|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Class C and water

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
sltrawick

Panama City, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are taking a trip from Florida to Colorado this summer. We plan on stopping at truck stops to spend the night. My question is, do you fill your fresh water tank up or just bring jugs of water? We are towing a Jeep behind us and we are watching the weight.
We usually bring jugs of water. Have never filled up the fresh water tank, so it’s never been used.

Sharon-ME
Cameron-DH
Bella-11 - Dachshund/Chihuahua Mix-Chiweenie)
Panama City, FL
FSU SEMINOLES

2013 Class C Fleetwood Jamboree

Lwiddis

Death Valley!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of beautiful camping sites in the West without potable water...or any water at all. I travel with a full fresh water tank so I can stop anywhere. Fill and dump at every opportunity. Truck stops? Doesn’t sound like fun to me.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should fill your fresh water tank as it is meant to provide water for washing and the toilet, plus other uses. Shouldn't add too much weight to your overall load. We also haul fresh water jugs or bottled water in our tow behind Jeep so we don't have to worry about water supply in case we are in a CG w/o water or we want to boondock. Sanitize the FW tank with bleach and rinse out the tank before filling for the road trip. Add a little bleach to the tank when you fill it, maybe a half cup for 20-30 gallons.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always fill the fresh water tank, even if I will be camping in a place with hookups. If nothing else, it lets one use the toilet or wash lunch dishes while on the road.

Towing the jeep, assuming you're towing four down or using a dolly, adds little if any weight to the axles, which is what you mainly need to be concerned about. It also goes without saying that, say, fifteen gallons of water in jugs will weigh exactly as much as fifteen gallons of water in the tank. If weight is a big constraint, you could always fill the tank only partly.

Hank85713

Tucson, Az

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water weighs in at 8lb to the gal and we do not fill the water tank. I put in about 1/2 tank based on the water level meter comes out to about 15 gals. So the weight penalty is not that much plus we only use it for dish and hand washing and the toilet so really not a whole lot needs to be transported particularly if you stay in campgrounds where you can add as needed. We use the facilities in the campgrounds and have never used the bath/shower in any of the units we have had. Put a large ice chest in the tub/shower instead since the refrig is small in most cases. carry about 2 35 unit case of water and a couple of gallon jugs. have never needed more in our travels.

DavidandDayle

Guelph, Ont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only put in above the first or second sensor (I can see my tank as I fill). My wife uses bottled water for drinking and cooking purposes.
We freeze a bunch of smaller water bottles and load the fridge with them at the start of the trip. Later on we can drink them.

David and Dayle

Lwiddis

Death Valley!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“We use the facilities in the campgrounds...”

And if there are no facilities? An RVer from Arizona traveling without a full fresh water tank. Interesting.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fill my tank. That's what it is there for! I even drink from it (gasp!)

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 11:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much payload will you have after you load it up with all your stuff ?
That will determine how much water you can carry.

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are tight on capacity as well. On long travel days, a quarter tank is plenty for us to do the essentials for a day or two. That's how we travel. Once in the region we are staying in, I will travel with full tanks. As you do it more, you get a feel for when it is smart to be full and when it isn't necessary. Interstate travel, not necessary.

I never travel with zero water.

I realize accidents can happen anywhere, but if I am overweight, I'd rather be so on a country road at 45mph than a busy interstate at 65mph.

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Class C and water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS