|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Surveillance Camera Setups on your RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Neat idea
Nice install

Course just because an item is available aftermarket does NOT mean it is useful, needed or an improvement....just means it is marketable

Personally I have no need/requirement of such on RV or at home.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

lap527

Ocala, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My friend has a security camera but only wanted it because of the dog. I think she loves her dog more than her own kids. LOL...

2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/
14'V Nose Trailer Hauling 2014 Tri-glide Harley Davidson Or Four Wheeling on a 2017 Razr 900.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Nest camera's on the outside and inside of my home. It sends a notification and also records 24/7 anyone who comes to the front of our place. I can also talk to them from the app also. I have lot of valuable merchandise on my property. As far as RV's go, it's not like we have never heard of RV breakin's. Security's a good thing. It works on more than just thieves. I had this really obese employee trip on my property and tried to say it was my fault. After I showed her the video, she had to admit she can't even see her own feet. Case closed. Criminals know to look for cams, they would rather hit your dark camless rig-path of least resistance.

Retired Anesthetist. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS .Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey. Thorp T18, tons of tools and tons of junk.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lap527 wrote:

My friend has a security camera but only wanted it because of the dog. I think she loves her dog more than her own kids. LOL...

Doesn't everyone?

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

SidecarFlip wrote:

Guess I feel safer than you. Never saw the need at home or in an RV.

Crank or not, I do but then, we are usually within reach of a heater and I don't mean for warmth either.

I've noticed that overall, urban dwellers are generally more paranoid about security things than country people are. Guess it has a lot to do with living in close proximity to other humans.

Nearest humans to us are 1/2 mile away.

I disagree with the idea that urban dwellers are more paranoid about security. I have found a fairly equal percentage of paranoia between urban and country dwellers in my region. I think it's more about personality than locale. Some folks worry about the unknown and some don't.

For example, a co-worker who lives in the same area as I do, has the doorbell cam, security lights, etc. I have none of those things. He worries about someone coming to his door while he is at work. I am not worried about that.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a camera above the door at my house, I use for two things. To keep an eye on the dog when it's tied up out front, and to see who's knocking at the door when I'm upstairs in my lab/workshop. This way I can choose to ignore them or drop what I'm doing, take off PPE and head downstairs to interact. Usually its the former.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

tchil

Woodland Park, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used the Wyze cameras in our trailer to keep an eye on things when the dog had to ride back there one time. We just turned on a hotspot on the phone and connected the camera and then could view it with the other phone live from inside the truck. We also had two way audio. Those cameras use a USB cable so can be plugged into a usb charging port and run off your batteries. The best part is they only cost $30 shipped.

Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

185EZ

Infinity and Beyond

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a nice set up with the lights
I assume lights come on with motion detection so there isn't IR on the camera.
My neighbor has the Blink system. It still needs to connect to a router so 110 is needed or wifi
But the camera can mount anywhere and just uses 2 lithium batteries.
The single system was selling for $78
https://blinkforhome.com/

* This post was edited 01/09/19 03:03pm by 185EZ *

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Love it!
First off, its another gadget! That's fun in itself.

I use it at home for a number of reasons, the least being the actual footage of Video but more for watching the dogs and using the camera, the visible camera, as a deterrent. Just as having or leaving lights on was a deterrent, having a fake or real camera serves the same purpose.

I have considered using them in the RV, once again for the dogs but the area's I'm generally in, Wi-Fi/ Cellular Data are pretty much hit and miss...even still I like the idea and may use one inside for the times I do have a connection.

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone feel like talking about the technical side of wifi cameras setup on your RV?

There are lots of options. Ive been researching for a couple days and learned some good info. The "wired" versions of the Ring cameras are superior. Which sucks for an RV installation. But its doable.

With the floodlight and siren activated it only pulled 28watts. Max recorded was a 38w spike.

Im looking at the $20 wyze cams. No spotlight but at 20 bucks you could put them anywhere. Negative ive seen is 15-20 second lag to alert your phone.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Surveillance Camera Setups on your RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS