RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Would you..

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Would you..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Geewizard

E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No advice on gas tanks for you. (I use steel NATO cans in carriers mounted on the back wall of the camper).

BUT.....this is the first time I've seen another Go-Devil 35hp Surface Drive owner on this forum. I had one for quite a few years in Alaska and loved it. I had mine on a Lowe 18x48 jon boat with a roll bar.

* This post was edited 01/11/19 07:38am by Geewizard *

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
Mary Kitchen Roast Beef Hash
220W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Library Books
Wave 3 Heater

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billyray50 wrote:

This is how I carried my gas can for Honda for last two years.

[image]

I think I've seen that pic before. I know you said it didn't cause any over heating issue, but that looks scary.
I do have a front receiver. I'm looking around for some kind of steel wire/mesh box that I could mount on my cargo carrier. Or just go to specific mount/lock thing for a gen and a NATO can. Then carry the empty Berg tank in the basement or a rear cargo box.
But the thought of a gas can leaking and spraying a hot engine is kinda scary too.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where I camp it wouldn't take long for black box to register 200F inside.
Definitely not good for gasoline cans.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geewizard wrote:

No advice on gas tanks for you. (I use steel NATO cans in carriers mounted on the back wall of the camper).

BUT.....this is the first time I've seen another Go-Devil 35hp Surface Drive owner on this forum. I had one for quite a few years in Alaska and loved it. I had mine on a Lowe 18x48 jon boat with a roll bar.

I wanted one for years. Tried to buy a long tail from a co-worker duck hunting buddy but he wasn't interested in selling. So I bought a new one. I originally had a 23 HP longtail. But after bouncing off the docks and fighting it to get back on trailer, I sold it and bought the new 35HP surface drive. I don't know how much longer I'll keep it though. I got it to get back to duck hunting and chasing redfish in the marsh with my son. Now he has 2 babies and is working a lot of hours. I'm a bit tired of the "workout" operating it all day anyway! LOL I'm thinking just for me an outboard would work fine. I'm looking at Alweld tunnel with maybe a 40-50HP. I want something for relatively shallow water that is a bit too shallow for my bay boat.
Did you run yours with a rock guard? My perception is Alaska has rocky rivers.

Geewizard

E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

Geewizard wrote:

I wanted one for years. Tried to buy a long tail from a co-worker duck hunting buddy but he wasn't interested in selling. So I bought a new one. I originally had a 23 HP longtail. But after bouncing off the docks and fighting it to get back on trailer, I sold it and bought the new 35HP surface drive. I don't know how much longer I'll keep it though. I got it to get back to duck hunting and chasing redfish in the marsh with my son. Now he has 2 babies and is working a lot of hours. I'm a bit tired of the "workout" operating it all day anyway! LOL I'm thinking just for me an outboard would work fine. I'm looking at Alweld tunnel with maybe a 40-50HP. I want something for relatively shallow water that is a bit too shallow for my bay boat.
Did you run yours with a rock guard? My perception is Alaska has rocky rivers.

I started with an 18hp longtail then went to a 23hp longtail and then bought one of the first 35hp Surface Drives, all on my 18x48 Lowe jon boat. I didn't have the rock guard on any of them. I ran my Go-Devil in the Chena, Tanana, Yukon, and Wood rivers near Fairbanks, and on the North Slope, the Sagavanirktok/Ivishak rivers. The last two had rocks but they weren't much of a problem. The Interior AK rivers were mostly silt and gravel.

[image]

* This post was edited 01/12/19 02:05pm by an administrator/moderator *

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very good looking rig. I like that roll bar.
If you ever watch "Lone Star Law" you may see what the Texas Game Wardens use on the Rio Grande...a long pipe that arcs the length of the boat that they hang on to when things get radical. Looks like it would keep those low hanging limbs off as well.
My motor looks the same except it's galvanized. Similar Cajun tilt mechanism. Mine has been very dependable except the hand throttle "paddle" mount cracked my last trip..plastic.

Geewizard

E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bar gave me a lot of support when turning or going over beaver dams, logs, silt bars, etc. And it was a good brush guard too. I could also put a tarp from the top to the bow to cover people and stuff.

I put on a twist-grip motorcycle throttle which had a friction screw on it. I liked it much better than the paddle throttle for long cruises and it made high speed turns a lot easier and more fun.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.....

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m a boater and ex race boater and I’ve never seen this.
Love the thread hijack, heck before we were blabbing about gas cans lol...

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geewizard wrote:

The bar gave me a lot of support when turning or going over beaver dams, logs, silt bars, etc. And it was a good brush guard too. I could also put a tarp from the top to the bow to cover people and stuff.

I put on a twist-grip motorcycle throttle which had a friction screw on it. I liked it much better than the paddle throttle for long cruises and it made high speed turns a lot easier and more fun.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.....

Hijack away....if I keep this thing I'll put a Gatortail hand throttle on it, similar to a motorcycle clutch or brake lever. I've heard others did a twist throttle but said it got more than interesting in turns. I always wear my kill switch, but most definitely with a twist throttle.
I've got mixed emotions about the whole mud motor thing. There is a bit of pressure to ban them. Federal refuges ban anything over 25hp and a prop size over 9". Trying to keep mud motors out. I understand the issue. Mud motors can be destructive if used irresponsibly. Many around here are.
Check out: mudmotortalk.com Just click on the picture when it comes up and go to the forums. Usually some interesting videos too.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

I’m a boater and ex race boater and I’ve never seen this.
Love the thread hijack, heck before we were blabbing about gas cans lol...

Fairly popular along the Gulf Coast for getting into, and hopefully out of, very shallow and thick marshes. Most will run in 1-3 inches of water or wet mud.
I think they originated in SE Asia. GoDevil in Baton Rouge Louisiana was one of the early builders. Lots of young guys get them and then hot rod them with different exhausts, carbs, cams, etc. Most engines are Briggs & Stratton Vanguard but Kawasaki, Kohler, and Subaru are in it too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Would you..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS