must meet their axle weight limits.
That 200lbs of tongue weight is certainly added to your back axle(s). Could be you're overweight there also.

With all of this being said if you're ever in an accident your overweight condition could be what determines you were ultimately at fault or at least a contributing factor.

Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really? In NC they charge you for whatever weight you declare. In other word a F150 can buy a 10,000lb weighted tag. So just who determines all these weights etc I see described in this thread? The manufacture of the hitch, the vehicle, the DOT, the FBI, Mother Goose? And who has ever had the hitch on an RV checked for anything by anybody. Couple of things I know for sure, I have been towing for more than 50 years, have been through scales, cited for speeding, involved in 2 accidents while towing, (not my fault) had registration papers checked, VIN on trailers, etc. But not once has anyone checked my hitch for anything or the length of my rig. Some internet "experts" say I am to long, to heavy, not licensed right, now my hitch is even questioned.......but so far as I know as many times as I have been stopped, crossed scales, and been ticketed for speeding none of the above has been questioned and my stuff goes down the road straight as an arrow.

hotjag1

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/19 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee...you bring up an interesting question. The chassis mfr states a 10,000 lbs towing capacity. I was just assuming that I have a maximum tongue rating of 1000 lbs based on the 10% ratio. Maybe my hitch is rated for more but I cannot find anything stamped on the hitch to verify that.

By putting the SUV in backwards I can get the tongue weight down to about 1200 to 1300 depending on what misc stuff I have up front.

The trailer loaded is about 8000 lbs and tows exceptionally well. I pretty much don't even know it is there even in windy situations.

I am going to keep searching in the manuals for hitch information.

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotjag1 wrote:

I tow a 22' enclosed trailer behind the DP in my signature. It has a 10,000 lb hitch with a 1000 lb tongue weight capacity.

I have been hauling a UTV weighing 1100 lbs in the front and a 3200 lb Suzuki Grand Vitara in the rear. I recently weighed the tongue with a scale(Sherline) and it weighed 1400 lbs...yikes!

The only loading option I have is putting the UTV in front and then load the Vitara backwards so that the engine is behind the axles. This reduced the tongue weight to 1200 lbs.

Is 200 lbs over the tongue rating a big No No, or do the manufacturers allow for a little overage? If not, how do I use a WDH on a DP?

It has ride height valves(always sits level)no matter how much weight is on the hitch, so how can I know if I am adjusting weight from rear to front of the DP?

There are people a lot more knowledgeable than me on here so I welcome any options or suggestions.

What is your rear axle weight when fully loaded before trying to hitch up the trailer?
When all else fails .... CLICK TRAILER TOAD

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

hotjag1

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tropical36 asked...What is your rear axle weight when fully loaded before trying to hitch up the trailer?
When all else fails .... CLICK TRAILER TOAD

I don't know what the rear axle weight is. I think the max is 18,000. We usually travel with only about 50 gallons of water and empty holding tanks so I haven't been concerned with rear axle weight, but I should get it weighed to be sure.

I looked at Trailer Toad. This set-up uses two receivers and two trailer balls. Wouldn't this be considered double-towing?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Can I use a WDH on a DP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS