RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Adding two 6v to two 12v?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Adding two 6v to two 12v?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can spring for a new Class A but putting a matching set of batteries is not feasible?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I was being a bit "Sarcastic" with the word "Slight" I agree double the usable capacity is a BIG difference.

Also in the 9 years my Original Interstate GC-2's lasted I "OOPSED" a few times. what is an OOPS. Down so far even ther light won't light. Most of those were Early on. and the Replacement Deka' been OOPSED one time but that was not my fault. (Converter died).

MARINE/deep cycler and Starting batteries generally do not recover well from that kind of a VERY DEEP discharge.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know what you're expecting to gain from 2 6v over 2 12v, both being deep cycle. And BTW, 12v RV marine / trolling motor batteries are deep cycle batteries, despite what "know it alls" lead you to believe.

Buy 2 new 12v batteries same as the existing 2, and you will be happy.
You will not notice any difference if you go to 6v, if you discharge to 50%

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

You can spring for a new Class A but putting a matching set of batteries is not feasible?

Well I did not afford my Class A by throwing out perfectly good stuff (Wasting money) and I know for a fact that so long as they are in Parallel not series. batteries need only match on one parameter VOLTAGE. Batteries will work out all the other differences. You can parallel a aaa aaaa c and D battery and they will work it out.

Same with a Group 24 27. 29 31 and a pair of GC2. they will work it out. 100% guaranteed.

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJsfishin wrote:

I don't know what you're expecting to gain from 2 6v over 2 12v, both being deep cycle. And BTW, 12v RV marine / trolling motor batteries are deep cycle batteries, despite what "know it alls" lead you to believe.

Not trying to be one of those nasty ‘Know-it-alls” but one should be advised that not all 12v as advertised ‘deep cycle’ batteries are truly deep cycle, many are actually hybrid designs to allow for boat engine cranking...A true deep cycle can cycle below a 50% state of charge without long term damage...

3 tons

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the best resource for connecting batteries in parallel.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

judelaurenzo25g

Downey, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 12:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

If you read the whole post you would have seen that money isn't the issue. I just didn't want toss out two new 12v. I am adding two more batteries so I would have a total of 4. I was trying to figure out if adding two 6 would work with the 12v ok.

A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

judelaurenzo25g

Downey, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 12:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJsfishin wrote:

Thanks for the advice, I was leaning this way and decided to do exactly what you're suggesting.

judelaurenzo25g

Downey, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 12:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Well I did not afford my Class A by throwing out perfectly good stuff (Wasting money) and I know for a fact that so long as they are in Parallel not series. batteries need only match on one parameter VOLTAGE. Batteries will work out all the other differences. You can parallel a aaa aaaa c and D battery and they will work it out.

Same with a Group 24 27. 29 31 and a pair of GC2. they will work it out. 100% guaranteed.

I'm not cheap but I'm trying to follow your lead and not throw money away. I've done lots of that in my younger days.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Adding two 6v to two 12v?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS