|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Just bought our first gasser

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like we have just purchased our 4th motorhome and our first gasser. My wife requires a wheelchair or mobility scooter. We will have a 2016 Newmar Canyon Starr 3911 by the end of the week.
I am pretty sure it will not stop as quick as the three diesel coaches we have had in the past. I cannot find out if the '16 model has disc brakes all the way around. I have never met the guy I bought it from and he tells me he 'believes' it does.
This is a well appointed coach and has lots of bells and whistles and I am hoping there is disc brakes there. Does anyone have or know if the '16 gassers had disc brakes? Our plans are to continue towing the Jeep 4 door and the issue worries me. We do have a BB with the Jeep

horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

edbehnke

North America (from Michigan)

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

have him go out and see if it does. at this point i guess you are buying it regardless.

eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
2500HD

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2014 had four wheel discs. You'll have no problems towing the Jeep. I don't subscribe to the theory that diesels stop better, they all have brakes that meet DOT standards for the GVWR. Whatever the traction limits of your tires, that's the limit of how quickly you can stop.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Lwiddis

Death Valley!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope it does have disk brakes but the horse is out of the barn. You bought it.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/19 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume it is the F53 chassis? If it is, don't they all have discs all the way around, including power assist?

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They’re disc. I’d investigate Bosch ceramic pads and replace the fluid with fresh Ford OEM brake fluid.

Also inspect discs for over heating; blue, cracks, etc.

You’ll be fine.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are most concerned about stopping, and are pulling a toad, be sure and put a brake system on the toad. Our toad is under 4000 pounds, and does not require a brake system, but I can feel it pushing me in a harder than normal stop. So I always consider this and try to leave myself extra stopping distance whenever possible. On long downhills or mountains, we sometimes detach the toad, and DW drives in front, where she can talk to me via cell phone, and advise of steep curves and/or traffic. Works for us.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 dog(?)

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like our gasser, because our small town mechanic can get it into his shop for oil change and most chassis and motor maintenance. Its a Ford truck, and most any small rural town mechanic knows them inside and out. Same thing all the farmers drive. Coach maintenance goes to Local small rural campground RV certified repair person. Good rates, great work. And haven't found anywhere it wouldn't go yet. A bit slower on mountains, but it gets there eventually. Branson was a pull, but we got there. Have made it over Black Mountain several times, and over Crossville and Crab Orchard is no sweat at all. Even got over the Bighorns going to Yellowstone.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes it has all disc brakes, both Ford and Workhorse had all disc brakes back as far as year 2000 I think, don't worry it will brake good towing if you have the transmission on tow-haul mode..

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Answered my questions and eased my worries guys. Thanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Just bought our first gasser
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS