|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> SAFETY WARNING FOR TOADS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My brother started full timing this year and yesterday while disconnecting the Toad he noticed there was something wrong with the RV side of the tow receptacle. When he got underneath the back of the RV he found the tow hitch was bolted to the frame but that the frame had cracked where the two bolts are installed. The crack is about 4" long and if not discovered likely would have resulted in the separation of the Toad from the RV. I am to sure of the Model but the RV is a Thor product, 38' long and only a couple of years old.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

* This post was edited 01/10/19 10:10am by aksnowman *

AK Snowman
Eagle River AK

DutchmenSport

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delete

* This post was edited 01/20/19 08:24pm by DutchmenSport *

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another example of why the breakaway cable should NOT be attached to the receiver. If the receiver detaches from the TV, the breakaway will never activate. The breakaway cable should alway be attached to some other portion of the TV. Only needs to be strong enough to pull the pin on the breakaway switch. The majority of the rigs I see have the breakaway cable attached to the safety chain loops on the receiver.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems to me that is proof of the recommendation that "safety chains" should not be connected only to the hitch, but should also be connected from the hitch to the frame!
Yes, I need to check mine and verify that there are chains from the receiver to the frame, and that the chains are connected to the toad frame, not just to the tow brackets...

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, but from talking to him it is something that should be 99.9% error free. It looks like a serious design issue that needs to be addressed. He is in contact with Thor, Ford and the Frame maker. I asked him to contact the NTSB. He found a few other instances of this happening. In the aviation industry this type of failure would result in a fleet inspection at minimum. It only takes a few minutes to inspect.

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

Seems to me that is proof of the recommendation that "safety chains" should not be connected only to the hitch, but should also be connected from the hitch to the frame!
Yes, I need to check mine and verify that there are chains from the receiver to the frame, and that the chains are connected to the toad frame, not just to the tow brackets...

You are absolutely correct on that. I will also be looking to modify mine.

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

Another example of why the breakaway cable should NOT be attached to the receiver. If the receiver detaches from the TV, the breakaway will never activate. The breakaway cable should alway be attached to some other portion of the TV. Only needs to be strong enough to pull the pin on the breakaway switch. The majority of the rigs I see have the breakaway cable attached to the safety chain loops on the receiver.

Agreed, Just read the post below yours about safety cabling the hitch to the frame. Only issue is the frame is what cracked and if that happens to the the cause of a future incident then the compromised frame might not hold. But worth taking doing just the same.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had 6 Class A's and every one of them had the hitch WELDED to the frame. I Wonder why Thor went with a bolt on hitch. Not saying that a bolt on is bad, but I never had any issues with my welded on hitches.

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

I've had 6 Class A's and every one of them had the hitch WELDED to the frame. I Wonder why Thor went with a bolt on hitch. Not saying that a bolt on is bad, but I never had any issues with my welded on hitches.

Agreed, but if the frame cracked from the towing, the bolts are fine.

DutchmenSport

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delete

* This post was edited 01/20/19 08:24pm by DutchmenSport *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> SAFETY WARNING FOR TOADS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS