RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Heavy Duty Electric Trucks are Coming...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Heavy Duty Electric Trucks are Coming...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd like to see an AWD plug in hybrid with engine and transaxle up front and electrically driven rear. The electric motor(s) could power the rear as long as the battery lasted and the engine would kick in if the batteries get low, you need more traction or you need better acceleration.

Although I love diesels, the amount of emission equipment on them today really puts a damper on their complexity, efficiency and price. If my DW wasn't tired of our 15 year old VW TDI, we would still own it since it was one of the last generations that were fairly simple.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well.. do you still use your rotary phone?
I know people who do.
I used to own 1981 VW PICKUP. Even with old technology it was delivering solid 35 mpg when all the driving was done with gas pedal pushing firewall.
With whooping 44 HP I was turning AC off for acceleration.
Long way since now 2 l diesel will take corners sideway even on dry asphalt.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

I know people who do...

Guilty! I have two rotary dial red phones. One wall mount, one desk style. They are not the primary phones in the residence, but they do make cool pieces for the 'man cave'. Cold War Red Phone

Truth be told.... The are the most clear sounding phones in the house. Even my super-scooby noise-canceling headset I use for work doesn't sound as clear as the old-school rotary phones.

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

I know people who do...

Guilty! I have two rotary dial red phones. One wall mount, one desk style. They are not the primary phones in the residence, but they do make cool pieces for the 'man cave'. Cold War Red Phone

No offence, but I don't see dial on this one [emoticon]

[image]

As you said, nothing wrong with keeping old, still working item as spare, but being old classic cars admirer, I am sad to notice that with benefits of new technology, too many well working old pieces are getting scraped.
The insurance cost makes keeping them cost-prohibitive, even if you can pay for mechanical upkeeping.
Than who still wants to drive a car with no air bags, no ABS and God forbid, no Bluetooth

Chainwright

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Chainwright wrote:

time2roll wrote:

free radical wrote:

Their 15 minute charge is BS as no such bateries exist now.
Better tell that to Porsche.

Porsche Mission E wrote:

Mission: Everyday practicality
“Fifteen minutes is an acceptable amount of charging time. And with 800 volts, it’s also feasible.” (Stefan Weckbach)

Charging time and the range of a car are key topics in electromobility. Porsche is breaking new ground with the Mission E by doubling the standard charging voltage to 800. This results in shorter charging times as well as less weight, because power can be transmitted by thinner copper wires. The size of the lithium-ion battery enables the car to drive more than 300 miles on a single charge. It needs only 15 minutes to recharge for another 250 miles of range. Just enough time for a coffee break.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche........e/archive/374/articleoverview/article01/

Bam, and time2roll, drops the mic as he walks off. Well done time2roll.

LOL
Wake me up when Porsche has Any Electric car on the road,thnx

June 2019. Porsche is taking orders right now with a 2500 euro downpayment. I doubt a brand like Porsche will take your 2500 and not give you a finish product. You're welcome.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electric vehciles will be at their best in cities. There is a use for electric trucks as commercial vehicles in urban areas, where the infrastructure for charging them and short travel distance per day will make feasible. Using them for RVs will be the last place they will show up. Remote locations make charging problematic.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

... Remote locations make charging problematic.

That might depend on the length of your stay.
Technology brings big surprises every week those days.
We already have airplane who circled the Glob on solar panel.
Might not be long for road vehicle to do the same.

[image]

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

ppine wrote:

[image]

Cool pic. We saw something like this outside of Salt Lake City last year. Being used for construction headquarters. I imagine coupled with something like a Tesla power wall or two. Guessing around 6 to 8 kw under ideal conditions. (For each trailer).

Chainwright

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

ppine wrote:

[image]

Like I said before. Europe already has 60K+ charging stations and are aiming for close to a Million by 2020 (don't know how). If they can do it, we can too.
Sad that lately we've been pretty much coming in dead last when it comes to technology (somewhat exaggerated but not by much), but when it comes to making a new advanced bomb, lol, we're always #1.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Europe also has thousands of automotive propane stations and since propane there cost 1/3 what gasoline does, they already drive on alternative fuels most of the time.
Than pickus on European roads are as easy to spot as white elephants, so you can't compare different systems.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Heavy Duty Electric Trucks are Coming...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS