RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Replacing Awning Fabric that has Alumiguard Cover - DIY

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Replacing Awning Fabric that has Alumiguard Cover - DIY

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

have you looked a tough top awning material? they are out of Vancouver Washington, and have great material for awnings. also RV geeks have a great video on you tube on how to replace your awnings

I have and I really liked what I read about them, but out RV is white with blue designs on it, and they don't have a blue awning or anything remotely close.

2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

Spend the money for acrylic. My 21 year old acrylic awnings are still presentable, with no tears and minor fading.

Richard

Any issues with the waterproofing? That is my fear. Do you have to re-waterproof it or anything?

Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

Have you ever replaced the springs in the roller tube? If not, your springs probably are getting worn so it doesn't roll like it should. Ours is 19 yrs old and we have had to replace them. The awning rolls much better with nice new springs.

I have not thought about that. I will look into it. Thanks

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would definitely do whatever is needed to keep the alumagard cover. My last RV had the alumagard; it was 10 years old when I purchased it, used it for 12 years...the awning was still in pristine condition when I sold it because of the alumagard cover. Never had a single problem rolling it up; there is nothing about the alumagard that could affect how the awning rolls up. On the other hand, my current RV (also purchased used) had a new awning installed by dealer prior to my purchase. No alumagard. After just 3 years of exposure, the awning already has a tear right in the center near the wall. When I finally replace the material, it WILL include the addition of the alumagard.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cocky_Camper wrote:

RLS7201 wrote:

Spend the money for acrylic. My 21 year old acrylic awnings are still presentable, with no tears and minor fading.

Richard

Any issues with the waterproofing? That is my fear. Do you have to re-waterproof it or anything?

All I've ever done to the 4 window and 1 patio awnings is wash them. I've never had the patio awning drip on me.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally got around to replacing the awning this morning. We decided to go with vinyl. Dyer rv made the vinyl to fit the metal weatherguard took about 2.5 hours with 4 people helping. We took our time and kept verifying the directions and watching the YouTube video. Thanks everyone for the advice and help.

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good for you! With some help and like you said "taking our time" good to go. We get back to our RV lot in Yuma, AZ. for the winter, I have a new fabric to install. Was going to do it in the spring but all my help blew out of town to go north. I'll get them corralled in November.

Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

Good for you! With some help and like you said "taking our time" good to go. We get back to our RV lot in Yuma, AZ. for the winter, I have a new fabric to install. Was going to do it in the spring but all my help blew out of town to go north. I'll get them corralled in November.

FYI, make sure you pay attention to the direction that you unwind the springs torrision. That was our biggest issue. We put in on, flipped the lever to unroll, and it came flying down. We had the spring wound backwards. Then we changed them, and had to wound opposite so it done nothing. But we finally figured it out.

I also recommend getting some of the folding white tables to work on.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Replacing Awning Fabric that has Alumiguard Cover - DIY
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.