|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are doing some retirement planning (18 months) and hope to spend a good portion of our time traveling. While exploring trip planning it seems KOA has a pretty good network of campgrounds. Does anyone have a KOA membership? How useful has it been to you? Would you give the KOA campgrounds you have stayed at four out of five stars or have you found some of their campgrounds places you would want to avoid?

Any information would be helpful.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the above. We have been KOA members for several years and the cost pays for itself every year. The hook, of course, is that they encourage you to stay at their parks to get the discount instead of others so it's a win-win for both parties.
We have found the KOA campgrounds to be a cut above the ordinary but some are better/worse than others. You just have to try them and make a list of the ones that are good/bad for you.
We (two 80 year olds) typically stay at the same CG's as in the past and don't normally go to areas we have never been. Our adventurous spirit has flown!

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find KOAs to be generally expensive. Even with the 10% off, I'd rather stay elsewhere at less cost.

As fulltimers, we've stayed at a handful over the years and usually just barely break even when we pay for the membership.

The quality of the parks we've stayed at is usually decent but rarely wows me.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We considered a membership back when we still had a pop-up camper and our daughter was a pre-teen. Our experience with KOAs is that they are like staying at Super 8 motels. Some are fantastic while others are nothing more 50's styled CGs are really just dumps. Most are some level in-between. In the end it felt too restrictive to lock ourselves into something like that.

rvparkreviews.com is your friend. Look them up before you go.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

Lwiddis

near La Cuesta Encantada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn’t find the KOA membership cost effective nor their locations sufficiently scenic. I very much prefer finding new places. Some are disappointing but other new places...wow.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been KOA members for years. When we camp-we generally go on trips as versus weekends and typically stay at Good Sam campgrounds or KOA. As was mentioned KOA tends to be a bit more $$'s but they generally offer more. Usually they have stores for camping supplies-pool areas-dog walks, and informative and friendly staff, clean restrooms and showers. For us-we definitely get our Bang for the Buck. Like their Camp Ground Directories as well

04 F250,CC, 4x4, Dsl., LgBd, XLT, SuperDuty, Cmpr Pkg, Off Rd Pkg

07 Arctic Fox 29 5T
Toad Riv B.C.
17 Chev/CLS C F.R. Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have often stayed at KOAs. Have never stayed one that I would try to avoid for future stays. But some are much nicer than others. They actually have 3 levels of parks, Journey (fewest amenities and geared more toward short stays), Holiday (more amenities), Resort (most amenities), and price according to type and location.

At 10% off, 6-8 nights will pay for the card depending on rate for each night. Plus you accumulate points toward future stays. And can get a free night at a certain of year.

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first campground after we picked up our first RV was at a KOA in Branson MO. They signed us up with a membership and we spent three nights there. We did not stay in another KOA for a 8 months. We never renewed the club membership but we do stay at KOA's when convenient to our plans.
We much prefer state and other govt campgrounds USFS, USACE, NP's, BLM.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been a member for a long time. Some CG’s are great some should be removed as they give KOA a bad name. I’ve used their reward system to pay for many a stay. I will continue to use KOAs but read the reviews of each potential CG.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

trailertraveler

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my opinion any membership is only worth it if you use it. In addition to the camping discounts, some of the discounts offered to members by other companies like Allstate RV Help roadside assistance can make the membership worth while. As mentioned KOA campgrounds generally tend to be at the high end of the price point for their local area. However, they are generally decent campgrounds. Also as mentioned, points are accumulated based on each stay and can add up to an additional discount. What they call "hot deals" can be system wide or park specific and often include stay one night get one free or at a big discount.

Both the Passport America and Good Sam systems have more participating campgrounds than KOA, but they run the gambit from terrible to excellent. Passport America parks often have time of year and length of stay conditions for the steepest discount. But, it pnly takes a few nights to break even. Good Sam membership includes a discount at Camping World, Gander Mountain and Overtons. The Good Sam Action Line's intervention in two warranty disputes on my behalf saved me over $1000. That's more than I will spend in membership fees for a long time.

The America the Beautiful Senior Pass is one of the best deals going. It provides free entry and camping discounts at many federal facilities. Many states also have camping passes and entrance passes that can be worth it if you will use it enough.

Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS