RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What kind of gas can do you carry, and where?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What kind of gas can do you carry, and where?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started a thread about my gas can mount project (it's in the boondocking forum -- I should have put it in Modifications). But the discussion broadened to a bigger issue. So rather than hijack my own thread, I am taking a bit of a survey, hoping to learn from everyone's collective wisdom.

I am sure that for all of us, safety is the first concern, followed by convenience and an aversion to the smell of gasoline fumes. Theft is also a concern.

So here are the questions: what kind of gas can do you carry for your generator? Plastic? Metal? Is it drip-proof? Are there specific brands that are particularly good?

And where do you transport it -- on the tongue of a trailer? In an open cargo bed of a truck? In a closed compartment (either a camper shell on a truck or a storage area in an RV)? On a bumper rack? On the roof? In the fridge? (Just wanted to see if you were still awake.)

Thanks in advance for your answers!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4 metal cans. 2 in truck bed, 2 in truck compartments. 3 are 5-gallon, 1 is 2.5 used specifically to fuel generators.

Eagle makes a good can. Prefer metal to plastic.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should state the kind of generator(s) and how much gas you expect to use.

I have a pair of Honda 2000 watt generators with an extended run kit. That kit is just an outboard motor fuel tank with assorted hose and fittings. I picked up an additional fuel tank at a yard sale and can swap out an empty in seconds. Outboard tanks lay flat, quickly connect and disconnect, and seal up well for transport. They are awkward to use as a gas can for refilling the generator tanks, but with a large folding funnel it can be done. I store the generators in wheeled luggage style bags, and the tanks with hoses in a cardboard box. Everything goes in the truck bed.

If I know that the generators will be used soon, I fill their tanks at the start of a trip. The outboard tank(s) will be filled near the camping spot. One disadvantage of having a diesel truck is the inability of dumping the generator tanks when no longer needed.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hondas, and a plastic boat gas tank with extended run connections for either one or two generators.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
1992 S&S 11.5 TC

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Theft is not a concern for me, I guess I'm trusting or ignorant.

I use Eagle brand steel safety cans. Ventless, thick steel, with a heavy spring loaded "cap" and lever system. 6 gallons I think? Short trip, one can, long trip, two cans. They're also reserve fuel for the truck should I miscalculate a fuel stop.

Only downside, the way the funnel attaches around the neck, rather than a pour spout. It's not convenient to remove, so it gets left on, and fills with debris. Also not long enough to easily fill a vehicle, but works great for generator, mower, etc.

I have twin Yamaha 2000s, but they do not support extended run. Haven't added a fuel pump, maybe some day. Don't often run both unless it's very hot and I'm boondock.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly I only discovered this convenience a few years ago, but I often wonder why everyone else has not.

The simplest way to fill a small engine gas tank from a large (> 2 gallon) jug is with a jiggle siphon ! Yes, the source has to be higher than what you are filling and I am NOT suggesting that you stand there holding a 5 gallon can, but I am sure you can find something to set it upon while transferring the fuel.

crosscheck

Coldstream, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 heavy duty, 5g, thin design plastic containers carrying diesel.

Strapped with strong webbing anchored to rings bolted to the truck box panels between the tailgate and the wheel well both sides.Have truck cap.

Did carry gas in small container for the genny but haven't used it in years so I carry the genny full in the pass through but no extra fuel on board.

Dave

2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we did that it was high quality plastic containers in the truck bed toolbox.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm . . . . Dave brings up an interesting point. I always carry extra gas for my generator. And yet, in 14 years of camping, at an average of 70 nights per year, I have never -- repeat never -- had to fill my generator with the extra gas.

Roughly once a year, perhaps a little less often than that, we use our generator, maybe for a couple of hours, in total. I always come home from each trip with gas in the tank of the generator. I have never had to refill the generator at a gas pump while on the road.

But I just thought that like a Boy Scout, I gotta be prepared. What if there is a week-long rainy spell, and my solar panel is useless?

But if Crosscheck, of all people, does not carry extra gas for the generator, maybe I should take a hint?? That would solve my problem of where to carry the gas can. Just say no.

Hmmm.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dan ... I assume that your Tacoma uses regular gas?

If so, as someone mentioned earlier, any extra generator gas you carry along can also serve as "Boy Scout" spare gas for your truck.

FWIW, we consider every RV trip as kindof a mini-expedition, and as such it's best to be prepared for unexpected events. Some reasonable precautions, such as spare gas along for either the main RV engine or a coach generator fit this kind of thinking. I guess I should never have watched the movie "The Fourth of July" ... as I'll never forget the scene with hundreds of RV's out in the desert trying to get away from alien destruction. [emoticon]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What kind of gas can do you carry, and where?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS