RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Just venting....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Just venting....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
goufgators

Crawfordville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've owned MH's with both 30A and 50A service (not the same MH [emoticon]. Our current MH has 50A service. There are, of course, advantages to having the higher amp service such as simultaneously running both a/c units, microwave and other draws. However, and frankly, I miss the 30A with its much smaller and easier to handle cord. The 50A cord, particularly in cold weather, is at times, like trying to return it to the storage bay as if it were a 20' 2x4 board. I know there's no solution to this problem but just had to get it off my chest. Don't think I'll ever buy another MH with 50A service. Well, actually, don't think I'll ever buy another one...period. Age is catching up with me and it won't be long before we'll have a 'hanging up the keys' ceremony...

PS Can someone direct me to instructions on how to change my signature. The MH listed was three MH's ago. Presently have a 2017.

2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Click on My Forums, then My Profile. Make your changes and click on Submit at the bottom left of the page.
However, you will probably get 'An error has occurred' message.
The system has not been working lately.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goufgators wrote:

We've owned MH's with both 30A and 50A service (not the same MH [emoticon]. Our current MH has 50A service. There are, of course, advantages to having the higher amp service such as simultaneously running both a/c units, microwave and other draws. However, and frankly, I miss the 30A with its much smaller and easier to handle cord. The 50A cord, particularly in cold weather, is at times, like trying to return it to the storage bay as if it were a 20' 2x4 board. I know there's no solution to this problem but just had to get it off my chest. Don't think I'll ever buy another MH with 50A service. Well, actually, don't think I'll ever buy another one...period. Age is catching up with me and it won't be long before we'll have a 'hanging up the keys' ceremony...

PS Can someone direct me to instructions on how to change my signature. The MH listed was three MH's ago. Presently have a 2017.

There are solutions to your issue. many have switched to SOO or SOOW 50 amp cable much more flexible and a bit lighter. In the picture below is my old about 25' OEM plastic coated 50 amp cable foreground and in the background in a 3 gallon bucket our 40' SOOW 6/4 cable.

[image]

Closeup of the cable in the bucket.

[image]

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered an electric cord reel?

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a 50 to 30 adapter and a 30amp cord...back to the good old days and problem solved.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a solution, see above. You just need to buy a better cord.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

goufgators wrote:

There are solutions to your issue. many have switched to SOO or SOOW 50 amp cable much more flexible and a bit lighter. In the picture below is my old about 25' OEM plastic coated 50 amp cable foreground and in the background in a 3 gallon bucket our 40' SOOW 6/4 cable.

[image]

Closeup of the cable in the bucket.

[image]

This is exactly what you need to do. It's a bit pricey but well worth the price. Here is what you need from Home Depot. May be able to find it cheaper elsewhere. Go to HD and check it out. You will find it is much easier to roll up.

Clicky

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

tchil

Woodland Park, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And for the signature thing, click My forums at the top of the page and then click My Preferences. That is where your signature lives.

Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

sailor_lou

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As noted above, installing a power cord reel is pretty simple. I even added a wireless remote so extending/retracting the cable is at the touch of a button on the FOB as I walk the connector to and from the pedestal. For me, it well worth the cost and effort.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Store in a heated area!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Just venting....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS