|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Prevost Bus or Newmar King Air

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We looked at the King Air when we were first deciding to upgrade the '08 Dynasty. Obviously, the King Air is a very nice well appointed coach.

Then, I started looking at Newell coaches which are extremely nice. Newell coaches have their own custom chassis built in Miami, OK. And, they are a platform built coach and probably the best in that category. One thing that drove me crazy are the bifold bay doors. You could really get a serious pinch if your hand is in the wrong place when closing.

The Prevost chassis's are a converted one piece shell. The shell is ordered by the converter so the slides are installed and built into the coach at the factory. The whole coach is driven to the converter from Canada to be turned into a motorhome. The coaches are painted first, then outfitted to the customers desire.

Prevosts are primarily built for the bus passenger transportation market. Prevost service centers, which are scattered around the country, are designed to get that coach 'back-on-the-road' as it is a revenue earning product. Prevost also offers road side assistance if needed from their service center.

We as Prevost coach owners, get the benefit of that service. The service centers are generally fully stocked and can handle EVERYTHING related to the chassis including the glass, window motors, tires, slide rooms, all suspension parts (which are very robust), engine, etc.

The coaches are designed (chassis) for ease of service. The major fan belt is held on with an air tensioner, release the air and you can change the belt in 15 min. on the side of the road (from what I'm told). The radiator can be removed from the side of the coach, access to most all engine components is amazing.

Prevost coaches have real front and rear bumpers that can withstand damage much better than a regular coach. And of course, there is a price tag attached to that strongly built chassis.

The windows are large in a Prevost coach so a two slide unit is very open and can appear to have as much room as a platform four-slide coach.

(No coach manufacture is perfect).

Safe travels,
MM.

* This post was edited 01/11/19 10:30am by Mr.Mark *

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

JCat

Big Apple, SoCal, Big D, everywhere USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all who replied, always great feedback.

To answer a few questions:

Newell's are great looking and we visited the factory to see how they are built.
We spend our winters at MCC in Indio for the last 8 years and I see 3 Newell repair trucks fixing their product 5 days a week for about 4 months every year.
Why does their product need that much work after the sale ?

As far as price I am looking to spend 200K to 350K and it seems there are some good RV's in that range with under 100k miles on the traders.

JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

200-350k puts you in a 2000-2004 Prevost

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The number of Prevost service centers across the country is critical. If you have a problem you want to know there’s a service center. . Add that to the number of converters across the country who will work on your Prevost and it’s a BIG deal.

I’ve read so many stories about dealer networks across the country that will put you off for weeks and some for months. And these may well be the same dealer you bought your motorhome from? I’ve never heard a Prevost owner talk about service problems!

You get a lot buying a Prevost, it’s more than just a pretty face. And your price range can get you a nice one for sure!

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

Or
King Aire

He still gets into a much later coach. The 2002-3 coaches won't have the modern electronics that a 2012-3 will have

* This post was edited 01/11/19 08:41pm by Tom/Barb *

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

mike brez wrote:

Or
Mountain Aire

OP said he wanted Prevost or King air

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Newell's are great looking and we visited the factory to see how they are built.
We spend our winters at MCC in Indio for the last 8 years and I see 3 Newell repair trucks fixing their product 5 days a week for about 4 months every year.

could it be Newell is the only mfg, with factory mobile service repair trucks
could it be Newell owners don't have to drive to an authorized service center
the service center comes to them ?

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

Quote:

could it be Newell is the only mfg, with factory mobile service repair trucks
could it be Newell owners don't have to drive to an authorized service center
the service center comes to them ?

Wizard, the answer is a big NO.

All Prevost converters will bend over backwards to service their customers.
I know that Liberty has their own service semi truck that will go to rallies to service their coaches.

Prevost converters sell 10 times the amount of Newell coaches. Just look when you are going down the interstate and count the number of Prevosts compared to Newell's. Nothing wrong with Newell's, they are not in the majority.

Safe travels,
MM.

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mean no disrespect but you cannot compare a Newmar Of any style or type to a Prevost! One is a bus while the other is a fiberglass motorhome. Mr. Mark said how a Prevost has front and rear bumpers and folks that is huge. Have you seen videos of a fiberglass coach in an accident with fiberglass flying everywhere? No fiberglass on a Prevost! Again, no disrespect it just is what it is.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

I mean no disrespect but you cannot compare a Newmar Of any style or type to a Prevost! One is a bus while the other is a fiberglass motorhome. Mr. Mark said how a Prevost has front and rear bumpers and folks that is huge. Have you seen videos of a fiberglass coach in an accident with fiberglass flying everywhere? No fiberglass on a Prevost! Again, no disrespect it just is what it is.

While I would agree with this 100%, and I'm a Newmar guy, you also have to consider what Tom/Barb is saying.

With the budget the OP is working with, are you better off with a 15-20 year old Prevost or a 5 year old top of the line Newmar?

For me that would be a tough call. I know how well our 11 year old Newmar has held up, but its still 11 years old. There are some things that are getting dated.

* This post was edited 01/12/19 06:46am by Bruce Brown *

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Prevost Bus or Newmar King Air
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS