|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Any advice is welcome

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Posting Help and Support

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d seriously consider a smaller and simpler Ford or Chevy van nose class C. Cheaper, more maneuverable and easier to get fixed Out in the middle of nowhere

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 04:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I could afford wrote:

I’d seriously consider a smaller and simpler Ford or Chevy van nose class C. Cheaper, more maneuverable and easier to get fixed Out in the middle of nowhere

I agree with this. One person and a dog...a mid sized C would be a great option.

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Ralph Cramden

Not on this rag of a forum

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

randysan wrote:

Can anyone please tell me what they know to be true.

thanks!!
r

What I think to be true is you had better have a budget of at least 2 times that $10K, just for the maintenance and repairs that could be required traveling around the country 24/7/365 in a 25 year old rig.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 1995 Cobra. Considering that it had been a beach camper it was in pretty good shape. It was on the old Chevy P30 truck chassis with the 454 engine and throttle body injection. I had it for 2 years and I put a fuel pump in it and that's about it. I would have done the brakes the year I sold it. BTW, I sold it for more than I paid for it.

It was an ok coach and would be perfect for a single. It was too small for us and the type of travel we were planning. Just make sure the brakes are working.

[image]

* This post was edited 01/09/19 06:04am by jplante4 *

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

I would have an expert look really closely. Heater hose disconnected? Expect to spend money for a new heater core. Also money for new belts and hoses plus coolant flush. Then there is probably tires and brakes needed. In reality old RVs can become a money pit in a hurry. Motor homes especially so.

These older P30 chassis motor homes had an issue with the heater valve and the control cable. They just broke and whatever position the heater vale was in, that's what you got. When I got mine, there was another manual valve in the heater hose (which the buyer forgot to tell us about) that shut the heat off. Figured it out after a chilly trip in May.

My solution was to buy an electronic heater valve from Thermotion. Worked great and no mechanical cables. I had to do the same thing to the Sahara when the heater control broke.

I had my Monterey for 2 years and it cost me about $5100 for maintenance and running costs. I sold it for $1000 more than I paid for it. We bought it as an alternative to renting and it was a great decision. You do have to be handy or the shops hourly labor will kill you.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I could afford wrote:

I too agree with this.
I had a "large" C for a few years and it would be fine for 2 occupants.
They can be had for less money but a decent one might still be above $10K.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

donn0128 wrote:

I would have an expert look really closely. Heater hose disconnected? Expect to spend money for a new heater core. Also money for new belts and hoses plus coolant flush. Then there is probably tires and brakes needed. In reality old RVs can become a money pit in a hurry. Motor homes especially so.

These older P30 chassis motor homes had an issue with the heater valve and the control cable. They just broke and whatever position the heater vale was in, that's what you got. When I got mine, there was another manual valve in the heater hose (which the buyer forgot to tell us about) that shut the heat off. Figured it out after a chilly trip in May.

My solution was to buy an electronic heater valve from Thermotion. Worked great and no mechanical cables. I had to do the same thing to the Sahara when the heater control broke.

I had my Monterey for 2 years and it cost me about $5100 for maintenance and running costs. I sold it for $1000 more than I paid for it. We bought it as an alternative to renting and it was a great decision. You do have to be handy or the shops hourly labor will kill you.

The Heater control valve and cable has nothing to do with Chevy or Ford if you had a Ford Chassis. They are ALL aftermarket controls and OEM coach builder installs. Doug

185EZ

Infinity and Beyond

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you decide on an rv?

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you start having that tight of a budget, whatever you buy is likely to require repairs. If you don't have a healthy budget for repairs, consider a different type of rv or wait until you can spend a little more. And, it also depends on how much work you can do yourself. RV labor rates tend to be higher than found in typical auto repair shops.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Any advice is welcome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS