|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> New to RV’ing need advice

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
ShoalsChiro

Tuscumbia

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/19 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me preface this by saying, my wife and I have never owned a camper/RV before in our lives. We are currently in the process of downsizing our life due to my insurmountable student loan debt. We have three children, all under the age of 6. I don’t know the first place to start when looking for a new rig. I do know we need a bunkhouse. The rig will be set up at a permanent RV Park for the next few years. It seems every time we like a certain brand or model, I google and it’s getting blasted by reviews. Our budget is $55k. Is anyone willing to offer advice as we begin this new journey? Thank you.

Earl E

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forget the reviews blasting a unit. Those come from people that have had a bad experience. For each one of those there are 1000's of happy owners. You will be stationary so find a floor plan you like and go with it. Just be mindful of the weather and make sure you get a unit that is appropriate for your climate.

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/19 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at park models. Way more room, better insulation, real flush toilet, and residential appliances. The RV life is not any cheaper, can be a lot of work, and really cramped. If you went for a trailer, you would prbdbly want to double your budget. Heck a decent crew cab truck could cost 50K. Add a 40 fopt bunk house at another 50K. Well you get the idea. Add park rent at around 500 a month plus gas and electric. Its simply not a real practical solution in an attempt to get out of debt. With any RV your buying a depreciating asset. You would be far better off using that 55K to put down on a house. At least houses appreciate.

Lwiddis

near La Cuesta Encantada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 10:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rent a smaller place and use the $55k to pay down part of the debt?

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/19 10:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree on the Park/Destination model for more room. Also you don't need a big truck if you're setting it up in an RV park for several years. You can have it delivered cheaply.
RV's are a different breed than a home or renting an apt. Quarterly maintenance will be greater. Mostly inspections of the roof caulking, window caulking, trim caulking, etc. They're also not insulated as well as newer homes. You'll need skirting if you're in an area of the country that gets pretty cold in the winters.
$55K is not much so looking at used ones would be better.
Good luck in your journey. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

DutchmenSport

Over There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/19 11:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV ownership is not cheap. You might look into renting a mobile home already set up. Still, not cheap.

And agree with others on the park model jf you really want to go with a more conventional RV.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 01:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

RV ownership is not cheap. You might look into renting a mobile home already set up. Still, not cheap.

And agree with others on the park model jf you really want to go with a more conventional RV.
Would agree with this as well, a mobile home would handle the temperatures better and require a lot less maintenance and give your family more room. A mobile home park would probably be more economical then a rv park as well. Lots of times used units on site and set up go for very little money.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 05:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy the time you can fine a place to put it that you can afford, I do not think you will want to raise young children in that environment. Think about them and their future as your number one priority.

Google some parks that you think you might be able to afford and go drive threw them and look at what you see there!

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 06:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are struggling with student loan debt, but you have a budget 55k for a new RV? Whats wrong with this picture?????

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 06:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do pay attention to reviews so you know the weaknesses of various units. Those that have no problems simply are not paying attention. RV's are built cheaply and ALL have issues.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> New to RV’ing need advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS