RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Heavy Duty Electric Trucks are Coming...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Heavy Duty Electric Trucks are Coming...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The current low gasoline prices have given truck sales the usual boost. Doubt oil will remain cheap long. Seen this scenario before. Meanwhile our main 4 wheeler charges off our solar panels.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

...If I was on the road full time doing 1600 miles a month, I'm looking at $600 alone in fuel costs. At some point, it's going to be cheaper to finance a loan on an electric truck than it will be to put fuel in my 7.3. I suspect this will be the reality for many people over the coming decade as fuel costs continue to increase.

The assumption here is the electricity is free or negligible cost. I guarantee that one nanosecond after the first all-electric RV hauler hits the market that campgrounds will immediately ban them or automatically charge more money for them.

A quick look at Tesla's web page... A 240v/50a charger gives them 20-30 miles per charge hour. A 120/15a charger gives 2-3 miles per charge hour. So let's assume a truck chassis allows for enough battery packs for the truck to get that same 400 mile range the diesel truck gets on a tank of gas. With a full 240v hookup, that is a solid 13 hours to charge. With a 120v hookup, that is 133 hours to charge. Time to stop for the night. With a diesel or gasser, you fill up at 400 miles, switch drivers, and keep going.

No, I don't see electric truck for recreational usage anytime soon. Probably more of a limited market for your local contractor who does all his jobs within 50 miles of home base.

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

adamis wrote:

...If I was on the road full time doing 1600 miles a month, I'm looking at $600 alone in fuel costs. At some point, it's going to be cheaper to finance a loan on an electric truck than it will be to put fuel in my 7.3. I suspect this will be the reality for many people over the coming decade as fuel costs continue to increase.

The assumption here is the electricity is free or negligible cost. I guarantee that one nanosecond after the first all-electric RV hauler hits the market that campgrounds will immediately ban them or automatically charge more money for them.

A quick look at Tesla's web page... A 240v/50a charger gives them 20-30 miles per charge hour. A 120/15a charger gives 2-3 miles per charge hour. So let's assume a truck chassis allows for enough battery packs for the truck to get that same 400 mile range the diesel truck gets on a tank of gas. With a full 240v hookup, that is a solid 13 hours to charge. With a 120v hookup, that is 133 hours to charge. Time to stop for the night. With a diesel or gasser, you fill up at 400 miles, switch drivers, and keep going.

No, I don't see electric truck for recreational usage anytime soon. Probably more of a limited market for your local contractor who does all his jobs within 50 miles of home base.

-Eric

I agree that RV parks might have something to say about charging but I'm sure they would be happy to start charging a little extra as well.

Overnight charging isn't going to be a thing from an RV park without serious infrastructure work but the math works out for different types of uses. At 1600 miles a month, that's four 400 mile drives in 30 days. At 133 hours to charge (on a 120v, 30amp service), that comes to 5.5 days of charging to go 400 miles. Doing that 4 times (to cover 1600 miles) is 22 days of charging plus the 4 days of driving leaving enough days in the month to make this plausible. Now whether one is comfortable staying for 5 days at each RV park is another question...

I personally like more remote campgrounds where 30amp service is an exception rather than the rule but 400 miles of range and careful planning still makes it plausible. What I would like to see is a drop in kit to go in the frunk that would be a fuel cell for generating electricity efficiently to extend the range. I could find a remote campground, park for 2 or 3 days while the fuel cell does it's thing and gives me the range to comfortably drive out to the next high amp charging station.

I also am very skeptical of their 15 min charging time. I don't think it is realistic but fast charging is still in development and considering how far it's progressed in just 5 years, who knows where it will be in another 5.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5 rigs using A/C and voltage drops so low surge guards shut down AC to rigs

CGs are NOT going to be the place for recharging EVs

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then, there will be threads that say no EV-RVs allowed instead of no TCs allowed. [emoticon]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 09:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a non retired working stiff I try to get the biggest bang for my days off. We blasted from the East Side of the San Francisco Bay to Grand Teton in a single 1000 mile kamikaze drive. I have no urge to only be able to go about 400 miles then sit and recharge 3 times on a trip like that each way, That would have cost me two days of Kayaking on the Snake river and some incredible hiking in Yellowstone.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

I saw this article yesterday. An all electric truck with a 35,000lb towing capacity and a 5000lb payload capacity. They are discussing quad cab and dually versions as well. Range (unloaded presumably) up to 500 miles. This is of course yet to be released and could likely end up being vaporware but the fact that there are companies designing these types of trucks now with release dates targeted for early 2020's tells me that sooner rather than later, these will be coming to the market.

I do love my 7.3 Diesel and I think Diesel will stay around for many years to come but the simple matter is that it now costs me $150 to go 400 miles. If I'm buying a new F350 Dually, Quad Cab, Diesel with all the trimmings from one of the big 3, I'm dropping between $60k to $80k and I haven't put a gallon of fuel in it. If I was on the road full time doing 1600 miles a month, I'm looking at $600 alone in fuel costs. At some point, it's going to be cheaper to finance a loan on an electric truck than it will be to put fuel in my 7.3. I suspect this will be the reality for many people over the coming decade as fuel costs continue to increase.

FYI
That Atlis company is a SCAM and that truck pics are computer generated fantasy.
Their 15 minute charge is BS as no such bateries exist now.

Also their web site has NO PHONE or Fax number and their adress is EMPTY field in Arizona..

They have NO employees no factory and no investors w big money and only Facebook advert asking for donations..

Beware of such scammers

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

adamis wrote:

I saw this article yesterday. An all electric truck with a 35,000lb towing capacity and a 5000lb payload capacity. They are discussing quad cab and dually versions as well. Range (unloaded presumably) up to 500 miles. This is of course yet to be released and could likely end up being vaporware but the fact that there are companies designing these types of trucks now with release dates targeted for early 2020's tells me that sooner rather than later, these will be coming to the market.

I do love my 7.3 Diesel and I think Diesel will stay around for many years to come but the simple matter is that it now costs me $150 to go 400 miles. If I'm buying a new F350 Dually, Quad Cab, Diesel with all the trimmings from one of the big 3, I'm dropping between $60k to $80k and I haven't put a gallon of fuel in it. If I was on the road full time doing 1600 miles a month, I'm looking at $600 alone in fuel costs. At some point, it's going to be cheaper to finance a loan on an electric truck than it will be to put fuel in my 7.3. I suspect this will be the reality for many people over the coming decade as fuel costs continue to increase.

FYI
That Atlis company is a SCAM and that truck pics are computer generated fantasy.

Also their web site has NO PHONE or Fax number and their adress is EMPTY field in Arizona..

They have NO employees no factory and no investors w big money and only Facebook advert asking for donations..

Beware of such scammers

I think SCAM is a bit strong... Here is a more detailed page about who they are and what they are trying to do. Startup with ambitious dreams for sure and the chances for success are small but the great thing is it is great to see people try and we get to sit back and watch how it plays out.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

free radical wrote:

adamis wrote:

FYI

Beware of such scammers

I think SCAM is a bit strong... Here is a more detailed page about who they are and what they are trying to do. Startup with ambitious dreams for sure and the chances for success are small but the great thing is it is great to see people try and we get to sit back and watch how it plays out.

Like they say sucker is born every minute..
Why isnt there a phone number one could reach them?
Btw
Heres their place go take some pics of that truck

Corporate Address
7259 E Posada Ave, Mesa, AZ 85212

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Better tell that to Porsche.

Porsche Mission E wrote:

Mission: Everyday practicality
“Fifteen minutes is an acceptable amount of charging time. And with 800 volts, it’s also feasible.” (Stefan Weckbach)

Charging time and the range of a car are key topics in electromobility. Porsche is breaking new ground with the Mission E by doubling the standard charging voltage to 800. This results in shorter charging times as well as less weight, because power can be transmitted by thinner copper wires. The size of the lithium-ion battery enables the car to drive more than 300 miles on a single charge. It needs only 15 minutes to recharge for another 250 miles of range. Just enough time for a coffee break.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche........e/archive/374/articleoverview/article01/

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Heavy Duty Electric Trucks are Coming...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS