|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> SAFETY WARNING FOR TOADS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, we seem to be getting information as people post things that may have been related to the failure, second-hand at that. If this is indeed a Thor problem, NTSB needs to informed of it.

Wildmanbaker

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd like to see a picture of the actual hitch that is being used; the drop specifically. I'd also like to see the same from the previous owner. It's quite possible that the previous owner, since they only towed a small trailer, was using a significant drop hitch; class A's typically have a fairly high rear bumper/hitch receiver, requiring a drop hitch, especially for a small trailer. That may have been in place and the PO backed into something (could have even occurred without the PO even knowing). The leverage that rgatijnet talked about can easily put much more force on that area than the actual weight. In any case, the damage has obviously been there awhile (the rust), although it may have just recently "opened up" so that the current owner noticed.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

irishtom29

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aksnowman wrote:

Also the triangles (widgets) welded on the frame are additions that add strength that aren't on my brother's.

Those are called gussets.

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Report form

Please get your brother to report this. Maybe it will initiate a recall that might save a life or two. When the government re-opens, that is.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevenal wrote:

Report form

Please get your brother to report this. Maybe it will initiate a recall that might save a life or two. When the government re-opens, that is.

He has calls into the manufactures and we are gathering all the info to contact the NTSB.

AK Snowman
Eagle River AK

aksnowman

Eagle River Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

irishtom29 wrote:

aksnowman wrote:

Also the triangles (widgets) welded on the frame are additions that add strength that aren't on my brother's.

Those are called gussets.

Thanks..

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aksnowman wrote:

The mounting of the hitch with the plate on top of the frame sure looks better than what is on my brother's. Also the triangles (widgets) welded on the frame are additions that add strength that aren't on my brother's.

Question, are you using and extensions at the hitch or a riser to move the hitch up and down?

I did when I was towing an Accord to reduce bar angle and to add a bike rack to the setup (didn't want to add a rack to the Accord). When I changed to a CR-V the drop coupler wasn't needed and the CR-V had a hitch receiver for the bike rack.

[image]

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildmanbaker wrote:

I really can't tell from the picture, the near side looks like the ford frame rail, but the inside of the far rail looks different. Most of the manufactures extensions look like Dales pictures, square edges at the bends, not roll formed. Most manufactures extensions are really a cobbled-up mess of steel with some ugly welding.

My hitch is on extensions and it would be a rare (not saying there are none) Ford chassis that didn't have extensions once a builder gets done with it. All F53 chassis are delivered with same rear overhang of 105.8 inches from rear axle center to the end of the frame.

Looking at the pic of the failure it is apparent that the hitch is attached to house builder added extensions. You can see the Ford frame on the right side of the edge near the fuel tank. Also in view is the last frame cross member. Of note is the frame section height is 9.2" at this point. If you follow the rail to where it disappears behind the hitch (Blue Line), when it reappears the lower edge (red line) of the rail is now several inches closer to the floor of the coach. Also you can see how the extension is bend on the far edge of the hitch (yellow line).

[image]

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dale, I believe you are correct. I just came in from sliding under our MH and measured the frame from the last cross member, and it is 18". Your other measurements are the same as our frame, except, ours is a Fleetwood and has the raised rail construction, which has 10" on top of the Ford frame rails. The rolled corners really had me fooled about it being the actual ford frame. I believe they should not wait for the manufacture to act, NTSB should be contacted quickly.

roam1

Gulf Breeze FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

looks to me the failure was casued by excessive torque where the hitch is bolted to the frame. This torque could come from overloading the hitch weight or from a sudden stop while towing with a drop down hitch. Say the toad brakes were not adjusted properly and you have a 5000# toad pushing on even a slightly dropped hitch ball, that can produce a heck of a lot of torque at the hitch mount point and easily exceed the torque max spec determined by weight and distance. Even though everyone thinks they don't overload their hitch, I bet they do occasionally.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> SAFETY WARNING FOR TOADS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS