|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> single axel or double

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your friend has it backwards a dual axle is easier to back then a single. I would get the floor plan you like regardless how many axles. The single axle I looked at had 15" tires and the dual had two 13" tires.

nineoaks2004

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't tell the difference backing. Personally I prefer the single axle but that is my opinion. I presently have a single axle and it handles just fine, However I agree, do not let that be the deciding factor, you need to find one that has /does what you want it to do as far as livability,. Good luck in the search.

By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When backing, length plays a bigger part than the number of axles. Short trailers react quicker to steering corrections and thus are harder to back.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

prichardson wrote:

When backing, length plays a bigger part than the number of axles. Short trailers react quicker to steering corrections and thus are harder to back.

^^^^^^ What he said. My popup and my TT handle way different when backing, and it has nothing to do with the number of axles.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The notion that dual axles are somehow more stable or easier to handle than single is not only a matter of opinion, there is nothing documented to support that. I've had single axle trailers, one hybrid trailer of which was towed on several cross country trips. There was no difference between the stability and handling compared to a dual axle trailer.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

Lwiddis

near La Cuesta Encantada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

15s are even better, Lynnmor.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A dual axle will handle bumps better (i.e. easier on the trailer itself and its contents). When only one axle climbs over something like a speed bump, the trailer frame only raises half the distance since the equalizer shares the load between axles. On a single axle it raise the same as the tire.

This does not affect “handling” in the sense of towing.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bigger question in my mind is which is easier to overload. For the size trailer you are looking at it can be easy to overload the single axle (depending on the particular axle). Double axles can give you 2X the axle capacity which is nice.

Plus redundancy is a good thing and changing a flat on a tandem is a breeze with a ramp of leveling blocks.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

No truck, no trailer...I do love flying though.

Current vehicle is a 2.5 n/a 2016 Ford Fusion, soon to be a TV. (Great Car)

Y’all think RV’ing is expensive you should try General Aviation...but my the view

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year I put almost 10,000 miles on my single axle TT. The only reason I would go to a double would be higher weight capacity. My trailer weighs 2700 pounds empty and ha a gross weight of 3600. I could see how some people would max it out easily.
I do like the simplicity of the single axle. I have been towing 3000 pound utility trailers for almost 45 years. I have had my share of blowouts/flats. I have never had a properly loaded trailer get squirrely or unpredictable r dangerous. If you have to trailer that is improperly loaded things can go south in a hurry.

Bob & Dawn Married 30 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the duals because they make the ride better. I’ve had single and dual axle trailers and can’t remember any bad handling caused by either one. I do find that the single axle had more of a jerking action than the dual. It always felt like something was tugging on the tv when hitting bumps. The flat tire thing is also a factor. I really like rolling far enough to get to a safe place to change a tire.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> single axel or double
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS