|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
haddy1

Chesterfield, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my experience (over 40 years with RVs) their prices continue to go up but most of their parks are going down. Of course, there are exceptions. They like to charge extra for everything. I avoid them if I can.

KOA= Keep on Adding.

2012 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH
2007 Jeep Wrangler Toad

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The benefit of KOA and a membership is consistency. They are all pretty much ok. Some are tighter than others, some are away from it all while others are right downtown. But, at least for us, none have been "we need to leave" terrible. I cannot say the same of non-affiliated private parks.

They have recently started a re-branding of the Kampgrounds. Journey, Holiday and Resort in the name indicates the level of service you can expect. The KOA in Hatteras is considered a Resort; having stayed there I'm not sure I agree. The one in Newburgh NY is a Holiday and that seems right.

So, if you need a decent place with 50 amp, water and sewer every once in a while, the membership is worth it. I'm sure the KOA haters will be along shortly to say otherwise, but just keep in mind that most of them have never stayed at a KOA because it's beneath them.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

trailertraveler

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

haddy1 wrote:

In my experience (over 40 years with RVs) their prices continue to go up but most of their parks are going down. Of course, there are exceptions. They like to charge extra for everything. I avoid them if I can.

KOA= Keep on Adding.
This is a very old and common slur on KOAs. Many campgrounds/RV parks charge different rates for different services and amenities. A dry site (if available) will almost always be the cheapest. Water/electric sites are usually less than full hookups. Sites with 50 amp service are often more than sites with 30 amp service. Many parks charge extra for sites that have cable or charge for access to Wifi. A pull through may be more than a backin. KOA is no different in this regard and their website is very good at showing the types of sites available, the amenities available and the cost. There is of course no guarantee that the cheapest site is available or that your RV will fit in it. Like most RV Parks/campgrounds, KOAs generally charge for what is available at the site not what you say you want to or will not use.

Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

delwhjr

TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been members of KOA for a few years and have been able to recoup our fees each year and more. It is true that many times they are more expensive but they have also been more convenient in some cases. They are just one option to chose while traveling and makes some sense to have the discount available. We were also glad to have it on one trip when we were trying to make a last minute change and found no open sites in an area we wanted to stay. We called the KOA directly and when we told them we were members they found a way to accommodate us.

2006 Durango HEMI Equal-i-zer
2019 Rockwood UltraLite 2608BSD

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

The benefit of KOA and a membership is consistency. They are all pretty much ok. Some are tighter than others, some are away from it all while others are right downtown. But, at least for us, none have been "we need to leave" terrible. I cannot say the same of non-affiliated private parks.

They have recently started a re-branding of the Kampgrounds. Journey, Holiday and Resort in the name indicates the level of service you can expect. The KOA in Hatteras is considered a Resort; having stayed there I'm not sure I agree. The one in Newburgh NY is a Holiday and that seems right.

So, if you need a decent place with 50 amp, water and sewer every once in a while, the membership is worth it. I'm sure the KOA haters will be along shortly to say otherwise, but just keep in mind that most of them have never stayed at a KOA because it's beneath them.

Stayed in 85 KOA's out of 334 since retirement - very very few that I would not go back to - they tend to charge what others of like quality do in their area - SO no they are not expensive

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
333 Campgrounds,76K miles driven in our motor homes and 1584 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow folks, great information.I'll have to sit down with "The Boss" and discuss. We've stayed at two KOA's and she enjoyed both but figured there would be a lot of hands on experience from members of the forum to give us some guidance. Much appreciated.

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I rarely renew it when the notice comes in the mail, but every year we find ourselves spending enough nights in KOA sites that we renew it on the first big trip. It usually pays for itself in five nights, and we always hit that every year.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had a KOA membership for a long time, almost 20 years now. We renew every year and some years the membership has paid for itself and other years it has not. It all depends upon how much you use KOA campgrounds.

We have appreciated every KOA we’ve stayed at. Mostly, our visits are for an overnight stop when traveling over 2 days or more. About 20 years ago, we stayed 3 days at the KOA in Richmond, Indiana and that little visit ended up with us buying our first travel trailer at, formerly, Tom Raper RV, which is now a Camping World.

For overnights, I don’t think a KOA anywhere can be beat. We almost always get a pull through, don’t have to unhitch as sites are almost always level. Sites always have full hook-up. Some KOA are a little more space challenged, others are much more spacious.

We stayed at the Louisville, Kentucky / Jeffersonville, Indiana KOA for 3 nights a few years ago for a Barry Manilow concert. Although the concert was just the one day, we used the opportunity to explore the area. I wouldn’t call that camping, it was just a place to park and sleep. So, although very tight on space, it served the purpose we needed.

I think that’s the important thing to consider if selecting to stay at a KOA. What is your intended purpose. Each KOA is completely different. Although they are a national franchise, each KOA is still independently owned and operated, so they are going to be as different from each other as a grape is to a pizza. The only thing they have in common is the fact they can be consumed.

So, as in all cases, before getting the membership, consider your “camping” needs first. Almost all KOA’s will have a swimming pool, shelter area, different activities for kids. Some offer hay rides, events activities like Halloween and 4th of July themes.

Of course KOA’s are going to be a bit more “commercial” than State or Federal campgrounds. They mostly won’t be in a simulated “natural” setting, although some are. So, if you are looking for bicycle trails, hiking trails, horse riding trails, you’re not going to find that. At best, you MIGHT find a fishing hole if one is located along a lake or a river. They make excellent bedroom campsites, and if you have kids, they usually have good activities for the kids.

Is it worth it? For us? Yes. The convenience of having a safe, secure, and comfortable nights sleep is well worth the merger price of membership.

Below are some photos of the many KOA’s we’ve visited over the years. See for yourself. Remember, our visits were mostly just an overnight, so we didn’t need the more robust campsites. We always had full hook-up and pull-through sites. That was the most important feature.

Hershey, PA July 2000
[image]

LaSalle, Illinois July 2005
[image]

Ozark, Alabama December 2014
[image]

Louisville, Kentucky (Jeffersonville, Indiana) June 2015
[image]

Cartersville, Georgia December 2015
[image]

Eureka, Missouri June 2016
[image]

Corbin, Kentucky December 2016
[image]

Peru, Illinois July 2017
[image]

[image]

Mitchell, South Dakota July 2017
[image]

Grand Island, Nebraska July 2017
[image]

Newport, Tennessee December 2017
[image]

Milton, West Virginia December 2017
[image]

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
2 dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks, lots of love.

And yes, it really does have a door on the opposite side:

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, I would hold off buying any membership until you know the kind of camping you like to do. We bought one and used it once, obviously not worth the money and when they refused to give me a refund when we broke down on the road, and wouldn't even let us come the following day, that ended our relationship. BUT as it turned out, we ended up not liking private campgrounds as they feel like expensive parking lots. We camp at National, State and even County and City parks. We love Forest Service camps and even enjoy boondocking in the woods. So my recommendation is wait and see what you enjoy doing before investing.

Our Road Less Traveled

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

haddy1 wrote:

KOA= Keep on Adding.

I still don’t know where this comes from. As many times as we have stayed at a KOA I have never paid more than the price quoted when making reservations on line, or pulling in and getting a site in person.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS