|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> convert gas generator to propane

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Add Sta-Bil or a similar product to the gas and run the generator long enough to get it to the carb.

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we bought our new toy hauler, second on the list of must haves after tri-axle was gasoline generator.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sorry to be another offering no information about your conversion, but I had a propane powered generator and it was a terrible mistake to have not put in a generator that ran on the same fuel source as the coach. Your gas generator has a 90-100 gallon tank of fuel to run off of allowing for few concerns about needing to refuel often. Should you change to propane you are also going to need to find a location to mount a 100# propane tank as you will burn through propane pretty quickly. On a very hot weekend in Virgina we were dry camping and the generator had to run 24 hours a day and we had to refuel fuel before the weekend was over. That would never have been an issue if I had been using my 100 gallon fuel tank. Propane is also generally more expensive than gas and it derates your genset by about 500 points (5000 would not be rated 4500).

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run a few BOATS .just add sea foam to your tank run gen for a bit ,then forget it, some of my motors sit over a year and take off and run just fine. I do like the fuel shut off valve idea think thats a very good idea.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not only is propane expensive and bulky, but it is often hard to find. In my area the refueling stations have closed. There are plenty of exchange places but there are some issues. First the tanks are only filled to 15 instead of 20 pounds. I don't understand why except that this makes more money for the exchanges. Next the exchange tanks are often in bad condition, years and years out of date and do not show re-certification. You will not be able to get one of these tanks refilled.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Your gas generator has a 90-100 gallon tank of fuel to run off of allowing for few concerns about needing to refuel often.

Haven't seen many fivers with a 100 gallon fuel tank! [emoticon]

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Your gas generator has a 90-100 gallon tank of fuel to run off of allowing for few concerns about needing to refuel often.

Haven't seen many fivers with a 100 gallon fuel tank! [emoticon]

Not only that, but many motorhomes (virtually all class C's, for instance) don't have a fuel tank that large. The standard Ford E series tanks are 55 gallons...which is still a lot of generator usage, particularly when compared to a dozen gallons or so of propane.

Some toy haulers do have a gasoline tank not only for a generator but also to fuel up one's toys. I don't think such tanks are anywhere near 100 gallons, though, in general.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What ever the capacity of the existing tank, it is there
And will give more runtime than the same amount of propane which will have to be carried in 20# or 30# bottles
Even 20 gallons of gas will equal 22 gallons or more of propane, which will be at least 5 20# bottles

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

And will give more runtime than the same amount of propane which will have to be carried in 20# or 30# bottles
Even 20 gallons of gas will equal 22 gallons or more of propane, which will be at least 5 20# bottles

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

If it's a factory installed gas generator you must also assume that it is attached to a vehicle with uses gas as a power source. Speculating that it's a 5th wheel with a gas powered 4000W generator seems to be a great leap to me. However, I know very little about how 5th wheel generators are powered.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

MrWizard wrote:

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

If it's a factory installed gas generator you must also assume that it is attached to a vehicle with uses gas as a power source. Speculating that it's a 5th wheel with a gas powered 4000W generator seems to be a great leap to me. However, I know very little about how 5th wheel generators are powered.

How is it “speculating” or a “great leap” when the OP said that’s the case?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> convert gas generator to propane
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS