|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Weighing rv

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
frisbeekev

Burtonsville, md

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/19 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a silly question I am sure, but here it goes. I know you can weigh your rig at a truck stop on their scales. I was wondering if you can use those random truck scales on the side of the highway or do they frown upon that? Also would It get me the weights i want (tongue weight, trailer weight, truck weight, and combined weight. I know (at least near me) the state police sometimes search vehicles there, which would be a pain. That is all I have near me though and I want to get the weights of my unit. Thanks

Lwiddis

Crestview area, Inyo County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

California frowns on weighing RVs at state truck stops. Why don’t you ask Maryland DOT/highway patrol? Paying at a private truck stop seems more ethical IMO.

My only concern with a state search of my vehicle would be the question “why do you carry all this stuff?”

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always do in Oregon, they leave the scale on even when knowone is there.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't get in a line of truckers that are waiting to be scaled. Most likely if you do you will get the green light....and a good grump out from the officer in the scale house.
Your state dot would be the place to ask that question though. They have the answer.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To me closed DOT scales are fair game, there is one near Portland on Hwy 26 that is large and wide easy place to drop the trailer an just scale the the TV, when closed.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

WayneAt63044

St. Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Your state DOT would be the place to ask that question though. They have the answer."

There's the best answer since things may be different in your state of Maryland than they are in Oregon. Good luck.

Also, the TA service center in Jessup has a CAT scale.

2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Pilot station near us gives two certified scales weights for $12.00.

The first is the truck only front and back axel weights. The second is truck with trailer; truck front and rear axels and the trailer axels.

I get a print out that allows me to see axel weights before and after hookup.

The total weight change tells me the weight of the trailer.
The total weight change minus the trailer axel weight tell me how much is on the tongue, with the WD hitch adjust.

I do not know or care about the unhitched trailer tongue weight before it was redistributed by the WD hitch, because I do no tow without the WD hitch.

$12.00 with a certified print out seems like a good deal to be. I usually weight between each major trip, as out trailer load varies a lot between trips.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mountainkowboy wrote:

I always do in Oregon, they leave the scale on even when knowone is there.

x2. I only use them when "closed", and if a trucker pulls in I move off and let them weigh. yes, oregon leaves them "open" and on 24/7. Don't know about other states.

I figure that since they leave the scales on 24/7 and the entrance open 24/7 that they do that for a reason...... to let drivers come in and get a weight...... So, I use them on occasion.

* This post was edited 01/06/19 09:49pm by ktmrfs *

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/19 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

To me closed DOT scales are fair game, there is one near Portland on Hwy 26 that is large and wide easy place to drop the trailer an just scale the the TV, when closed.

yup, if it's the same one I'm thinking of, it's a good one that is usually "closed" so it's readily available. However, trucks coming from the coast do pull in occasionally to weigh then pull onto 26.

Used it many a time. lots of room, easy to access.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 01:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

I do not know or care about the unhitched trailer tongue weight before it was redistributed by the WD hitch, because I do no tow without the WD hitch.

There have been many discussions about this over the years. The engineers on this forum disagree with your thinking. I do not remember the exact reasoning, but TW WITHOUT WD needs to be under your TVs rating...

As usual on this forum, those with TVs that do not have sufficient rating, want to figure it the other way.

For example: Lets say your TV has a 500# limit without WD, and a 1000" limit with. (a very common rating)
WD shift about 1/3 of that weight to the Front axle of the TV, and about 1/3 to the TT axles.

Under your thinking, you could now go all the way up to 1333# of TW.... In fact some go even further. They go by what weight WD leaves on the rear axle. That means that they think the TW rating can go up to 1666#!!! Does that really make any sense?

Disclaimer: these figures are a guestimation. The actual numbers depend on several factors such as the TVs rear overhang, wheelbase, and the TTs distance from hitch to axles.

People are very good at rationalizing things the way they want them to be.... Rather than seeing them the way they are.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Weighing rv
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS