RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Tire wear, bent axle, replace or trade

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Tire wear, bent axle, replace or trade

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
flguppie

Treasure Coast-FL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/16/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/10/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stopped in a good RV repair place today. They came highly recommended and do axles too. He has me slotted for next Friday to look it over and work up a recommendation/cost for me. I’ll post what I find out then. I’ll need new tires too, so I might look at upgrades all around. Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and advice.


FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2014 KZSpree Connect 220rbk
2010 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.4L


Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/12/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm kind of stepping into this thread w/o reading every response. But to answer the question to replace axles or buy a new rig.........I just put new 5k Dexter axles on my daughters horse trailer. They were the EZ lube. $369.00 for both axles plus $90.00 shipping. Pretty reasonable for a set of first class axles. Naturally there is additional cost of bolts, bushings, equalizer/rocker etc. I did the work my self. A new rig is a heck of a lot more cash than that, even if you paid someone to put those on.


V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Denali, stock....for now. 2015 Creekside 20fq w/300 watts solar. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 01/12/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage465 wrote:

I'm kind of stepping into this thread w/o reading every response. But to answer the question to replace axles or buy a new rig.........I just put new 5k Dexter axles on my daughters horse trailer. They were the EZ lube. $369.00 for both axles plus $90.00 shipping. Pretty reasonable for a set of first class axles. Naturally there is additional cost of bolts, bushings, equalizer/rocker etc. I did the work my self. A new rig is a heck of a lot more cash than that, even if you paid someone to put those on.
,

I am in the replace/upgrade camp myself. If you upgrade and do it right you will have a much more reliable TT.... Trading it in will just get you another TT with marginal running gear.

Even if you spend 2-3K on the upgrade, it will be worth it.....IF you like the TT otherwise.

My only warning is if you decide to upgrade, is do not go partway. That will likely mean a waste of money.



Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.



myredracer

Langley B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/12/19 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have factory installed 5200 lb axles on our TT when standard is 3500 lb. on it. Besides having stronger axle tubes and springs, it has the larger 12" brakes. Over 20,000 miles around 7 western states on all sorts of roads in the past 5 seasons and no issues.

If you don't want the expense of having to use 6-bolt wheels, axles can be ordered with a larger diameter 3" tube so you can use 5-bolt wheels. Going to a frame & axle shop is the best place to go as they can do a detailed inspection to ensure there isn't more going on than just bent axles and have all the required equipment. I sure wouldn't trust a dealer on suspension work. No need to replace the TT, upgrade and have a better one. We had a previous brand new TT in to a frame and axle shop and couldn't believe what they found and it led to getting the TT replaced under warranty.

If you need to replace the axles anyway, I'd go with stronger ones. They're a straightforward bolt-in install so don't overpay for the work. Replace the stock cheapo plastic bushings and at least get the Lippert Never-fail ones or much better, get the Dexter wet bolt kit EZ-Flex equalizers. If you hadn't already, I would also upgrade to one load range higher tires.

FWIW, we also installed shocks on our TT. Really helps to stabilize the TT and tows way better. Recommended upgrade!


I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS


Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 01/12/19 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myredracer wrote:

We have factory installed 5200 lb axles on our TT when standard is 3500 lb. on it. Besides having stronger axle tubes and springs, it has the larger 12" brakes. Over 20,000 miles around 7 western states on all sorts of roads in the past 5 seasons and no issues.

If you don't want the expense of having to use 6-bolt wheels, axles can be ordered with a larger diameter 3" tube so you can use 5-bolt wheels. Going to a frame & axle shop is the best place to go as they can do a detailed inspection to ensure there isn't more going on than just bent axles and have all the required equipment. I sure wouldn't trust a dealer on suspension work. No need to replace the TT, upgrade and have a better one. We had a previous brand new TT in to a frame and axle shop and couldn't believe what they found and it led to getting the TT replaced under warranty.

If you need to replace the axles anyway, I'd go with stronger ones. They're a straightforward bolt-in install so don't overpay for the work. Replace the stock cheapo plastic bushings and at least get the Lippert Never-fail ones or much better, get the Dexter wet bolt kit EZ-Flex equalizers. If you hadn't already, I would also upgrade to one load range higher tires.

FWIW, we also installed shocks on our TT. Really helps to stabilize the TT and tows way better. Recommended upgrade!
Agree Except I am currently testing the never fails
I have had two units with the dexter grease bushings with so so results
At this point I think the never fails are gonna beat them out


bob2194

Cache,Ok Gateway to the Wichita Wildlife Refuge

Full Member

Joined: 11/28/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/12/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went to an axle shop showed them a picture of axle tag. They ordered a axle cost 125.00 and installed in about 2 hours. That was on a terry 33 ft trailer I also ordered new self adjustable brakes 4each and 4ea bearing set from etrailer. Total cost 250. I did it in the driveway with out any help. Super easy job.

* This post was edited 01/14/19 08:24pm by bob2194 *


20 year U.S Army veteran and still serving. Vehicle inspector (ARMY)
2018 Radiance 28QB pulled by 2018 F250 STX 6.2 Gasser
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/13/19 02:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob2194 wrote:

I also orderd new self adjustable brakes 4each and 4ea bearing set from etrailer. Total cost 250. I did it in the driveway with out any help. Super easy job.


I bought the brakes and bearing sets from etrailer. The garbage Chinese bearings failed, so I had to do it over again with quality Timken bearings.





GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/13/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought our camper, I made sure the axles would be more than adequate.
3500 pound axles, 3880 pounds on the factory sticker, 6000 pounds gross, over 2000 pounds cargo capacity
Fully loaded, we’re around 5000 pounds.
I’m really surprised how many people do not do their homework before spending a fair amount of money. Well, maybe not.


Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 01/13/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

When I bought our camper, I made sure the axles would be more than adequate.
3500 pound axles, 3880 pounds on the factory sticker, 6000 pounds gross, over 2000 pounds cargo capacity
Fully loaded, we’re around 5000 pounds.
I’m really surprised how many people do not do their homework before spending a fair amount of money. Well, maybe not.
Axles are so easy and cheap to upgrade, that it is not an overriding concern for me.
Other factors that are harder to change take priority.... Obviously if there is more than one TT that are equal except for axles, then the better axled one would win... That is not usually the case though.


Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/28/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/14/19 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a little excess capacity with my trailer. 2 3500# axles equaling 7000#. The GVWR of the trailer is 6500#, so even including the tongue, I'm still over by 500#.

GrandpaKip wrote:

When I bought our camper, I made sure the axles would be more than adequate.
3500 pound axles, 3880 pounds on the factory sticker, 6000 pounds gross, over 2000 pounds cargo capacity
Fully loaded, we’re around 5000 pounds.
I’m really surprised how many people do not do their homework before spending a fair amount of money. Well, maybe not.



Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Tire wear, bent axle, replace or trade
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS