|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> SAFETY WARNING FOR TOADS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well to support you Snowman, I agree inspections are advantageous, we're leaving soon on a trip so the RV is out front. I inspected the hitch, it is a hitch manufactured by someone other than Winnebago but it is a bolt on hitch not welded. The hitch is rated at 5K and 500 lbs. The factory label does say not to use with a WD hitch. And yes the receiver was installed at the Winnebago Factory.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster backplates

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While the hitch was original equipment, the RV was purchased used (according to the OP). That damage could only have been caused by either overloading the hitch with too much tongue weight, or reasonable tongue weight but using an extreme drop or hitch extension, or finally, the RV being backed into something with the hitch taking the blow. Since we don't know what the previous owner did, there's no way to tell which scenario caused the break. But it is still a good idea for ALL of us to routinely crawl under our rigs and LOOK at things.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That bracket in the photo.. Mine not only cracked it SPLIT at 55 mph right where the bend is Both of 'em broke,

Now the safety cables don't work in that configuration as they hook to the receiver on the bar the brackets hold
Nor did the break away as it too was hooked to the cross bar (it is no longer)

The US-gear brakes did stop the car safely along with the motor home (there was just enough left to keep it rolling) but I lost the rear wheel on my Bicycle. (It is carried on the hitch usign a dual adapter.. Tore it up bad) Got of to the side and with a bit of help from Ohio State Police got it apart. and the bicycle loaded in RV. got the wife installed in the towed and on to a fix-it-shop (Simmons Sons Service as I recall. they work on Train cars)

They built me new brackets. They SERIOUSLY built me new brackets. like 2x the thickness. plus reinforcement braces.. It works. NO problems since

NOTE use of a DROP/Rise hitch... Puts tremendous stress on that bracket.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

judelaurenzo25g wrote:

wildmanbaker wrote:

From the picture, that is the Ford frame that has failed, not an extension added by the Thor. I can't say for sure, but it looks like someone used a weight distributing hitch with this setup, that it was not designed for one. More than likely, the factory information packet also says to not use a weight distributing hitch either.

How can you tell a WDH was used? I don't see the hitch or the bars.
Did you catch that sentence? Have you ever removed an WDH stinger from the receiver, with the bars still attached? If you have, you know that their is considerable force usually up on the stinger. The bars tend to make a more fixed coupling between what is being towed and the TV. If the hitch is not a WDH, it can do just what you see in the photo. But then again, its just my experience.

Wildmanbaker

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our shop repaired similar frame damage on a mobile command center built on an F59 chassis a few years ago. The damage was caused by the vehicle backing into a low concrete wall.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

sundancer268

Charlevoix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like an old crack with what I think I see is rust where the metal cracked. This probably has been growing for a while if it was a fresh break there would be a bright shine to the broken pieces.

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Easy big guy, nobody said it was a bad weld. I was agreeing with your statement that "It won't hurt to take a look at your own hitch" because I too almost lost my hitch even though it was a factory installation and I had dragged a Jeep around for 30K miles before it became an issue.

Just a quick answer, wasn't meaning to seem ill tempered...

Were you using a riser or an extension?

AK Snowman
Eagle River AK

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sundancer268 wrote:

Looks like an old crack with what I think I see is rust where the metal cracked. This probably has been growing for a while if it was a fresh break there would be a bright shine to the broken pieces.

I was thinking the same thing. There is a spot by the l bracket that looks like the frame was weakened by the welder... do you see a burn thru?

But the other side was cracked the same and there is no welding on that frame.

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can forget about the use of a WDH... there never was one on this Class A. Brother tows a small truck and previous owner towed a small trailer with a golf cart on it.

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

I said that if the height difference was great, the force on the hitch could be greater, even if the tow bar WAS level. This is called leverage and that leverage will increase as the height difference increases. Hitches have a rated capacity when the load is level with the hitch receiver. If the drop hitch put the ball too low it could possibly have hit the ground at some point and put a lot of increased stress on the hitch/frame.

Now that point about a riser or extension is a good one... I will be asking him if he used one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> SAFETY WARNING FOR TOADS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS