RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What kind of gas can do you carry, and where?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What kind of gas can do you carry, and where?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Hmmm . . . . Dave brings up an interesting point. I always carry extra gas for my generator. And yet, in 14 years of camping, at an average of 70 nights per year, I have never -- repeat never -- had to fill my generator with the extra gas.

Roughly once a year, perhaps a little less often than that, we use our generator, maybe for a couple of hours, in total. I always come home from each trip with gas in the tank of the generator. I have never had to refill the generator at a gas pump while on the road.

But I just thought that like a Boy Scout, I gotta be prepared. What if there is a week-long rainy spell, and my solar panel is useless?

But if Crosscheck, of all people, does not carry extra gas for the generator, maybe I should take a hint?? That would solve my problem of where to carry the gas can. Just say no.

Hmmm.

I think you just solved your problem![emoticon]

2019 Duramax w/hips,12 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

morphrider

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We take trips with multiple toys, gas cans are a must. I too have been looking at what kind of fuel tanks we can add to the bed of the truck, everything seems to be diesel only. We bring 3-4 plastic 5 gallon jugs, what we don't use gets thrown in the truck for the return trip.Following this thread for suggestions too...

Rover_Bill

NE. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/19 12:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10L (2.6 g) NATO style jerrycan in a jerrycan holder bolted to my battery tray on the TT tongue. It provides fuel for my Yamaha 2000 generator and emergency fuel for the truck when towing.

2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/19 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jerry cans bought years ago from here Link

These are the real deal ones not a cheapy

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/19 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1, 5 gal extended run tank and a 5 gal red, approved gas tank. Both full upon a boondocking trip. If I don't use all of the gas on the trip, it gets to be used in the lawn mower and weed wacker when we get home. I have a large, zippered bag that holds the 2 gennys, both cans of gas and the various things needed to use the gennys. It fits in front of the 5th wheel most of the time unless I fill one of my 60 gal collapsible water containers. It then sits behind the 5th wheel in front of the tgate. I was entertaining the thought of putting them on a hitch behind the trailer. I have the rack and the hitch but haven't used it since I carried a 4000 watt Onan Juicebox back there.

Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a 6 gallon plastic extended run tank for my two twin Honda E2000i's. I also take along 4 2 gallon plastic cans. They are all stored in a black tub of the type sold at Lowe's for making small batches of concrete, and kept in the back of my truck which has a cap on it.

I need the extended run tank and extra gasoline because I do a lot of boondocking during football season, and other places with my friends.

profdant139 wrote:

I started a thread about my gas can mount project (it's in the boondocking forum -- I should have put it in Modifications). But the discussion broadened to a bigger issue. So rather than hijack my own thread, I am taking a bit of a survey, hoping to learn from everyone's collective wisdom.

I am sure that for all of us, safety is the first concern, followed by convenience and an aversion to the smell of gasoline fumes. Theft is also a concern.

So here are the questions: what kind of gas can do you carry for your generator? Plastic? Metal? Is it drip-proof? Are there specific brands that are particularly good?

And where do you transport it -- on the tongue of a trailer? In an open cargo bed of a truck? In a closed compartment (either a camper shell on a truck or a storage area in an RV)? On a bumper rack? On the roof? In the fridge? (Just wanted to see if you were still awake.)

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We carry a minimum of two and sometimes up to eight of the 5 gallon square race fuel jugs. If I have the MH and cargo trailer they get strapped down inside the trailer. If I have the MH with the RZR in the bed of the truck than they get strapped down inside the RZR bed. If I am pulling the trailer with the truck than they get strapped down in the bed of the truck.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll bring 5 gallons of emergency diesel in cleaned 2.5G DEF containers. I like to use DEF containers because they are in boxes and can stack if needed.

For the generators I'll bring a single 2.5 red plastic gas can and a small funnel. I hate the always drip nozzles so just take it off and pour straight into the funnel. If boondocking I'll up it to 5 gallons.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Modified a "SAFE" Diesel 5g container so it actually flows like the old school ones. This is my auxiliary fuel tank. I have NEEDED to use it once.

Store it in my bed height HighwayProducts tool Box.

[image]
[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always have two NATO Jerry cans on the bumper of my TC. The 20L can is for Diesel, and the 5L can is for generator gasoline. I use both cans frequently.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What kind of gas can do you carry, and where?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS