|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Prevost Bus or Newmar King Air

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JCat wrote:

I am looking into getting my next RV and want to upgrade to either a

Prevost Bus (marathon, vantare, etc) or a

Newmar king air, all used.

I drove a new King air and and it was a great ride, but still had some wind noise at the door and windows.

I have not driven a Prevost yet, but I hear the ride is great and a lot less wind noise.

Also want to hear about insulation and cold air seeping in around the windows.

Anyway I would like to get input from those that own or have owned a Prevost and a King Air on the pro's and con's.

Thanks

First - Do not own either - BUT - Have a good friend with a Prevost, and have driven it often (Also helped with figuring out some of the issues he's had over the years) and Have driven many Newmar's and own a TS.

So you can take my advice with that Knowledge. $.02

Prevost is for a Million Mile Drive - But - you need to have a Heavy Duty Maintenance Fund, likely 6 figures over a few years. As an older Prevost will have a much higher list of Maintenance items that, will all cost more, as they are not built with the Same standard equipment as most production line Coaches.

Check into the number and type of A/C's - Generators - Heaters - Tires - electronics as they will all be different and Likely much more expensive to locate, replace and maintain.

If you just want to have people say "Oh that guy has a Prevost" - then ..........

King Air - will give you a lot of Bang and Glitter, so you will not feel Bad with that very Upper End Choice[emoticon]

Still, very high end but parts and Maintenance are just easier.

Is truly made to live in, so it's easier to set up and Enjoy (Not a bus that was converted, but a Top End MotorHome) almost everything is designed with the RV'er in mind, which just makes life in a CG Fun and Easy.

So in summation, if money is not a consideration and you are driving a couple hundreds of thousand miles in the next couple of years - literally coast to coast every month then the Prevost will be Nice.

But if you are bumping around for the next 5-10 years, going from CG to CG with maybe 10-15 thousand miles a year with a new CG every few weeks as you see the country, then the Production Coach would be MY Choice. (I would likely stop at say Mountain Air - little less Glitz - a lot more Bang for the Buck)

JMHO,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

univmd

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

15 year old Prevost vs. 5 year old King Aire. Tough decision for sure!

2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

univmd wrote:

15 year old Prevost vs. 5 year old King Aire. Tough decision for sure!

Not in my book. The newer appliances do not last as long as the older ones. I'm running a 23 year old Norcold and 23 year old Coleman A/Cs. In fact, the only appliance I've replaced are the TVs, but not because they broke but because I wanted to save on weight and power. The shop at the RV store where I work is regularly replacing appliances in 2 year old coaches, Newmars included.

I have rebuilt the Sealand 510 toilet one piece at a time [emoticon]

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

I mean no disrespect but you cannot compare a Newmar Of any style or type to a Prevost! One is a bus while the other is a fiberglass motorhome. Mr. Mark said how a Prevost has front and rear bumpers and folks that is huge. Have you seen videos of a fiberglass coach in an accident with fiberglass flying everywhere? No fiberglass on a Prevost! Again, no disrespect it just is what it is.

When/If you ever do crash the Prevost look at the cost of repair, where you must get it done vs, the fiberglass coaches.

We hit a bear on the Casier highway in 2017, I took pictures sent them to Newmar they gave me part numbers, I ordered the part, and it was waiting for me when we got home, Painted the new part, removed the broken one and installed the new piece.
Insurance paid the whole bill. $1300.00.
Prevost may be the best built coach. but fiberglass offers some advantages too.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

Mondooker wrote:

I mean no disrespect but you cannot compare a Newmar Of any style or type to a Prevost! One is a bus while the other is a fiberglass motorhome. Mr. Mark said how a Prevost has front and rear bumpers and folks that is huge. Have you seen videos of a fiberglass coach in an accident with fiberglass flying everywhere? No fiberglass on a Prevost! Again, no disrespect it just is what it is.

When/If you ever do crash the Prevost look at the cost of repair, where you must get it done vs, the fiberglass coaches.

We hit a bear on the Casier highway in 2017, I took pictures sent them to Newmar they gave me part numbers, I ordered the part, and it was waiting for me when we got home, Painted the new part, removed the broken one and installed the new piece.

Is it possible that the STEEL bumper on the Prevost might have just killed the bear and resulted in nothing more than washing the blood off of the front end? Just saying........

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Is it possible that the STEEL bumper on the Prevost might have just killed the bear and resulted in nothing more than washing the blood off of the front end? Just saying........

This is true, but I've seen bears bend a truck bumper that's much stronger than a bus bumper.

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

Mondooker wrote:

Wow you hit a bear and only $1,300.00 in damage.
Around here if the bear just scratched you bumper with its claw you couldent even get it painted for $1300.00 never mind parts also

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prevosts are made of a Kevlar/Fiberglass composite above the waist-line as is the rear/front caps which gives it a very smooth finish. The bay doors are metal.

The H3 chassis's are the taller ones (ours is the H3-45 VIP chassis), the XL's are generally the Prevosts with the stainless steel on the lower sides.

MM.

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That bear story is just crazy. A Prevost owner would simply reach down for the bottle kept in the leg pouch, open the side window and pepper spray that bear. Even a bear would know that and would look for the next fiberglass coach silly!

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

Wow you hit a bear and only $1,300.00 in damage.
Around here if the bear just scratched you bumper with its claw you couldn't even get it painted for $1300.00 never mind parts also

Yes, it happened so fast the bear ran out from the left side of the road. and almost made it, he just hit the lower right corner of the front cap, it simply unbolts.

I did the repair, and yes paint is expensive.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Prevost Bus or Newmar King Air
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS