|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Simple Inverter Option

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Grodyman

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to run television/dvd player off inverter and charge electronics.

There is no 12V outlet in rv and the geniuses at Passport put the outlets, including the one the television plugs into, on the same breaker as the converter, so the simple plug shore cord into inverter won't help.

Any suggestions? Battery inside rv with dedicated outlet? Drill a bunch of holes in my trailer to run an extension chord? Read a book??

Gman

2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of us put an spst switch in the converter's 120v side to turn it off. If you don't know what spst is, better read a book.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's what I've done to add a backup camera, and will do to go solar. Ain't nothing sacred anymore, certainly not with regard to adding wires to your camper.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was able to easily rewire the converter to a different breaker inside of the distribution panel.

I am not plugging the shore cord into the inverter, but I did wire in a simple 15a transfer switch that controls only the circuits that outlets are on (once I moved the converter to a different circuit).

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just install a 12v plug, get a 400w or so plug in inverter and you’re good to go. No need to get complicated just to watch tv.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would move the converter power connection to a different breaker. Actually I added a breaker to isolate it.

Add a small 150 to 350 watt sine inverter near the distribution panel. Connect 12v to the main battery feed. Use a small transfer switch to send power down the single branch.

I used a GoPower inverter as it has a very low idle draw and a provision for a remote power switch.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ductape wrote:

Just install a 12v plug, get a 400w or so plug in inverter and you’re good to go. No need to get complicated just to watch tv.
That's usually a pretty long run from the battery, so make sure your 12v wire is big enough. Easier to push 120v than 12v.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some converters are hard wired to the 120v breaker, while others are plugged into a receptacle, which in turn is on a 120v breaker.

So if the one breaker is doing both converter and TV receptacle, that might mean all you have to do is unplug the converter and leave the receptacles' breaker on.

If hard wired, as others said, just move the black wire from the converter over to a different breaker not needed and share with that, or even add a breaker if there is room on the bus.

If hard wired , you can also as said, insert a switch on the black wire from the converter before it gets to the breaker.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can run a dedicated line to ther TV compartment from the inverter and simply transfer. .There are easy ways to do this a photo of the Entainerment area I can make suggestions.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wanted to do exactly what you want to do. Watch TV and videos off-grid.

I ordered this inverter:
Inverter Link on Amazon

I ordered this USB outlet for charging:
USB 4 Port Outlet

That inverter has provision for a remote on/off switch. No need to interrupt power to the inverter, just turn it off with a remote switch. This inverter is a pure sine wave. I tried a MSW plugged into the 12VDC outlet, which I do have one, but no go for our TV. A PSW is not expensive, so why not treat your electronics to good tasting power.

That USB outlet is a 12VDC, which worked for me because I had a 12VDC source in that wall. If you don't, you can get the same outlet in a 120VAC version.

The inverter is in the storage compartment. Had to run a few wires, but it wasn't any big deal to do that.

Ended up looking like this:
[image]

The Ivory outlet is the original and is still on the house power. The TV is currently plugged in to that in this photo. When we move off of shore power, I move the TV plug to the White outlets and hit the White switch to power up the inverter. The USB ports are live all the time, on or off the grid.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Simple Inverter Option
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS