RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 5th Wheels in NY considered "House Trailers"?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheels in NY considered "House Trailers"?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/19 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks that live in mobile homes usually pay property tax even if they rent the land. Even if a mobile home has no tenants, the property owner gets to pay the property tax. There is a gray area between RV's and mobile homes and they might be getting ready with the black paint.

mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/19 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more thing that NY trailer owners may not realize. Instead of sending your registration in when you receive it in the mail. I wait until about a week before our first trip and register it then. They will pro-rate the fee. The drawback is, it has to be done AT the DMV, you can't send it in. It saves us, on average, $50 on a $130 registration every year. If you go online and make an appointment at your local DMV office before you go, it's usually only about a 15 minute wait.

2017 Silverado 1500 LT, Max Tow

2012 Outback 277RL

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 12:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just go to Wampsville, Pulaski or Fulton instead of N Syr. I've always done mine around mid-late May to re-new.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mooky stinks wrote:

One more thing that NY trailer owners may not realize. Instead of sending your registration in when you receive it in the mail. I wait until about a week before our first trip and register it then. They will pro-rate the fee. The drawback is, it has to be done AT the DMV, you can't send it in. It saves us, on average, $50 on a $130 registration every year. If you go online and make an appointment at your local DMV office before you go, it's usually only about a 15 minute wait.

So trailer registration goes from January to December? No matter when you actually register? And you only have to pay from the time you register? That is not bad. Don't tell your politicians - they will stop that immediately!

In Connecticut, unless I'm mistaken, registration simply starts on the day you register the trailer or vehicle. Then the state sends you a demand every so often for more money (otherwise known as "renewal").

neal10a

Madison CT

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5th wheel trailers in many states only need to register and pay the fee once. North Eastern states like to charge a renewal fee every year while finding ways to increase that annual fee. Registration fees are simply another tax and how they classify that fee determines the amount. High taxation is favored in the north eastern states-- especially New York and Connecticut.

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mooky stinks wrote:

That sucks...cause in FL, I don't think my registration costs more than $50 anyway

2017 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax Crew Cab Z71
2014 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 6.7 Cummins w/ Aisin, Flatbed
2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 290BH w/ B & W Companion (T/O Ball)
Old Rig:
2005 Wildcat 29BHBP w/ Andersen UH (Aluminum, lowered version for flatbed)
SBGTF

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheels in NY considered "House Trailers"?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS