|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Timbren/Axle Clearance for Empty '16 Ram 3500 SRW

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Me Again wrote:

Now far over the trucks 7K RGAWR are you running? Did you switch to 19.5 rims and tires?
7K RAWR. Stock OEM tires (combined) are rated for 7.2k. Will have less than 7k on the rear axle. Will reduce water, gear, or both, if need be. Will also be under 11.7k GVWR. As I stated, the camper scales empty at 2,950 lbs. As long as reasonable care is taken while loading it should be easy to stay under the truck's 7k RAWR (and 4k payload rating)

If I was hauling a larger Lance or Artic Fox, my 3500 SRW would be overloaded---even with the camper empty in many cases. Yes, in these situations 19.5's would help reduce the chance of a tire failure, but it doesn't raise the payload rating for the rest of the truck. Really liked the smallest/lightest Artic Fox, the 865, but with just a moderate option set weighs almost 3.7k empty (dealer scaled).

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Does the truck ride level with camper loaded? If so leave it alone.
Haven't picked up the camper yet. However, I've had 3,000 - 3,500 lbs. over the rear axle many, many times. Always sags approx. 3"---way too much for me. Get flashed non-stop by on-coming traffic at night.

11.7K GVWR means short box. You may find that you are removing weight from the front axle and be quite a bit over RGAWR. Just saying! Or depending of the camper and over head extension you may overload the
FGVWR of 6K.

Camper and SRW strike 1
Camper and short box strike 2

Let us know how it works out.

Chris

* This post was edited 01/10/19 07:07pm by Me Again *

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

11.7K GVWR means short box. You may find that you are removing weight from the front axle and be quite a bit over RGAWR. Just saying! Or depending of the camper and over head extension you may overload the RGVWR of 6K.

Camper and SRW strike 1

Chris
Sorry, Me Again, no strikes. It's 3 and 0 with the bases loaded--lol!

To repeat, the RAWR on my Ram 3500 SRW is 7k, not 6k.

Your might have had 1 strike on me if the camper's COG was behind the rear axle, but it's not.

This camper is specifically made to mount on a short bed truck. The camper's COG (empty) is located slightly in front of (to on top of ) the rear axle, so little to no loss of weight off the front axle---just like the placement of pin weight on a 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch. Of course, ultimately the COG is dependent on the proper loading of the camper. Got to make sure as much gear as possible is stowed on top of, or in front of the rear axle.

As for hauling a 2950 lb. empty camper (scaled weight) on a Ram 3500 SRW with 4k of payload---zero concerns. That easily leaves me with 1,000 lbs. for gear and water. I rarely carry more than 300-400 lbs. of gear. As for the FW tank, even if I filled it (240 lbs) which I never do, it's located in the very front of the camper (just behind the truck cab). Filling it would move the COG of the camper forward, splitting the weight of the tank more or less between the front and rear axles.

Bottom line, I'll be hauling a conservative and safe camper/truck combination: good COG, and well within axle ratings, GVWR, and payload. This camper cost almost as much as my truck. It's in my best interest to do it right [emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/10/19 07:08pm by otrfun *

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Me Again wrote:

11.7K GVWR means short box. You may find that you are removing weight from the front axle and be quite a bit over RGAWR. Just saying! Or depending of the camper and over head extension you may overload the FGVWR of 6K.

Camper and SRW strike 1

Chris
Sorry, Me Again, no strikes. It's 3 and 0 with the bases loaded--lol!

To repeat, the RAWR on my Ram 3500 SRW is 7k, not 6k.

Your might have had 1 strike on me if the camper's COG was behind the rear axle, but it's not.

This camper is specifically made to mount on a short bed truck. The camper's COG (empty) is located slightly in front of (to on top of ) the rear axle, so little to no loss of weight off the front axle---just like the placement of pin weight on a 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch. Of course, ultimately the COG is dependent on the proper loading of the camper. Got to make sure as much gear as possible is stowed on top of, or in front of the rear axle.

As for hauling a 2950 lb. empty camper (scaled weight) on a Ram 3500 SRW with 4k of payload---zero concerns. That easily leaves me with 1,000 lbs. for gear and water. I rarely carry more than 300-400 lbs. of gear. As for the FW tank, even if I filled it (240 lbs) which I never do, it's located in the very front of the camper (just behind the truck cab) so the COG of the camper would move forward splitting the weight of the tank more or less between the front and rear axles.

Bottom line, I'll be hauling a conservative and safe camper/truck combination: good COG, and well within axle ratings, GVWR, and payload. This camper cost almost as much as my truck. It's in my best interest to do it right [emoticon]

My typo. Should have been FGAWR of 6K depending on camper over hang. Given that the dry weight of the front axle is around 5,100 lbs, you only have around 900 lbs to play with up front.

What is the model, year and make of camper?

OH, and BTW I have a 3500 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin short box. Chris

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

My typo. Should have been FGAWR of 6K depending on camper over hang. Given that the dry weight of the front axle is around 5,100 lbs, you only have around 900 lbs to play with up front.
Scaled weight of my truck's front axle (empty) is typically 4900-4950 lbs. Regardless, if I load this camper properly, this weight will remain more or less static. The rear axle scales at approx. 3,000 lbs. empty and has a RAWR of 7k. This leaves me with 4k of rear axle capacity. More than enough capacity to handle this camper, gear, and water, securely and safely.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" Ram 3500 SRW with 4k of payload---zero concerns" PAYLOAD is not JUST on the rear axle.

BOTTOM line if you care what RAM cares about is what weight is on EACH axle. The GVWR is JUST a number for licensing/insurance purposes. Be at or under your axle weights and "IF" you end ups over your GVWR simply add tonnage to cover.

Load that sucker up with it actually how you are going to use then take it to the scales. Post a pic of weights with your door sticker, THAT will tell the TRUE story.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's an awful lot of handwringing going on about a setup that doesn't seem that close to being a problem weight-wise. He should have 3900-4000 lbs to play with on his rear axle which is where the bulk of the weight will be added, and his tires have an extra 280 lbs of safety margin over the 7k lb RAWR. I doubt I'd even bother rolling over a scale with that setup.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would ask the mod/adm to move you over to the truck camper forum. Some one over there may have the same exact combo/setup.....and offer you more choices for safely up grading your truck rear suspension for carrying those big high COG 3k-6k truck campers.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

OH48Lt

Whitehouse, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used Timbrens on 2 trucks. The first was an F250 diesel with the 10K package. The Timbrens came in at 3/4" over the axle, using the spacer. Didn't see any difference in unloaded ride. They worked well on the few times I had to pull a heavy 5ver (41 foot triple slide). The second is my current truck, a 2011 F150 Eco crew cab. They are installed at 1", without the spacer. I can see a difference in unloaded ride, as the suspension on that truck moves up and down a lot more than the F250. On medium to hard bumps, the rear axle hits those Timbrens and I can feel the difference. When loaded with anything heavy (I've hauled a car car hauler trailer and loads of pavers), the truck does not squat any more, and the ride and handling is good.

Put them in, probably don't need them with your big truck, but they won't hurt.

2011 Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OH48Lt wrote:

I've used Timbrens on 2 trucks. The first was an F250 diesel with the 10K package. The Timbrens came in at 3/4" over the axle, using the spacer. Didn't see any difference in unloaded ride. They worked well on the few times I had to pull a heavy 5ver (41 foot triple slide). The second is my current truck, a 2011 F150 Eco crew cab. They are installed at 1", without the spacer. I can see a difference in unloaded ride, as the suspension on that truck moves up and down a lot more than the F250. On medium to hard bumps, the rear axle hits those Timbrens and I can feel the difference. When loaded with anything heavy (I've hauled a car car hauler trailer and loads of pavers), the truck does not squat any more, and the ride and handling is good.

Put them in, probably don't need them with your big truck, but they won't hurt.
Thanks! Good to hear some realworld feedback.

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

" Ram 3500 SRW with 4k of payload---zero concerns" PAYLOAD is not JUST on the rear axle.

BOTTOM line if you care what RAM cares about is what weight is on EACH axle. The GVWR is JUST a number for licensing/insurance purposes. Be at or under your axle weights and "IF" you end ups over your GVWR simply add tonnage to cover.

Load that sucker up with it actually how you are going to use then take it to the scales. Post a pic of weights with your door sticker, THAT will tell the TRUE story.
You're quoting/dissecting this one post, out of context. You failed to acknowledge the entire (and related) posts with Me Again where I referenced the camper's COG, and how dynamic it can be. Bottom line, the rig's overall COG determines the distribution of front and rear axle weights.

* This post was last edited 01/11/19 11:21am by otrfun *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Timbren/Axle Clearance for Empty '16 Ram 3500 SRW
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS