|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Class C and water

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
js218

norwood pa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always travel with full water tank, rig holds 150 gallons

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 10 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope. Class C's are so close or over ccc that I am not going to run with all the tanks filled. Wastes gas too.

Fill it just enough for toilet use while on the road. Fill up when close to destination. There is always a place to find water.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the weight difference of water in a jug you purchased or the same amount of water in your fresh water tank? Time is up.....nothing!!!!

You are missing a great deal of functionality of your RV by not using the fresh water tank. Fill the tank (maybe not completely full if you are watching weights) then you can flush the toilet and take showers!

Staying at a truck stop? Why? There are so many better choices; even the Walmart parking lot will be better! Find nice city and state parks, choice boon docking locations, and even commercial campgrounds.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

full clean tank ,and we carry couple cases of drink water, we do drink from our tank some times ,try not to drink strange water, some times can upset your body system. if you know your tanks clean ,theres nothing wrong with drinking from it.p.s use cracker barrel or wal mart or a church for over night . church lots are great.three times I,ve been approached by the church and they insisted on running a electric cord out.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With our 30 ft. MH I run with a full or nearly full tank. Reasons- Once went to a state park(in winter) indicated as "open". Well, it was but bathrooms locked, and no water at the site and dump station closed. Walmart worked but short on water. Also, sometimes we use the bathroom a lot on the road. Thirdly, I don't have to fill the tank before setting up at a campground without water on site. Weight but worth it.

Jayco-noslide

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some class C's have weight issues when towing - if your rig is one of them then I would carry less water. Just remember to choose camping sites where water is available.

Kevin

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sltrawick wrote:

Have never filled up the fresh water tank, so it’s never been used.
So you've never used the toilet in your RV? Never used the sink to wash dishes? Wash your hands/face?

I've never quite understood buying an RV and not using half of it.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

sltrawick

Panama City, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for replying. A lot of good information. I appreciate it.

We do use the toilet and sinks, etc. we just use jug water for it. We don’t carry that much with us when we do. But we are reconsidering that now from all your suggestions.
Also, We don’t always stay in truck stops, sometimes Cracker Barrel, etc. ????

Again, thanks everyone !

Sharon-ME
Cameron-DH
Bella-11 - Dachshund/Chihuahua Mix-Chiweenie)
Panama City, FL
FSU SEMINOLES

2013 Class C Fleetwood Jamboree

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We consider all RV trips as somewhat of a "mini-expedition", and as such leave home with all tanks full that should be full and all tanks empty that should be empty.

We never know what situations can occur out on the open road and often don't know where we might be camping day by day. We leave home in our Class C with: 45 gallons of fresh water, 60 lbs. of propane (15 gallons in an 18 gallon tank), 55 gallons of main engine gas, extra gas for a portable generator, extra propane for a portable firepit, an empty 29 gallon grey tank, and an empty 39 gallon black tank. Plus we usually start out with at least 48 bottles of drinking water. We of course sometimes travel between campsites with all tanks full that should be full and all tanks that should be empty not empty (partially full but not yet emptied.). All of this is in addition to a whole of bunch of gear in internal and external storage areas.

However we did anticipate this RV'ing style when we bought our Class C. It's a small 24 footer, but built on the optional-at-the-time E450 chassis. We probably have at least 1500 lbs. of additional load carrying capacity when we leave home. I've not noticed any negative affects in handling of the RV whenever it's loaded like we do - but still well below it's design maximum. In fact, it rides better with this much weight loaded on it.

The freedom that a high margin of weight carrying capacity gives is what comes from what I call having a motorhome built with "chassis overkill".

* This post was last edited 01/12/19 08:55am by pnichols *   View edit history

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If all you ever do is go from FHU site to FHU site in good weather and well known roads then traveling without water onboard is not that bad.

That is not what we do. At departure, the potable is full, the black is empty and we will be a full fuel before the end of the first hundred miles.

Between October and April, we will always be provisioned for three days. We have often been held up for a day for weather in the off season. On one memorable occasion, that became two days. So, we sat in the parking lot in the nice warm coach and watch other people struggle to get somewhere.

We have often been held up for weather or road issues and the places we go often only barely have GPS coverage. If we could not run completely self-contained, it would be a sincere cramp for our style of traveling.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Class C and water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS