|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford Explorer going back to rear wheel drive platform

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lessmore wrote:

I like it, looks like the previous Explorer and to my eye, that's good. Always thought the Explorer was the nicest looking mid size SUV. I do like the fact that it's going to be rear wheel drive. I prefer RWD to FWD.

But I have one question. As both Ford and GM are going gung ho on replacing their internal combustion engines within the next 10 years..is this the swan song for the IC Explorer ?

Ford certainly plans to test the waters but until someone puts in a charging network like or better than Tesla's I don't see it going very far. And I haven't seen anyone volunteer to put in that network other than Tesla. Ford may have to stick with hybrids or PHEVs like the Lincoln Aviator coming out soon.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Fordlover wrote:

Tow rating will go from 3,500 on current model to >5,000 so much better in my book.

Still incredibly shy of the 7,000 rating my 2002 Explorer has.
I believe the tow rating for the V-6 365hp is 5600# for the New Explorer .

My ‘’13 Explorer Limited with the factory tow pkg has a 5k lb tow rating.

And yes they are still shy of the 7500 lb rating my ‘01 V-8 Limited has.
Personally I would be uncomfortable towing more then 4k# with old or new style with a short wheelbase. I could see towing a small fishing boat or around a 16' RV under 4k loaded.

I used to tow a 27ft Award TT with a 95 4dr 4.0L Explorer. It was never an issue here in the flat Midwest power wise. The 5.0 wouldve been better off. It was very stable with a single friction bar. I can only imagine how good it would’ve been with the Reese Dual Cam.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/19 12:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Lessmore wrote:

I like it, looks like the previous Explorer and to my eye, that's good. Always thought the Explorer was the nicest looking mid size SUV. I do like the fact that it's going to be rear wheel drive. I prefer RWD to FWD.

But I have one question. As both Ford and GM are going gung ho on replacing their internal combustion engines within the next 10 years..is this the swan song for the IC Explorer ?

IC engines are going to be around for a long time.

I hope you're right and I much prefer an IC.

I can't see how an all EV will work in the Canadian prairies, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, given the extreme cold winters, long distances between towns and from what I can see a lack of electric charging infrastructure systems in these relatively sparsely populated areas. I live in this region and like it and the IC works very well up here.

I think the new Ford Explorer coming out with it;s turbo V6, RWD and 4WD would make a fine vehicle in this region.

Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/19 12:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Lessmore wrote:

Ford certainly plans to test the waters but until someone puts in a charging network like or better than Tesla's I don't see it going very far. And I haven't seen anyone volunteer to put in that network other than Tesla. Ford may have to stick with hybrids or PHEVs like the Lincoln Aviator coming out soon.

I agree completely with you.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/19 01:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Lessmore wrote:

I watched Motor Trend Sunday and they showed a map of the alternative fuels corridors in the US, not only EV but LPG and CNG. I-135 was the only one in Kansas. I don't see how it could be profitable or feasible for remote areas.

Opinion on my part but I would think the niche for EV'S would be for commuter cars that had established routes. Large cities could cut down on emission as well.

I have been know to drive 900 miles in one day and don't see a EV being practical for myself, especially if you add the additional load of a RV.

Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Ford is wise in offering for the 2020 Explore a Hybrid model. A hybrid IC/ EV is a good compromise, IMO.

Explorer Hybrid has 318 hp...long range

* This post was edited 01/15/19 09:52pm by Lessmore *

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's the Ford Explorer ST with 400HP.

Link

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford Explorer going back to rear wheel drive platform
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS