RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can I run my WFCO output to a REDARC BCDC?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can I run my WFCO output to a REDARC BCDC?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
191124x7

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2019 Brookstone 395RL currently has a: WFCO WF-9875 75 AMP POWER DECKMOUNT CONVERTER - 55-4708

I'm in the process of adding a REDARC BCDC1240D... and running #2 AWG from my 2019 F-350 DRW's battery (I have the dual extra heavy duty alternators); and plan to connect it to the battery side of the BCDC.

Additionally I'm installing 960W of solar panels on top of the rig.

All of this will be charging 400ah (4 100's in parallel) AGM batteries.

I'm sorry this is kind of a complex question, but here it is in parts...

1. REDARC says that it is 'best' if the WFCO is not in the game. That the BCDC and WFCO might sense each other's voltage and force each other into float mode.

2. So if I shut off the WFCO at the circuit breaker, I'm assuming all is well... as long as there is sufficient sunlight to keep the batteries going and/or the truck is plugged in and running.

3. However, if I'm under trees and in clouds, and the truck is off, I will eventually run out of battery power. So in that case I'd like to turn on the WFCO... and shut off the BCDC input to the battery.

4. My first idea was a DC transfer switch; but I can't find one.

5. So my next idea was... what if I take the output of the WFCO and feed it ONLY and DIRECTLY into the DC input on the BCDC?

Finally my questions:

- I guess the first question is... will this even work? Like, am I right back in the same boat where the WFCO will go into float mode sensing the voltage from the solar/truck? But at this point do I even care because if it does, the sun/truck are charging... and if the sun/truck are not charging then the WFCO would come back up to 'bulk' and charge the batteries through the BCDC?

- second question is, with live power coming from the WFCO and the TRUCK/SOLAR at the same time (wired together at the DC input of the BCDC), will everything play nice, or will something burn up or catch on fire?

- third question is: Am I missing something and this is either not an issue, or is there a better way to solve it?

Thanks!
Bob

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it would br better to feed
Alter to REDARC
Solar to REDARC
WFCO to Battery
REDARC to battery.

As you surmised you can shut the WFCO off if you wish.

DC transfer switches do exist.. Or you can home brew. ONly need 2 or 3 parts

The circuit

Two sources one is the "optional" one is the Default

Default============= Relay NC contact
Optional---C---Diode----Relay NO contact
Relay coil between Optional (Point c) and ground.
Relay moving contact----- Battery

NOTE diode must be big enough to pass all the current and optional source must be adjusted to overcome diode forward bias drop (about 2 volts higher)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if the battery is low, the units will not be able to float and charging will commence, alot of people parallel chargers, which ever has higher voltage will take the brunt of the charger.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

191124x7 wrote:

5. So my next idea was... what if I take the output of the WFCO and feed it ONLY and DIRECTLY into the DC input on the BCDC?

This sounds reasonable to me !

I don't think you need #2 wire from the vehicle battery back to the BCDC. I would use a 50A MAXI fuse and holder, located close to the vehicle battery, which comes with a #6 pigtail. #6 should be adequate for the entire run.

If you dropped down to a REDARC BCDC1220 you could just use the existing wiring in vehicle. Yes, it will take longer to recharge your battery bank. How many hours do you typically drive in a day ?

191124x7 wrote:

- second question is, with live power coming from the WFCO and the TRUCK/SOLAR at the same time (wired together at the DC input of the BCDC), will everything play nice, or will something burn up or catch on fire?

You probably do NOT want all 3 power sources connected at the same time. I would use four relays to isolate things.

The first relay would sense 12V coming from the truck and disable the solar input (DC < 36V?) and a second 12V relay (rated for AC current) to disable shore power to the WFCO.

The third relay would be powered by AC (shore power) and disable power from the truck and the fourth relay would also be AC powered and disable input from the solar.

In theory, you could double pole relays, but having 12VDC on one pole and 120VAC on another makes me nervous !

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would feed the wfco to the dc input, along with the truck feed. The Redarc will do a much better job of voltage management than the wfco.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

191124x7

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

I would feed the wfco to the dc input, along with the truck feed. The Redarc will do a much better job of voltage management than the wfco.

Thanks!

Can the WFCO and truck be hot at the same time, or only one at a time?

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talk about initials and RV jargon. You've topped it and I don't know what any of it stands for.

Jayco-noslide

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

Talk about initials and RV jargon. You've topped it and I don't know what any of it stands for.

Perhaps this may help:

https://www.redarc.com.au/dual-input-40a-in-vehicle-dc-battery-charger

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My charging sources all play well together. I would never wish to disable solar charging.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t understand any of your concerns, and I have a Redarc BCDC1225 installed in my truck camper. I don’t have any solar though, so maybe that’s adding some complexity I’m just not picking up on.

The Redarc and the WFCO converter charger aren’t going to be trying to charge the batteries at the same time unless you plan on being hooked to shore power with the truck running all the time.

Connect the Redarc directly to the RV battery bank and don’t worry about the WFCO. It’s not doing anything until you plug into shore power. The Redarc will charge from the truck alternator if the truck is running, or solar if the sun is shining, and it will prefer solar if both are available.

This statement makes no sense to me:
“3. However, if I'm under trees and in clouds, and the truck is off, I will eventually run out of battery power. So in that case I'd like to turn on the WFCO... and shut off the BCDC input to the battery.”

Sounds to me like you’re camping without shore power, so what will turning on the WFCO do? Are you going to plug into generator power? If so, there will be no problem. The Redarc won’t be trying to charge the batteries because the truck is off, and the solar panels aren’t producing power because they are shaded. Even if the panels were putting out SOME power, the Readarc needs to see at least 9 volts from your solar panels before it will produce an output. If you’re getting some battery charging from your panels, why would you need to “turn on the WFCO”?

I don’t understand your concerns, but maybe I’m missing something.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can I run my WFCO output to a REDARC BCDC?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS