RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Tire wear, bent axle, replace or trade

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tire wear, bent axle, replace or trade

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look for Dexter authorized repair shops that are not RV dealers. If you make the jump go to 5200 because you get bigger, better, everything. There are some axles in between (4400?) that use parts from both 3500 and 5200, depending on manufacturer. Don't change your springs (unless you're breaking them) because that will bounce your trailer more shaking stuff apart.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look for a big rig trailer repair shop. They can R&R your trailers suspension and give you estimates on replacing or fixing current axle/suspension issues.
They have the equipment to bend the axle back to toe and camber specs for proper alignment.
Remember those folks are the experts on trailer frames and their suspensions.

Also tire wear especially with older gen ST tires can be the tread belt has separated across the tread...or one side of the tread....or one spot some where under the tread.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you've bent both 3500lb axles on a TT that wieghs 6000lbs or less loaded, either the axles are junk/defectvie or the trailer jumped one too many RxR crossings!
Seriously. Putting 5200lb axles under a trailer that has maybe 2500lb/axle load is silly. But not much different than thinking a 3/4 ton diesel only has a payload of 2000lbs.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

vjstangelo

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

3,500 lb axles are thin and easily bent. I replaced the bent from new junk on my KZ with custom made heavier axles from Dexter. Axles are rather cheap and not hard to replace. Replacing the entire trailer might just get you the same marginal stuff.

Ditto. Our Kz also had bad axles made by ALKO. Our shop replaced with Dexter axles and no more problems. The rig was about 5 years old at the time. We sold when it was 13 years old. I think the cost was about $500 or so total for the axle swap.

2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lenr wrote:

I would look for Dexter authorized repair shops that are not RV dealers. If you make the jump go to 5200 because you get bigger, better, everything. There are some axles in between (4400?) that use parts from both 3500 and 5200, depending on manufacturer. Don't change your springs (unless you're breaking them) because that will bounce your trailer more shaking stuff apart.

5200lb axles often have 12" brakes rather than 10" (good IMHO) and usually a 6 bolt hub. If your making a jump from 3500 or 4400lb axles sure you have at least 15" 6 bolt rims or you will likely need new rims as well to fit the hub and have room for 12" brakes. Many 3500lb axles have 5 lug hubs, the 4400lb axles seem to usually have a 6 luhg hub.

When I went looking some 4400lb axles (my existing ones included) had a 5200lb tube an oddball spindle,(neither 3500lb or 5200lb) 10" brakes like 3500lb and 6 lug hubs like a 5200. Kinda a mismash between the 3500lb and 5200lb axles.

with 5200lb axles, you will need at least a 225/15 LRE tire to match axle capacity. with a LRD 15" tire, tires will be the limiting factor. If you need new rims, and have the room, may as well go 16" in that case. way more tire choices!

* This post was edited 01/10/19 01:04pm by ktmrfs *

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do think that you probably "need" heavier axles as most TTs are underaxled IMO..... But you do need to consider the cost.
Do you presently have 5 or 6 lug rims?
To do an upgrade you will need 6 lug rims, and most likely heavier tires as well.

If it were mine, I would jump up to #5200 axles and 16" rims with Michelin XPS ribs. Expensive, but very stout and trouble free.

Buying a new TT, will likely get you another one with the same issue...

BTW, it is likely that you have been overloading your TT. It is real easy to do, and the way they are built, there is zero extra capacity.

I am a heavy packer as well, so I have some experience with this.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would really want to know why they failed in the first place. Your trailer weighs 5,000 pounds. Even at max GVWR, two 3500 lb axles should have lasted the life of the trailer.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you otherwise were planning to keep the trailer another 5+ years I would get new axles. Not sure I would worry about the upgrade if you would also need new tires and wheels. But maybe you need tires anyway so not a huge deal. Although I would tend to go disk brakes. Just a little more on the hardware but the pump and install will be a bit extra.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cost will depend on retaining the original brakes, springs or hardware. If all you want is stiffer axle tubes, then you would need to order axles that have the same ends, but with heavier or larger tubing. Go to Eastern Marine website to get an idea, or call Dexter directly and see if they still build custom axles. I did purchase directly from Dexter and the cost was fair considering I ordered custom parts. Carefully measure center to center distance for the springs and the distance from hub face to hub face before inquiring.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you ever weighed the camper? Before I went to all the expense listed above, I would try to find my unloaded weight and my loaded for a trip weight. Inside tire wear is one of the signs of an overloaded trailer.
Our camper is similar to yours, with a 6000 pound gross and a 4100 pound “dry” weight. We usually travel at about 5000 pounds. So far, the 2 3500 pound axles have been fine with no unusual tire wear.
If they didn’t have the proper equipment, your dealer may have done more bad than good.
Regardless, I’d still get the weights.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tire wear, bent axle, replace or trade
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS