|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Prevost Bus or Newmar King Air

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

That bear story is just crazy. A Prevost owner would simply reach down for the bottle kept in the leg pouch, open the side window and pepper spray that bear. Even a bear would know that and would look for the next fiberglass coach silly!

You'd be surprised how fast a bear is.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm curious how much would a front bumper cost for say a 2000
Prevost?

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

Mondooker wrote:

I mean no disrespect but you cannot compare a Newmar Of any style or type to a Prevost! One is a bus while the other is a fiberglass motorhome. Mr. Mark said how a Prevost has front and rear bumpers and folks that is huge. Have you seen videos of a fiberglass coach in an accident with fiberglass flying everywhere? No fiberglass on a Prevost! Again, no disrespect it just is what it is.

When/If you ever do crash the Prevost look at the cost of repair, where you must get it done vs, the fiberglass coaches.

We hit a bear on the Casier highway in 2017, I took pictures sent them to Newmar they gave me part numbers, I ordered the part, and it was waiting for me when we got home, Painted the new part, removed the broken one and installed the new piece.
Insurance paid the whole bill. $1300.00.
Prevost may be the best built coach. but fiberglass offers some advantages too.

If you hit another bear, you want to be in Oregon. Starting January 1st, it's legal to harvest road kill in Oregon. That would keep you in meat for a while, but you might need a bigger grill. Just curious, what was the fate of the bear ?

Retired Anesthetist. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS .Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey. Thorp T18, tons of tools and tons of junk.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T18skyguy wrote:

If you hit another bear, you want to be in Oregon. Starting January 1st, it's legal to harvest road kill in Oregon. That would keep you in meat for a while, but you might need a bigger grill. Just curious, what was the fate of the bear ?

Bear didn't die. got up and ran off. we drove 1/4 mile then got out to view the damage.

happened so fast.. see bear, bang.

holstein13

Fort Lauderdale, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a top of the line 2015 Newmar King Aire and I've had the pleasure of visiting Mr. Marks Prevost. His Prevost is much nicer than my King Aire. But you won't be disappointed with either.

There are great advantages to the Prevost, but there are also some minor quirks such as the steps are internal vs external and the exhaust in the rear is above the coach, not lower at the bumper. The quirk I disliked the most was the split windshield on the Prevost.

The Prevost is definitely a driver's coach. But as others have said, if you plan to spend a lot of time at the campground, maybe saving the money would make more sense.

2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holstein! Haven't seen you around in a while!

And, you certainly have a beautiful coach, glad to see that you still have it! I remember you giving me the complete tour inside and the bays too!

The only small advantage of a split windshield is each panel is about $450-$500 each, my brother is replacing (insurance) his one piece windshield on his '15 Allegro Bus at a cost of $4,000.

You really do get used to the seam in the middle but I felt just as you did, I liked the one piece windshield too. [emoticon]

Safe travels!
MM.

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, all I can say is I envy your quandary [emoticon]

Of course, the Prevost is a more luxurious coach but a 10-15 year newer Newmar makes it a tough call for sure. It seems like a bit of an apples and oranges debate not only for the original purchase price but because there will statistically more repairs (and more expensive repairs) with the Prevost. 10-15 years is a lifetime with respect to components inside an RV or bus getting rattled down the road. I'd personally lean towards the Newmar just because I really hate dealing with things when they break. The money to fix them and the time spent dealing with it are about equally frustrating to me. But that's just me. Everyone has different priorities.

I would also be sure to shop other brands maybe in between the two. Country Coach, Beaver, and Newell would all be on my radar. You are definitely into the upper end of coaches with a Newmar and Prevost but you kind of have the bookends of that class so to speak. A top of the line Newmar is kind of just breaking into the ultra-high class coaches and Prevost is at the top of the list. Lots of meat in between.

holstein13

Fort Lauderdale, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/19 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr.Mark wrote:

Holstein! Haven't seen you around in a while!
Thanks Mr. Mark,

We are still full-timing in the motorhome here in Asheville. So if you come to visit, please look us up. We love the area so much that we are actually building a house around the motorhome. It's beautiful. You'll have to see it to believe it.

--Paul

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/19 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 95 Safari
The body shell is aluminum, the end caps are fiberglass
The lower body panels and bay doors are stainless steel
The structural assembly square Alu tubing

Not all platform coaches are all fiberglass

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr.Wizard, they sure don't make'm like they used to.

MM.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Prevost Bus or Newmar King Air
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS