|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> SAFETY WARNING FOR TOADS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aksnowman wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

I've had 6 Class A's and every one of them had the hitch WELDED to the frame. I Wonder why Thor went with a bolt on hitch. Not saying that a bolt on is bad, but I never had any issues with my welded on hitches.

Agreed, but if the frame cracked from the towing, the bolts are fine.

Welding spreads the load out over a much larger area than bolts.

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the hitch was an after-market hitch, added on after the original purchase.

Original equipment

For the OP: Did your brother purchase the Motor Home brand new or used? If used, it's possible the previous owner had the hitch installed. And rather than welding, used the bolt-on method.

Bought it used but this hitch is original equipment

If this is the case, it's possible the frame was never intended to support a hitch capable of towing anything.

This Thor Product with the original tow hitch is rated well above the weight of the toad.

My previous trailer (Thor product) had a receiver hitch on the back, clearly labeled with a weight limit and clearly labeled not for towing.

This is not a trailer or with wheel which I would not tow with nor recommend towing with

My current 5er came with a factory installed hitch (welded) and it si clearly labeled with a weight limit and clearly labeled, Not For Towing. So, just wonder if the hitch was an after market?

I would expect Thor Industries to have welded components. I've never seen one that was not.

Me too, but Brother says he found this same problem occurred on a similar Thor product back in 2015. not welded then too... Welding is more expensive until hindsight is applied. LOL

AK Snowman
Eagle River AK

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From the picture above.
this is due to overload (weight) bearing down on the ball, using the rearward extension as a lever to twist the hitch.
to me this is the user's fault. or the poor frame quality material.

to note the, frame isn't as thick as the hitch.

One more reason I'd never own a Thor

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad he caught it! frequent inspections go a long way towards safety. Personally I wouldn't bother notifying the Ford, the RV manufacturer or NTSB or anything. None of them are going to admit to anything, or do anything about it. They will just say he overloaded it.

Take it to a good welder and let him go to town.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

DutchmenSport

Over There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delete

* This post was edited 01/20/19 07:57pm by DutchmenSport *

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

I'm able to see the image now. I can't believe Thor installed it that way. It had to be installed by second-party, not the manufacturer. If using bolts, the bolts should have gone through the frame (Horizontal-sideways), not on the bottom, (up and down vertical). No, this is after market, never intended by the manufacture to tow anything. Frame is too light. You can see that, especially compared to the hitch metal. Also, hitch looks much newer than the frame of the MH. In my opinion this is a result of overloading. Here again, is the brother the first and original owner?

Wrong my Dutchman friend... Check their specs site...

Rear HitchRear Hitch TypeReceiverTongue Weight 500 lbs. Tongue Weight (kgs)226.8

Towing Capacity 5,000 lbs.

Their specs/their equipment

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

Glad he caught it! frequent inspections go a long way towards safety. Personally I wouldn't bother notifying the Ford, the RV manufacturer or NTSB or anything. None of them are going to admit to anything, or do anything about it. They will just say he overloaded it.

Take it to a good welder and let him go to town.

Sure and how quilt should one feel when not reported and someone else's toad breaks free, causes damage to other's property, causes injury or death. Not sure how well he or I would sleep at night not having tried to do the right thing...

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

From the picture above.
this is due to overload (weight) bearing down on the ball, using the rearward extension as a lever to twist the hitch.
to me this is the user's fault. or the poor frame quality material.

to note the, frame isn't as thick as the hitch.

One more reason I'd never own a Thor

Came real Close to calling you an ass... Stating this for the last time... Original Equipment installed during the manufacturing process. Original owner bought the RV with the standard tow hitch installed, the one you see in the picture.

People, the is about getting the information out about a seriously dangerous problem. Not second guessing the installation, the use or the user. Please get the word out to Thor owners. It won't hurt to take a look at your own hitch.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aksnowman wrote:

...It won't hurt to take a look at your own hitch.
I came home from a cross-country trip one year. Same deal... removing the hitch and something seem different and I noticed a weld where the receiver mounted to the assembly that attached to the frame had a crack in it. Right down one side of the receiver tube. A marine welder friend said it was just a bad weld from the factory, and then he fixed it.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> SAFETY WARNING FOR TOADS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS