|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> SAFETY WARNING FOR TOADS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it's worth the images are 10 minutes old and taken of a 12 year old Thor Hurricane 31D gas chassis coach. The hitch is bolted to extensions welded to the chassis. Lots of miles since 2011 towing a 2005 CRV and a 1998 Accord. Prior to spring of 2011 no idea what the first owner towed.

Initial impression of the failure image it really looks like at some point the hitch was overloaded for vertical weight somehow. Owners of gas chassis rigs really have to watch the weight when towing. There's a lot of frame and extensions behind the rear axle. Makes for a rather efficient level using the axle as a pivot point. Extensions also have to be considered.

The average rig is only rated for 500 lbs vertical. For horizontal weight it's a difficult target to meet. There are new production rigs with 8K lbs advertised tow limits but when you do the math it is very difficult to make the combined weight other than with a very light loading of the coach.

[image]

[image]

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at the photo is that not the sub frame with the horns attached to the toad not the MH?
At any rate ours is welded on the Mh and on the toad we have the tow sub frame and bolts checked that are attached to the toad.
So far so good in 12 years+. Six years+ on this toad. Ours is a Roadmaster.

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good post...brings out the fact that everyone should get down under their coach and inspect their towing assembly every now and then.

Stuff happens.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildmanbaker wrote:

From the picture, that is the Ford frame that has failed, not an extension added by the Thor. I can't say for sure, but it looks like someone used a weight distributing hitch with this setup, that it was not designed for one. More than likely, the factory information packet also says to not use a weight distributing hitch either.

Take another look. There is clearly an extension slipped into the factory frame and welded. The extension failed right to the intersection of it and the factory frame. This one is on Thor.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like an add on.

There is no rust on the underbelly, "except" for where that is bolted on.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

Take another look. There is clearly an extension slipped into the factory frame and welded. The extension failed right to the intersection of it and the factory frame. This one is on Thor.

I totally missed that the first go round. it shows the weld seam vertical to the crack.

I'd put this on Thor too. and possibility owner misuse. but it looks way to easy to overload.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

Bruce Brown wrote:

I totally missed that the first go round. it shows the weld seam vertical to the crack.

I'd put this on Thor too. and possibility owner misuse. but it looks way to easy to overload.
I don't believe that is a welded extension at the break point. Look closely; the vertical weld right at the end of the break is an L-bracket welded to the frame, not an intersection/joint.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dale.Traveling wrote:

For what it's worth the images are 10 minutes old and taken of a 12 year old Thor Hurricane 31D gas chassis coach. The hitch is bolted to extensions welded to the chassis. Lots of miles since 2011 towing a 2005 CRV and a 1998 Accord. Prior to spring of 2011 no idea what the first owner towed.

Initial impression of the failure image it really looks like at some point the hitch was overloaded for vertical weight somehow. Owners of gas chassis rigs really have to watch the weight when towing. There's a lot of frame and extensions behind the rear axle. Makes for a rather efficient level using the axle as a pivot point. Extensions also have to be considered.

The average rig is only rated for 500 lbs vertical. For horizontal weight it's a difficult target to meet. There are new production rigs with 8K lbs advertised tow limits but when you do the math it is very difficult to make the combined weight other than with a very light loading of the coach.

[image]

[image]

The mounting of the hitch with the plate on top of the frame sure looks better than what is on my brother's. Also the triangles (widgets) welded on the frame are additions that add strength that aren't on my brother's.

Question, are you using and extensions at the hitch or a riser to move the hitch up and down?

AK Snowman
Eagle River AK

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok for clarity, the frame extension is forward of the photo area and not any part of this problem so please drop that.

Second the owner or previous owner (Brother knows the guy as a neighbor) have not in anyway overloaded the the tow hitch so please stop with the arm chair quarterbacking saying it is possible owner overload. It just did not happen. Both present and previous owners towed within the weight limits and tongue limits. they only towed a small trailer with a golf cart on it and regular within limit toad.

There does look to be a welding blow thru at the l bracket but the other side cracked also and there is no bracket or weld there.

And no I am not mad or ill tempered about any of the posts, I do have a direct manner of communicating and can be sarcastic.

Lastly, on another Forum, it seems someone else has identified this problem on their rig. Which to me is a small success because that is one less tragedy on the road and means tat getting this out has a positive effect.

Thanks all for your inputs and keep them coming

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really can't tell from the picture, the near side looks like the ford frame rail, but the inside of the far rail looks different. Most of the manufactures extensions look like Dales pictures, square edges at the bends, not roll formed. Most manufactures extensions are really a cobbled-up mess of steel with some ugly welding.

Wildmanbaker

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> SAFETY WARNING FOR TOADS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS