|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> shattered window

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went thru this when my escape window actually flew off going down the highway. It was cheapest to have the unit sent to me and I simply removed the operable glass from new unit and placed in existing frame. $100 deductible on Comprehensive. So why make it difficult?????

FYI all RV window glass is tempered.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I went thru this when my escape window actually flew off going down the highway. It was cheapest to have the unit sent to me and I simply removed the operable glass from new unit and placed in existing frame. $100 deductible on Comprehensive. So why make it difficult?????

That's what I would do also.

Ron, seems that happens more often than you would think. Guy pulled in across from me last year. As he was outside doing his stuff, his wife came out of the 5th wheel visibly upset, looking up at their bedroom escape window that wasn't there.

Thanks heavens for Gorilla tape and cardboard.

Scott

lightfoot

Cary, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might give these guys a call and see if you can get just the window glass.

clicky

USN EN2
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L TD
2015 Voltage 3200
2004 Honda GL1800

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud1957 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

That's what I would do also.

Ron, seems that happens more often than you would think. Guy pulled in across from me last year. As he was outside doing his stuff, his wife came out of the 5th wheel visibly upset, looking up at their bedroom escape window that wasn't there.

Thanks heavens for Gorilla tape and cardboard.

Scott

I didn't even know we had an escape window in the living area. I saw it fly off right in front of a Motorhome as I was passing and starting to pull in front of him. We both stopped, they said they saw it flopping as we were passing and when it hit it exploded and pcs hit their rig. No damage to them.

Pulling into Thousand Trails PalmSprings we were all the talk. Many said "your window is missing".

Received the new unit and installed the missing glass/frame. Latched in place and caulked that sucker shut from the outside with Black RTV caulking and removed the red handles and escape window sticker.

[image]

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I didn't even know we had an escape window in the living area. I saw it fly off right in front of a Motorhome as I was passing and starting to pull in front of him. We both stopped, they said they saw it flopping as we were passing and when it hit it exploded and pcs hit their rig. No damage to them.

Pulling into Thousand Trails PalmSprings we were all the talk. Many said "your window is missing".

Received the new unit and installed the missing glass/frame. Latched in place and caulked that sucker shut from the outside with Black RTV caulking and removed the red handles and escape window sticker.

[image]

I'm curious. Do you now keep a "window buster" tool nearby...just in case? After seeing the pics of that FW that went up down in Yuma last year, there'd be no question of me leaving the window as an escape, but I'd figure out =why= the other one opened up.

Lyle

* This post was edited 01/14/19 02:26pm by an administrator/moderator *

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I'm curious. Do you now keep a "window buster" tool nearby...just in case?"

The RV pictured was traded on current DRV. I told the Dealer what I did and gave then the handles.

Understand the bedroom having one but the living area not so much. YES I do have a window breaker on a Kershaw knife. I also have many objects at my disposal that WILL break 1/8" tempered glass.

Current RV has an escape window at the back side window. It is operable and has a latching system that won't allow the window to fly open traveling down the road.

Ozlander

Rose Hill, Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably because somebody left the handle up.

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"I'm curious. Do you now keep a "window buster" tool nearby...just in case?"

The RV pictured was traded on current DRV. I told the Dealer what I did and gave then the handles.

Understand the bedroom having one but the living area not so much. YES I do have a window breaker on a Kershaw knife. I also have many objects at my disposal that WILL break 1/8" tempered glass.

Current RV has an escape window at the back side window. It is operable and has a latching system that won't allow the window to fly open traveling down the road.

Glad you were thinking it through. Fire is a bit of a phobia with both DW and I. I did NOT show her the pics of the Yuma fire! [emoticon]

Lyle

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ozlander wrote:

Probably because somebody left the handle up.

They just vibrated open.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> shattered window
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS