|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> First look at travel trailers today at Camping World

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
breeves2245

Northwest Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did look at Bigfoot and Oliver. That is a completely different price range. If this was my second purchase and I felt real sure about what I wanted, I would not be hesitant to upgrade. I watched some YouTube production videos, both impressive.

Whatever I get, I want to be able to sell without too much of a hit. One more reason to lean toward the fiberglass rv's.

DutchmenSport

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delete

* This post was edited 01/20/19 07:54pm by DutchmenSport *

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Add 5 ft as a start.

It is crazy how small our 31 ft TT felt after three days of rain.

Towing a small trailer is slightly more nimble in a gas station but it’s not unbearable by any means to tow a larger one. You get use to the size pretty quick.

Remember when towing in tight spaces it’s all about the set up. Take up as much room as you need and think about your exits.

Regardless of the trailer you choose figure 8 mpg while towing to estimate your gas stops and then look on Google Maps at the satellite view along your planned route. Find gas stations that look like they will accommodate your rig.

Typically the Flying J, Pilots, and some T/A’s work great for TT’s. (Not the T/A or Loves south of Atlanta ... those two are ROUGH for trailers... IMHO.

But seriously, look at the largest trailer you envision for your use. Just know that for most of us, it’s about 5 ft too short on our first trailer.

Camping Worlds vary... some are great some are not. It depends on the people running the store.

JMHO based on experience.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Car Camper-Transport Vehicle is a 2016 Ford Fusion
Ozark Trail Tunnel Tent
Favorite Brands:
Coleman, REI, Ozark Trail, and misc. Yard Sale finds

Family time is the best time!

~It’s kind of fun to do the impossible~
- Walt Disney-

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

breeves2245 wrote:

I have the 5.3 with 3.73 rear end. So no issue.

Yeah, same thing all newbies say. [emoticon] Believe it, you won't want to be towing any more than 6000 lbs fully loaded with your Silvy, less would be even better. Our 19' Freedom Express typically averages 4500 - 4800 lbs loaded & ready to camp and I can sure tell I'm dragging nearly 2.5 tons behind me with my Silvy. [emoticon]

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lwiddis

Crestview area, Inyo County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"and 1,000 tongue weight."

SoundGuy is right. My Tahoe is rated to "pull" 8,500 pounds but 6,000 is a resonable limit. I'm 5,200 wet and loaded. You haven't discussed your truck's PAYLOAD...not the same as bumper weight limit.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed my 30ft. 6500lb Coleman with a 1500 Silverado 5.3, 3:73 rear end with absolutely no problem, even in mountains. I had no issue in gas stations for the most part although you do need to be able to size one up pretty quickly if you can get in and out. If its just you then 22-24 ft. would give you space for some comfort. I can't imagine being tucked into an Rpod for rainy days, not that I would melt from getting wet. Rain is only somewhat of a deterrent to some folks. Don't be too hasty to buy one. As others said, look for a lightly used unit. They are out there.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you had a short wheelbase vehicle, I'd say get the short trailer for sure. But with that pickup, it's not much of an issue.

I started with a popup, for just one summer. Didn't like it. Then a 23' Rockwood, nice but had to sell (2007) due to wife's med bills. She won't camp any more, so since then I've had a 17' Burro, then a 16' KZ, then a little Aliner. Now I'm camping out of my Li'l Hauley cargo trailer (an empty Snoozy shell). The Burro and Hauley tow noticeably easier (a couple mpg's higher) than the boxy trailers; they are more rounded, more narrow, and shorter so the wind resistance is less. Wind resistance will matter more than weight to a great degree for highway-speed towing.

I would recommend a TT that allows a full time bed (so you don't have to make it daily) and a comfortable place to sit (those upright dinette seats are the pits after a couple hours). A front bunk, side bath Scamp 16 would work; you can leave the dinette made up as the bed all the time, have the front set up as a 'sofa' and use a tv tray type of table for eating up front. The back cushion is canted so it's more comfortable. If you buy a boxy TT, I'd say try to keep the width at 7' or max 7.5'. Oh, and no slideout. JMO.

BTW, that KZ I owned for 3.5 years and it developed a roof leak shortly after I sold it. I felt bad for the new owner and went halfway with him on a re-seal.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll second the motion that if it's your first trailer, buy used and after a year or two of using it, you will have a better idea of what will be your ideal trailer. And, by buying used, you shouldn't take to much of a hit when you sell it.

In terms of smaller trailers, I suggest you check out the Winnebago line of trailers. They are better than entry level and they have a wide range of size and weight ratings. We had a 2014 Minnie 2201DS trailer and it was well made and we only had a couple of things that had to be done under warranty. If you want a 4 season trailer, look for used Arctic Fox but be aware that they tend to be heavier due to their construction, but are great for cold weather camping.

I can see why you would want a Casita or Oliver trailer. But after having some experience, you'll be in a better position to know what size will work for you and what amenities are important to you.

If you plan to camp without hookups, you will want to compare tank capacities and the ability to easily increase the number of batteries and/or solar panels for keeping them charged.

Good luck in your search!

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The nice thing about buying a used Casita or Scamp is that these fiberglass eggs hold their value much better than conventional construction. You can buy one, use it for a season or two, and sell it for close to what you paid.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were to go solo, I definitely would look at one of the eggs. I would also want a permanent bed and a bathroom.
A lot depends on your style of glamping. I tend to use the camper as a place to sleep and store my stuff. Others gotta have a large tv, DVD player, fireplace, recliners, etc. The majority are somewhere in between.
Enjoy the search.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> First look at travel trailers today at Camping World
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS