RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Heavy Duty Electric Trucks are Coming...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Heavy Duty Electric Trucks are Coming...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Porsche says 2020 for the full electric Taycan.

Link shows plug-in E-Hybrid models for both Panamera and Cayenne. These will actually run on electric power until you put your foot in it according to the brochure. Rated 47 MPGe.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brholt wrote:

Reisender wrote:

brholt wrote:

Reisender wrote:

brholt wrote:

Reisender wrote:

brholt wrote:

I will not be holding my breath. My guess is this will be much like the mythical $27,500 Tesla model 3.

Tesla has never advertised a 27500 car that I know of.

When they first came out with the model three it was $35,000 with a $7,500 rebate. I know a number of people who waited in line to secure a reservation for just that.

I don't remember that they included the "gas" savings in the price like they do now.

Nope. You may be referring to a tax credit (not rebate) offered by the US government of up to 7500 dollars dependent on ones taxes. EG, if your income is low and your taxes are low (below 7500) you can't go below zero.

Tesla has NEVER had a price tag on their website of currently unavailable products.

Currently you can buy a mid range starting at 44000. Standard range still 6 months out.

Tell your friends for an extra 9000 bucks they can get longer range and premium upgrade package. They’ll love the sound system.

Tesla has NEVER had a price tag on their website of currently unavailable products.

Seriously? Tell me about the availability of the $35,000 Tesla.

Its not available yet. So not on their website to order. The cheapest available is 44000 for a mid range with premium upgrade package. If and when the 35000 is offered it will be a standard range without premium upgrade package.

Yes, after having it on the web site for around a year and taking 10’s of thousands of orders they took it off as they are never going to sell it. Much like the vapor ware of the truck that started this whole thread.

Fwiw Tesla took 1000$ fully REFUNDABLE deposits.
They didnt even excpect the demand will get so huge in the first place.
Takes some hard work and plenty of green to get a factory going as we saw.
The 35K model may be posible in six months quoting Musk here"

Makes sense to sell more expensive models first to be profitable,now why isnt GM making selling their 35K Bolt or Volt ?

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Porsche says 2020 for the full electric Taycan.

Link shows plug-in E-Hybrid models for both Panamera and Cayenne. These will actually run on electric power until you put your foot in it according to the brochure. Rated 47 MPGe.

Thats the problem,everyone is promising years down the road they will have this or that,while Tesla has the best EV right now.

Plus the network of 11.000 Superchargers all over so traveling cross country is easy to do.
Can any other company offer that,no..

Anyhow Im not in market for a Porsche,I always need truck,preferably hybrid.
Now why cant GM or Ford or Fca build something like this

https://workhorse.com/pickup/

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 10:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find it interesting that there are so many new companies sprouting up around electric vehicles. I assume that this is because of the non existent emissions testing and mileage requirements. Except for the push into self driving it would seem much easier to put together a vehicle from scratch for being electric powered. Competition will make all brands better.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 01:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

I think this is also a part of the problem with EV's. Instead of being honest, they play at semantics as does their fan base.
Long tradition in automotive marketing to list a price net of incentives and discounts.

Sure, no problem with that...assuming you can actually buy at the prices listed.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With all those new concepts, I like Porsche concept for plug-in hybrid the most.
You can drive 30 miles on electric power going around the town but when you hit interstate the gas motor fires up. Would somebody do that with diesel engine, I would sell my kidney to get it.
Than again, concept and car on the road are 2 different thing.
Took Tesla about 10 years when they dumped the original roadster design to come with a car that is appreciated and they made nice hole in taxpayers budget.
So don't hold your breath no matter what those automotive shows can display, especially when government's subsidia seems to dry out.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

With all those new concepts, I like Porsche concept for plug-in hybrid the most.
You can drive 30 miles on electric power going around the town but when you hit interstate the gas motor fires up. Would somebody do that with diesel engine, I would sell my kidney to get it.
Than again, concept and car on the road are 2 different thing.
Took Tesla about 10 years when they dumped the original roadster design to come with a car that is appreciated and they made nice hole in taxpayers budget.
So don't hold your breath no matter what those automotive shows can display, especially when government's subsidia seems to dry out.

Your describing the Chevy Volt and short lived Cadillac Hybrid. Both cancelled although I think you can get a Volt until end of March though. Gas engine not diesel though.

Hybrid sales have been dropping since second quarter of 2018 though. Toyota still has their Prius and there are a few other low volume numbers. I think the writing is on the wall for hybrids. They were a good transition to BEV platform.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My latest Mercedes is what I call reverse hybrid.
It has ECO stop, that will shut down engine at red lights and is using injection for restarting, with only help from starter and then it is using regenerative braking from alternator for battery charging.
That makes for about 40 mpg in city driving on 2 ton vehicle, who will very easily brush 130 mph governor.
I bet that concept made dent in Prius sales [emoticon]

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

My latest Mercedes is what I call reverse hybrid.
It has ECO stop, that will shut down engine at red lights and is using injection for restarting, with only help from starter and then it is using regenerative braking from alternator for battery charging.
That makes for about 40 mpg in city driving on 2 ton vehicle, who will very easily brush 130 mph governor.
I bet that concept made dent in Prius sales [emoticon]

Neighbour has one. Nice car.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2001 VW Jetta TDI Diesel gets about 45mpg on average. Furthest I ever drove was 800 miles on a single tank of fuel (~16 gallons). It has been modified with larger injectors, larger fuel pump, new cam, chipped it. It's a 5 speed and I had a super tall 5th gear added so I can cruise at 65mph around 1900 rpm. It won't take any mustangs on the streets but it is a sufficiently fast and fun car to drive. I've enjoyed it so much that after 330k miles and a blown head gasket coming over the Grapevine (I5 into Southern California) I paid to have it towed all the way from Southern California back to the Bay Area and my mechanic is rebuilding her. Hoping to get at least another 100k miles out of her before she gets garaged as a classic for being a car ahead of it's time in the fuel mileage debate.

All of that said... If I had an unlimited budget to start my own truck company, I would start with an electric platform similar to what we have been discussing but instead of a frunk, have a small Diesel engine for extending the range (or better yet, a fuel cell but that's impractical right now). You don't need 450hp and 950lb of torque to cruise down the highway so even if the small Diesel didn't generate enough power to replace what was being used by the electric motors, it would be enough to extend the range quite a bit.

What I described of course is what the Volt was, a series hybrid. As an engineer, it is surprising to me that the Prius being a parallel hybrid design (and seemingly much more complex) is what succeeded in the market place. I have a feeling that all of these electric truck companies have to be thinking about some sort of optional range extension capabilities. The space and weight capacity is already available. Seems like a simple solution for an obvious problem.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Heavy Duty Electric Trucks are Coming...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS