|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> what to tow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
DRTDEVL

Las Cruces, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One piece of warning: The owner's manual may not always be right.

We are at the peak of Snowbird season down here in the southwest, and I have already towed in two different 2018 Chevy SUVs that were being flat-towed within the same week. The issue is with the instructions: flat-tow by placing in neutral and turn ignition off.

You can't turn the push-button ignition off in neutral, only park. So you either run the engine in neutral all day long, or start it every couple hours and run for a while to charge the battery. Another option would be to disconnect the battery once in neutral.

Yes, GM is aware of the issue by now. I am not sure how they will handle it, whether a re-programming of the computer in cars that people desire to flat-tow, or a prohibition in the manual.

I'm sure this will be a growing issue with the proliferation of push-button ignitions.

Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

Lwiddis

Death Valley!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, Earl! Asking before you buy is the way to go. Too, to, two many don’t ask first.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Earl, welcome. I used to tow a Chevy Sonic as those above. Great little tow car, automatic transmission. I now tow a Jeep Wrangler. Once setup to tow both do great. The Sonic weighs less, the Jeep gives me way more options on where I can go. Didn’t dare take Sonic through Monument Valley as an example. Sonic has a more comfortable ride, better if you need to take extra adults for a ride, but a way lower fun factor. When looking for a tow setup take a hard look at the Ready Brute Elite setup. Easy to use.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> what to tow
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS